Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Airline Tips for the Tactical Traveler

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I just got back from a week in WY where I took my carry weapon with me.

Here is my experiences at the two airports where I checked the weapon...

1) How much of a hassle you experience checking the firearm will depend on who checks you, how much they know of the rules, and (to an extent) how they view firearms.

2) Yes it is a hassle to some degree, and will take at least an extra 15-30 mins, but if you like to be armed, then its worth it.

3) Know the rules yourself for the particular airline you are flying on.

4) When you go to to the checkout counter, declare that you have a firearm. They will then ask a few questions such as "is it unloaded?", "is it in a locked container?", ect. They will not touch the firearm nor do they have to see it. You will then fill out a orange card declaring that it is unloaded which you will put either inside or taped to the outside of your locked case. Flying from Houston, they had me put it inside...flying from Jackson Hole, they had me tape it to the outside...(apparently, you tape it to the outside when the firearms case is inside of another bag )

5) They will then have a TSA agent (who probably knows nothing about firearms) inspect your bag for (I'm assuming) explosives whether they do it there in front of you or in the back before they put it on the plane....In the Houston airport, the former burger flipper TSA agents WILL take their time and act like you are not even there. Flying from Jackson Hole, WY was a MUCH better experience.

6) TSA locks are NOT mandatory, and I would advise against them. I know I don't want someone finger-fugging my weapon when I'm not around. I would use a very well made keyed lock. I wouldn't recommend a combo lock since I have seen videos of how easy it is to unlock them. (And no I'm not talking about someone pulling "Italian Job" and using a stethoscope!)

7) Lock BOTH SIDES of the hard sided case, even a Pelican case can be pried on one end to some degree without a lock

Overall, I think the hassle is worth it to have your carry weapon with you, but just make sure you're there early. Hopefully this, along with what Jason wrote, will help prepare anyone who hasn't gone through this yet.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Tips

Thanks for the tips. I'm flying from Newark NJ to Orlando fl at the end of the month and will be bringing a rifle and pistol along with me. Hopefully without anu issues.
    Co-Owner - Tier One Defense
    Custom Rifle Builders
    www.tieronedefense.com

LE Firearms Instructor
    Glock LE Armorer
    Colt AR15/M16 Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BSWilson View Post
    Good stuff. Just to expand on a bit:

#8: It might even be worthwhile to get relatively benign stickers for your case: locations, music bands, or other things that will make people think that it's a guitar or other instrument.
    Also think about what you're wearing when you travel. I typically wear flip-flops, khaki shorts, and a polo or regular old t-shirt. I've gotten the "did you travel here to play golf?" or "what kind of guitar do you have?" conversation every single time I fly and I check a rifle case.

Tampa International is the best airport I've flown into/out of with guns.

My case has four latches, one lock hole at each end and one lock hole near the handle. Each latch locks individually and I have a huge padlock I put around the handle, as well as zip-tying the two smaller holes at each end of the case shut. Never had an issue.

Remember, NO ONE BUT YOU is allowed (legally) to have the key to the case your firearms are in!

Deviant Ollam - Packing Firearms and the Friendly Skies
    Last edited by Six Feet Under; 09-06-11 at 01:25.
    “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” - William James

"I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I must say, flying out of the Denver was the most pleasant experience I've had travelling with long arms. They put the locked case through the x-ray machine and told me I was good to go.

Columbus OH (where I live and of course invariably always fly out out) is more of a PITA. I have to open the case and they inspect it (and I usually have to sit on my Pelican or Storm case to get it shut again, haha).
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    I must say, flying out of the Denver was the most pleasant experience I've had travelling with long arms.
    Denver is GTG. Minneapolis is awesome.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Portland is SUPER easy. They just throw the tag in the case, take it to the TSA, then you're good to go. Last time I dropped a gun off the TSA guy actually asked me what I was running and we talked rifles for about 10 minutes.

Detroit on the other hand sucked. They made me take them all out, show them they were unloaded, and did so in front of quite a few people. Then again, Detroit is America's Mogadishu.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
    Then again, Detroit is America's Mogadishu.
    I avoid flying through Mogadishu and for the same reason I avoid flying through cities like Detroit, Chicago, NYC, LA, DC. I try to have destinations and stopovers in smaller airports or western cities.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    what exactly should you do if you get rerouted/layover in NYC/NJ/DC/etc?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandPooba View Post
    what exactly should you do if you get rerouted/layover in NYC/NJ/DC/etc?
    Since it would just get transported to the new plane, there should not be any issues. As long as the FD tag has not been removed, you should be ok.

I have been going back and forth between Michigan and Pennsylvania for the last year and a half and have had no issues (since they know me now) Direct flights for me only though as I take no chances......
    Last edited by xbmxracerx; 09-19-11 at 09:21.

Feedback Score
    great post

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast