Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Centurion Arms C4 12" rail impressions..PICS added

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Centurion Arms C4 12" rail impressions..PICS added

I recently assembled a new upper and decided on the Centurion Arms 12" quad rail. I am using this on my competition upper. I chose to use the quad rail over a tube rail becuase I wanted the ease of adding accessories. What's more, this thing is super light! Weighing in at a slight 14.2oz's, I don't feel I'm giving up much weight. It's mounted on a 18" rifle length barrel, with LP gas block. The rail ends right where the GB is mounted. It's a very clean look.

The rail appears to set up nice with my MUR upper. The 1913 rails line up perfectly and almost seem continuous. I haven't attempted to disassemble the two piece rail, but the locking clamp seems pretty secure for a true free float system. As for the diameter of the rail, I would compare it to a Knights rail. The overall circumference fits comfortably in my hand. Unlike DD, this rail is true round vs. oval. The rail also has FOUR sockets for QD attachments - two forward and two rear. I would change the fact that they are not rotating sockets, like the Knights.

My main complaint about this rail is the color. If you want an all black gun, this rail will disappoint. The color is closer to a blue/black. Match that with the MUR brown/black upper and Knights true black lower, you have three shades of black. A bit off for particular people like me.

My other concern is the size of the 1913 rail's. I had to use a lot of force to get my Magpul AFG2 on, and I mean force. I had to use a hammer and beat the AFG off the rail! I easily attached Magpul rail ladders. I don't know whether the polymer accessories are out of spec, or Centurion, but there is definitely a mismatch. I haven't put a ruler to it, but my Magpul accessories are a tight fit. My Tangodown vertical grip fit easily.

All in all, I am very pleased with my choice. For quad rail choices, the light weight, round shape, uniquie two piece rail and clamp system made by Centurion is a definite buy. I definitely think it will serve both competition shooters as well as people looking to build their SHTF battle rifle. I'll try to post some pics.

AMAC
    Last edited by amac; 10-01-11 at 08:29.
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    It's most likely the rail. I wanted to like the Centurion Rail, but after two attempts, I gave up. I tried two separate Centurion Rails, and both had rail dimension issues. I have several Gear Sector rail mounts that would not fit over all four rails. Those same mounts fit perfectly on Larue, Daniel Defense, and KAC rails that I already had. I sent the first rail back, hoping for a fluke, but the second rail (of a different length and configuration) wouldn't work either. The rails were definitely out of speck when the Gear Sector mount would slide onto two rails, but not the other two on the same quad rail.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Good review

True about the color being a little off too, but that didn't bother me. I love the simplicity of it, and ease of maintenance with it bolting on to the existing barrel nut with out having to remove the front sight. I like to go through the whole rifle once a year taking off the hand guards and everything.

I liked my midlength so much that I just bought a 12" for my rifle length AR.

I used to have the YHM's, but they were like carrying iron weights around. IMHO the centurion is a good buy, and lighter than most.

ETA: Also about the rail being slightly out of spec, I was able to slide on all my KAC-NIGHTS rail covers without using the metal clips that come with them. They fit so tight that they pushed on really hard, and they arent going nowhere. To get them back off I had to use a screwdriver in one of the slots where the clips were, and tap it off.
    Last edited by gman556; 09-27-11 at 21:05.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My Tangodown vertical grip fit easily
    I'm not a detective, buts that's a clue as to what's in spec and what may not be.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I have the 9" Centurion C4 rail on my BCM middy. I have had no issues with the rails being out of spec (whatever "spec" for a pic rail is anyway) and my gear sector light mount slid on without any issue. My KAC hand stop fits on no problem, my Tandgo Down rail covers and VFG also fit without issue, as do ladder covers of all brands, and Magpul XTM panels.

I think the Centurion C4 rails are some of the best on the market. Previously I have used Troy, Daniel Defense and KAC rails and I much prefer the Centurion rails.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    It's most likely the rail. I wanted to like the Centurion Rail, but after two attempts, I gave up. I tried two separate Centurion Rails, and both had rail dimension issues. I have several Gear Sector rail mounts that would not fit over all four rails. Those same mounts fit perfectly on Larue, Daniel Defense, and KAC rails that I already had. I sent the first rail back, hoping for a fluke, but the second rail (of a different length and configuration) wouldn't work either. The rails were definitely out of speck when the Gear Sector mount would slide onto two rails, but not the other two on the same quad rail.
    I believe Monty commented there were tolerance issues with some out of the first batch. The Gear Sector mounts have also been changed so they "rock" onto a rail now instead of sliding on.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    So it would appear that we have people making judgments on Centurion stuff based off of old information.

Both rails that I have purchased have been spot on and I have had no issues installing KAC rail covers or accessories. The TD rail covers were hard to slide on and I could tell it was due to them being new.

I am also 100% sure that if there is an issue then Monty will make it right. I think people need to remember that no person, company or entity is above making a mistake. It's what they do to correct it that makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I believe Monty commented there were tolerance issues with some out of the first batch. The Gear Sector mounts have also been changed so they "rock" onto a rail now instead of sliding on.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    my Centurion rail C4 Midlength Cutout is my favorite rail in terms of strength, weight, elegance of design and included QD sling mount points.

it's finish is of no concern to me but their customer service is possibly the best I have ever experienced. nothing but Centurion rails for me from now on...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    As stated, the tolerance issues were in early batches... I have witnessed them first hand. All newer rails seem to be spot on. I would not hesitate to equip a fighting weapon with one of monty's rails.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    The C4 midlength cutout rail that I just received is right on. I have absolutely no issues and love it. Monty was also great and answered all of my questions before ordering.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast