Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Airline Tips for the Tactical Traveler

Feedback Score
    I think some of the difference would be due to where TSA inspects luggage.. up near the counter, or through the belt system in back. Generally the only reason a case needs inspection(after declaration)is if the xray image isn't enough to identify what is in the case. There is also some gray in what is ammo packaging (Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.) Many airlines, or some airline employees, don't consider Magazines to be "packaging" for ammo. Southwest Airlines policy is: Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).
    Last edited by Seagunner; 12-02-12 at 16:43. Reason: Southwest info

Feedback Score
    I wanted to add that in Ohio, a loaded magazine is considered a loaded firearm, so having loaded magazines in your case is not permitted if flying into, out of, or layover in Ohio.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Falla View Post
    These are my words of advice for the tactical traveller!

[B]1. Check the regulations for "traveling with guns" with your preferred air carrier.
    [B]2. Suck up the excess baggage charges.
    [B]3. Don't pack more guns in one case than the regulations allow.
    [B]4. Give yourself an extra 30 mins prior to departure.
    [B]5. Do a 100% check for live rounds.
    6. Check the limitations on traveling with live rounds. (I think it is 11lbs total.
    7. Look like a military service member!
    [B]8. Don't place any gung-ho ass kickin stickers on your gun case.
    [B]9. Weigh your gun case prior to arriving at the check in if possible.
    [B]10. Let the check in agent know that you are checking guns.
    [B]11. Don't use your gun case to store any explosive material!
    12. Make sure that your weapons are unloaded with magazines removed.
    13. Keep your ID handy at the other end!
    14. Be prepared for your guns to be a no show!
    I've traveled once with long guns. The pistols were shipped from FFL to FFL.

Travel was from NY Laguardia to Miami, probably in '04.

1. I did a cursory review lol
    2. I don't remember any
    3. I had two long guns in one case and I don't remember checking for a limit.
    4. I probably did that
    5. Yep, all rounds in check-in bag. See below.
    6. I packed a .30cal can in my baggage and it had linked 30-06 in it lol. Way more than 11lbs. Passed
    7. Couldn't pull that one.
    8. Totally clean generic brown gun case
    9. Didn't weight anything.
    10. Yep, definitely. Sticker goes IN the case, not on it.
    11. Check
    12. Check
    13. Didn't have to. Gun case came right out with the luggage
    14. Still .... very relieved.

When I informed about firearms they called a real NYC cop (not LGA or TSA security) and he did a chamber check and called in serial numbers. He did drop the bolt on the commercial M1 Carbine though (which is easy to do) BAM! It was loud lol. TSA guys were standing around (this is all done at an area near the check in counter) and they were asking some questions, Hey what do you have? That looks cool. What's that?

Then a TSA guy came, put the case all by itself on a cart, and took it to .... wherever and of course eventually on the plane.

Being NYC and all I was concerned about whatever laws were different from the suburbs. The cop did ask where I came from (Scarsdale) and he left it at that.

Once checking IN at Miami going TO NY I had a shoulder bag with me and I remembered that I had a Glock homey clip (33rnd mag) at the bottom with 33 rnds of highly precious 124+p Gold Dot.

It hurt to lose that Gold Dot lol. The mag traveled with me to NY, and back, and no children were injured.
    Last edited by danpass; 06-05-13 at 12:47.
    Dan Miami, FL

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910