Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3D-printed AR-15 lower

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I had no idea such a thing existed, absolutely incredible. So much for scouring the news each day for many years and thinking you are up on technology.

This young fellow really made me feel clueless: http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...-aircraft-wing

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by goteron View Post
    We get prototype parts from a 3rd party printer. Dimensions are spot on, and generally the material is strong enough for functional testing.
    How are you dimensioning? Using GD&T to ISO or ASME standards? If not then no offense, but you have no idea if the dimensions are "spot on". No, calipers are not accurate or precise enough to properly dimension such a part.

They also make DMLS machines that print in Ti, inconel, casting grade aluminum and some other exotic alloys.
    You're right they do, however most of the materials they are printing in are not suitable for the application. Furthermore these machines are prohibitively expensive, and the parts they produce would be far FAR more expensive than someone cutting 7075 on a CNC hobby mill.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    -Chris
    NRA Lifer & Certified Instructor

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorsociologist View Post
    I guess he didn't read their EULA.

Can't really blame the company for pulling his lease even though they don't fully understand the legal side of manufacturing a receiver. Their legal eagles were probably flipping out and just wanted to mitigate any and all risk to the company.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123