Thread: Hunting Shotguns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Hunting Shotguns

Can you guys point me in the right direction on a good pump action to hunt upland with, I have a single shot 20ga. that has done well over the years but I looking to move to more shells. I have looked at the 870 express ( and have asked about them in the shotgun section on here) but the more I read about them and remington QC I have pretty much ruled them out as an option. I thought about a semi but I now want the relieability of an pump action, and why the hell is it so hard for companys to make a quility product anymore, I know moneys tight for alot of people but come on.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Find a clean used 870 Wingmaster...the quality is going to be much better.

The Beretta 390 is a solid semi performer and what many of the guiding outfits use in Argentina which says a lot!!
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    I have been hearing alot about the beretta 390 is it really as relieable as they say, does it eat everything you throw in there and how is the build quality and customer service if something goes wrong.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The 870 Wingmaster is a great pump. The Browning BPS is also very nice. Good thing about the BPS is that is ejects shells from the bottom. So if you are left handed by chance the BPS will work fine for you. Semi-auto's are not necessarily unreliable. I shoot a Benelli Super Black Eagle II and have shot everything from the lightest skeet loads to 3.5" heavy turkey loads and have not had a problem yet. I hunt everything from Dove to Swan's with it. The Beretta 390 is a great inexpensive semi that you can easily find most anywhere. Walmart even sells them.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A wingmaster will do you just fine...real easy on the pocket book too

But Benelli makes a fine pump gun

And if you really want QUALITY...and price is not a huge problem, look for a Browning Citori...Over under...shot 11,000 shells in a week on an Argentina dove hunt...not one misfire!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My hunting pump is an ancient Mossberg 835 I got as a gift from my late father-in-law. I like it and I've taken many, many birds with it.
    Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force. - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Browning makes a BPS upland that looks sweet. English stock, 20" barrel....

If i were to buy a pump, that would be it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    Find a clean used 870 Wingmaster...the quality is going to be much better.
    I second this. 870 is absolutely the way to go with pump action. The 887 is not too bad either, and fairly priced, but I don't know if it is the kind of gun you'd want if you're specifically going to use it for upland bird hunting (aestheticallly speaking).

My first real shotgun was an 870 Wingmaster Ducks Unlimited edition. That gun outperforms SBE-IIs, 1187s, and especially my Auto 5 on the regular. If conditions are harsh, the semi autos stay in the safe and the 870 comes out.

-Justin
    "Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics."