Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Airline Tips for the Tactical Traveler

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was very (pleasantly) surprised when I read that they allow loaded magazines if stored in a secured, flapped pouch with the gun(s).

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

"Travelers may not use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard)."

I would print out a copy of that bulletin and keep it in your gun case.
    Last edited by Boss Hogg; 08-08-11 at 11:48.

Feedback Score
    To expand even more on #8

LWRC has a case that looks like a guitar. There is actually a free giveaway right now if you purchased a rifle from them within the last month or so.

Feedback Score
    Here is a tip on the lock game.Carry both TSA marked locks and NON-TSA marked(regular) locks.I carry two sets of locks,this way you make the highly trained ticket counter person and TSA ninjas happy.I also carry extra locks in case they are damaged.
    In my experience,the ticket counter and TSA people usually want the TSA marked locks(YMMV).I don't argue with them,I just give them what they want and it makes traveling a little smoother.

You should carry the below guide but I have found that arguing with airport ninjas fruitless.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

TSA locks:http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ant/locks.shtm

Feedback Score
    When it comes to flying with guns the only rule is that airports and airlines all make up their own rules. You argue since you know the rules up and down, and even have the CFR printed out and either 1) you will not make your flight 2) your bag will not make the flight 3) all of the above.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    I travel with my firearms frequently. Either to attend training or to conduct it.

My travel is in and out of NY (since this is where I live) so I suspect that if anyone is gonna be caught up in BS rules it's going to me and folks like me living here in New Yorkistan.

My experiences thus far have shown that the points Jason makes are all correct and that the TSA lock topic (for me) has been that they DO NOT require it. AS long as the container the weapon is in is locked they have not required it be a TSA or any other specific type.

Here is another experience: Frequently I am upgraded to 1st class seating once I am on the plane. I don't know if it's a coincidence to my travel with a weapon or what but it never happened prior to my starting to and not once if I was traveling without a weapon.

The other thing I noticed is my bags are ALWAYS the first off the plane at my destination. Again maybe a coincidence I'm not sure but it's a noticeable occurrence.

Just my experience and not sure how it fits.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When I fly with both rifles and pistols I have them in a rifle case using 2 master padlocks. (Delta allows four firearms per case).

When I fly with handguns only, they are locked in a hardsided case using Master padlocks, then put inside my regular luggage. I then latch the zippers together using a TSA approved lock. This keeps the luggage handlers out of my bag but still allows TSA to get into the luggage if need be, but they would need me to unlock the gun case.

With one exception of using AirTran once, I use Delta and Spirit. I have never experienced a problem checking in at the airline counter with firearms, nor dealing with an TSA agent who has no clue regarding traveling with firearms.

As an added note: Even though it may be more expensive, I make every effort to get a non stop flight, and I get to the baggage claim area without delay to get my things before someone else does either by intentions or mistake.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tips. I am about to get ready to fly back with mine!

Feedback Score
    Strong post OP

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was told by a TSA agent at the baggage inspection station to only use NON-TSA locks on the actual gun case, whether it is inside luggage or checked by itself. But if a gun case is inside a larger checked bag the luggage can only have TSA locks. I have flown many time with both bare rifle cases and pistol cases inside luggage and they always have had the largest keyed lock I can fit on them. Sure, the thief could cut the plastic case but he will have to work at some and I assume most are looking for easy pickings they can glean with little notice.

Same TSA agent also advised field stripping the firearms to make it easily discernible by x-ray that the weapon cannot be loaded. I always do this and my SIL never has, and neither of us have had further open case inspections. I think it is an easy thing for me and makes it easier at the counter and xray machine to assure folks it is unloaded and no threat to them.

I like the idea of putting a rifle case in a large duffel, or finding a non-rifle case for it: basic rectangle that could be instruments or other fragile apparatus.

I also avoid the largest city hubs as much as possible since being told by other TSA agents (and reading the articles) of guns being stolen from police baggage on their return flights from a police convention in LV, going through Chicago. I try to avoid the large airports in NYC, DC, Chicago, Philly and LA, and either have stop overs in smaller cities or more SE or western cities (Denver instead of Chicago, San Jose or Ontario instead of LA, Atlanta instead of DC, etc.).

Generally I keep interaction with the ticket agent to a bare minimum. Their only responsibility is to give me a red tag and make sure I fill it out and place it inside the gun case. Period. The TSA baggage inspector is responsible for any open case inspection and then by sight only. he should ask you to open the case and do any handling of the firearm to get a different look. At the ticket counter I say, "I have an unloaded firearm in a locked case for checked baggage to declare." Most times the agent will just hand me the tag and after I fill it out make sure I place it in the locked case. Only once has one asked to see it is unloaded and then seeing it was disassembled she relaxed noticeably. If the ticket agent makes a fuss I keep as low key as possible. The instant you become defensive they will go overboard. Politeness and give them time to consult with a senior ticket person and it usually gets resolved quietly. Never had a problem with TSA, just variation in airline personnel.

Some airports have xray stations separate from the conveyor belt system. Others take the locked case or baggage back to an inspection station and have you wait to see if they need you to open it. There should be NO airline supplied tag or other marker on the case/bag that indicates it is a firearm.

I would avoid flying with hard to replace firearms. I usually am taking a generic G23 for SD (remember mag laws at destination), and only take rifles for specific reasons and then sweat every minute.

Firearm ags can end up anywhere. Usually if inside checked luggage it just comes out on the conveyor belt. Once it was purposely routed to the airline claim office without telling me. Rifle cases often come out on oversize baggage slot, but may be on the main conveyor so check both.

Feedback Score
    Double post
    Last edited by Wiggity; 08-22-11 at 14:06.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast