Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR questions...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuvik View Post
    Free floating handguards or rails do not touch the barrel. They attach near the reciever, and don't touch anything else on the gun (namely the barrel). The theory is that the barrel (and therefore accuracy) are not influenced by accessories or techniques which exert force on the handguard (and then barrel).

Regular (fixed?) handguards attach to the gun at both the reciever and front site base. Any force exerted on the handgards 'may' influence accuracy. They are generally less permanent and more easily changed FYI.

It is all about what you are trying to accomplish, and how much you want to spend.
    so if you are not going to have a front sight post you would need the free float anyway correct? which brings up another point, if you plan on some kind of scope wouldn't the front sight be in the way? Maybe it just looks like it would be.

I am looking to spend no more than $1500.00 to $2000. I have seen nice rifles such as DD and Noveske for $1500.00 and up, but I am not sure if I want to just buy something like that or piece my own together, thus the questions.

Just trying to learn and ask my own specific questions that pertain to my situation. I am learning and having fun doing so. I know sometimes people say "do a search" and I have been/and do but it helps to also ask when I can't find specifics. So thanks for the time and help to everybody.
    Last edited by jsf343; 09-30-11 at 13:36.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    jsf343, I'll send you a PM.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Purpose

Please define what you want to use the gun for. You have a good budget, and should be able to build/buy something that will meet your needs. It is really difficult to give input when you have not defined what the gun is to be used for.

Regarding your question about the scope and FSB, a search of the term 'co-witness' should provide some thorough answers.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
    Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Don't hesitate to use the search feature. This is Definitely one of the top resources for learning about ARs. That being the case, you have to assume that these sorts of questions have been asked before. All the information is there for you, just start at the stickies and search when you have questions

Edit: these threads might help you:

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in...p/t-32280.html
    https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-4734.html
    Last edited by totenkopf_u64; 09-30-11 at 14:32.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For the money, this might be a good carbine to start. Everything needed to get you shooting and the only extra is an RDS (Red Dot Sight) which is a good addition- http://palmettostatearmory.com/2557.php

I understand this doesn't give any explanations, but it might help you give your questions more focus. I know it can be frustrating for someone when asking questions about something they know little to nothing about.

This is just one option and there are other ARs available made by trusted names such as Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense and Noveske. Go to their websites and look at their rifles. PSA, who offers the above rifle is a new comer and hasn't yet fully proven themselves here, but what they have looks good so far. I have one of their rifle kits and the upper shoots good (I haven't finished assembling the lower yet. I hope to have it done this weekend).

It will take time to absorb all the information about ARs, so take your time and be patient. Also, what that information means to you can and will change as you gain experience in shooting and handling them.

Free float tubes eliminate influences the handguards will have on a barrel. They are nice but not needed. They can be added later if you decide you want one.

You won't know if the front sight post will interfere with the optics until you try it. It depends on the optic being used and personal preference. Most find the post with an RDS isn't a problem.

A basic AR with a flat top upper, fixed front sight, simple adjustable stock, standard pistol grip and forearm, in spec bolt carrier group and an in spec barrel of 16" cut to the government, M4 or lightweight profile will give you a good, utilitarian, all around carbine without spending money on features that aren't needed and a good foundation to modify as you learn what you need/don't need and want/don't want.

Welcome to the forum and the madness of BRD (Black Rifle Disease)
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-30-11 at 14:38.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsf343 View Post
    I am looking to spend no more than $1500.00 to $2000. I have seen nice rifles such as DD and Noveske for $1500.00 and up, but I am not sure if I want to just buy something like that or piece my own together, thus the questions.

Just trying to learn and ask my own specific questions that pertain to my situation. I am learning and having fun doing so. I know sometimes people say "do a search" and I have been/and do but it helps to also ask when I can't find specifics. So thanks for the time and help to everybody.
    I agree with Ra2. My advice generally mirrors his. You should listen.

The reason some of us buy rifles configured in a certain way right off the bat is that we've used AR's in just about every form. We've also used AR's in various roles and know what kind of setups work best for what application. Remember, the mission drives the gear. Gear doesn't drive the mission. For example, I personally know that I like longer rails made by Daniel Defense or Centurion for almost every application. I also know that I prefer 1-4X optics on my 14.5 / 16'' carbines over everything else. But that's just me and those preferences were only realized after using all of the alternatives. So here's what you should do:

Start with something basic! Then, as you use and get used to the AR platform, determine areas which you would like to see improved based on your own personal experience with the rifle. Maybe you'll feel that the stock pistol grip isn't working for you. Maybe you'll find that the standard sling attachment points aren't working for you. Maybe you'll find that the way you hold the rifle lends itself to a 12 o'clock X300 type setup rather than a 3 or 9 o'clock mounted light. The point is that you shouldn't be spending a ton of money right away in order to make your AR look like some asshole's rifle in an ARFCOM picture thread, because you think that's the way it's "supposed" to look.

Get yourself a rifle in basic configuration, a sling, and magazines. For those, I suggest:

A Colt 6920 in standard configuration like this.
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=6920 OR equivalent BCM offering.

One of LAV's adjustable 2 point slings like this:
    http://www.nettac.com/BFG-Vickers-VCAS-Sling_p_116.html

By starting out simple like this, you're leaving yourself completely open to pick and choose upgrades that you want down the road based on your own experience, without wasting money on accessories that you either don't need or won't like.
    Last edited by a0cake; 09-30-11 at 14:39.

Feedback Score
    Please define what you want to use the gun for. You have a good budget, and should be able to build/buy something that will meet your needs. It is really difficult to give input when you have not defined what the gun is to be used for.

Regarding your question about the scope and FSB, a search of the term 'co-witness' should provide some thorough answers.
    co-witness? will do, thanks for the info.

First... security, whether home or BO.
    second... "hobby" for lack of a better term. To shoot, teach my kids to shoot and ongoing education of AR's for future purchases or builds.

I am curious what do you use yours for?

Right now I am green as kermit the frog, but I want to learn, we all started somewhere right?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Given that information, the PSA rifle mentioned above should be about perfect. Thanks for clarifying! If you had stated "300 yard coyote gun" you would need something totally different.

A 16" carbine or middy and red dot site is a great starting point based on what you described. It should be way under your budget as well. Lots of money left over for mags and ammo!

I personnaly have a BCM/mutt that is very similar including the Aimpoint PRO.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
    Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    I agree with Ra2. My advice generally mirrors his. You should listen.

The reason some of us buy rifles configured in a certain way right off the bat is that we've used AR's in just about every form. We've also used AR's in various roles and know what kind of setups work best for what application. Remember, the mission drives the gear. Gear doesn't drive the mission. For example, I personally know that I like longer rails made by Daniel Defense or Centurion for almost every application. I also know that I prefer 1-4X optics on my 14.5 / 16'' carbines over everything else. But that's just me and those preferences were only realized after using all of the alternatives. So here's what you should do:

Start with something basic! Then, as you use and get used to the AR platform, determine areas which you would like to see improved based on your own personal experience with the rifle. Maybe you'll feel that the stock pistol grip isn't working for you. Maybe you'll find that the standard sling attachment points aren't working for you. Maybe you'll find that the way you hold the rifle lends itself to a 12 o'clock X300 type setup rather than a 3 or 9 o'clock mounted light. The point is that you shouldn't be spending a ton of money right away in order to make your AR look like some asshole's rifle in an ARFCOM picture thread, because you think that's the way it's "supposed" to look.

Get yourself a rifle in basic configuration, a sling, and magazines. For those, I suggest:

A Colt 6920 in standard configuration like this.
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=6920 OR equivalent BCM offering.

One of LAV's adjustable 2 point slings like this:
    http://www.nettac.com/BFG-Vickers-VCAS-Sling_p_116.html

By starting out simple like this, you're leaving yourself completely open to pick and choose upgrades that you want down the road based on your own experience, without wasting money on accessories that you either don't need or won't like.
    Very good info, I appreciate it.

I am green to AR's and their builds, I am tring to learn why some people like one part over another, what advantage or application that part may bring to the overall weapon. I did use an M-16 on a very limited basis while in the service for qualifying, so I do have a basic understanding of a few aspects of it. The problem is I didn't get to the point of understanding what everything was for, what the part did, etc. and I am simply trying to teach myself before I try and put something together or buy it whole and I don't want to waste time or money which I am sure you understand. anyway this gives me some good reading, thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Given that information, the PSA rifle mentioned above should be about perfect. Thanks for clarifying! If you had stated "300 yard coyote gun" you would need something totally different.

A 16" carbine or middy and red dot site is a great starting point based on what you described. It should be way under your budget as well. Lots of money left over for mags and ammo!

I personnaly have a BCM/mutt that is very similar including the Aimpoint PRO.
    ok another one of my dumb questions...what are the differences between the two? (carbine and middy) longer barrel/types of barrel?

I saw quite a few positive comments on the BCM on here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast