Thread: Hydro dipping advice needed!

Feedback Score

Hydro dipping advice needed!

I have been doing some thinking and I believe I want to get some parts of my Colt 6720 dipped in Multicam.

The parts I am considering getting dipped are: Lower and upper receiver, Centurion 14" CMR rail, BCM pistol grip, and VLTOR IMod stock.

I was looking at some companies that are pretty well known for dipping firearms like WWGuns, and Tactical Machining, but I seem to have found a pretty good local company here in Northern VA called Virginia Hydro Designs located in Winchester, VA. http://virginiahydrodesigns.com/ If I can, I would like to support local businesses and I don't have to worry about shipping. After calling them today to discussing what I want done and some specific questions i had, I was informed it would cost me around $225 for what I want dipped.

Now before I take the dive on actually doing this I want to get some input from some more experienced people on this forum that know about hydro dipping firearms, specifically AR15's.

Is hydro dipping an AR really ok to do? Is it ok if some of the paint gets inside the Lower and upper Receiver? I just don't see how you can completely prevent the inside of the receivers from getting the paint inside them. Is it possible that the dipping would effect the function of the rifle, create malfunctions etc.? If anyone that has a firearm dipped or has experience in this topic at all, please share your knowledge. I absolutely LOVE my 6720 and I don't want to do something to it that would prevent it from running the way she does now.

I told Virginia Hydro Designs that I would completely strip down my receivers before having them dipped because I don't want everything dipped. I would like to keep the take down pins, forward assist, safety selector etc. the way they are. I would probably have Robb at VA. Arms strip my rifle down since I do not have the tools right now to do the job.

Virginia Hydro Designs informed me that they usually dip the upper and lower receiver together and plug up any openings to prevent the inside of the receivers from getting painted. I have no idea how they would "plug" up all the holes of a stripped upper and lower. But I guess they have a way. I'm not worried about my other pieces getting dipped. I'm just concerned about the receivers and having the gun run reliably after being dipped.

So if you have any knowledge you can share on this topic I would really appreciate it! I want to make sure I make the best decision and this is completely ok for my Colt before I take the dive.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Getting a little paint inside the receiver isn't going to hurt the function of the firearm. I'd be more worried about someone I didn't know stripping and then reassembling it than I would the paint itself. I don't know you or your reasons for wanting to hydro dip your gun, but if you just want to break up the outline a quick and dirty application of Krylon will do the job and will be adaptable to different conditions/environments. When it gets scratched or you want to change the color you just spray what you need. That's how guys in the military have been doing it for years. The best part is it's easy to undo and you don't have to tear down the gun for any reason.

Feedback Score
    There are two parts to a hydro 'dip', a base coat, and the transfer film with the image (whatever that may be, in your case, multicam).

The base coat is a standard automotive grade paint. The transfer is a very thin ink layer. The base layer shows through to the 'ink' or transfer layer. A clear coat goes over the top.

To keep paint from getting inside your upper and lower, they can just mask it off, stuff rags in there, or do whatever a painter might to do to keep paint out.

Once the paint has cured, it gets dipped. Anything that isn't supposed to be covered in the pattern of choice can be masked.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I've dipped a couple ARs and I've never had a problem with functionality.

Also there is a third step after base coat and film, you need to protect the film with a clearcoat as the film itself scratches very easily if left uncoated. That being said hydro dipping is not as tough as a finish as lets say Cerakote, it does scratch and wear with use.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Dipping will not harm your rifle, externally, internally, or function... If done right of coarse. I've had mine dipped for several years and never an issue. If you plan on using for any serious use don't expect the dip to hold up. It holds up better than krylon paint though. I use mine for hunting, mostly coyote calling contest where I'm in the field for 12 hours straight, several contests a year. It takes it fair share of bumps and scrapes. There are parts that are chipped and scraped off, but you can't see them unless you really look closely. It's a tool and I'm not overly concerned with looks. I stripped mine down and sent them several parts at a time. It was cheaper and easier that way. The company I had dip mine is no longer in business so no need to mention them.

6.8 SPC

Last edited by Wormydog1724; 06-04-13 at 07:55.
    http://www.youtube.com/wormydog1724

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This isn't "Ihuntcoyotes.com.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses!

Hearing positive things from experienced people is great news.

I am definitely getting my rail, pistol grip, and stock dipped but I'm still thinking about my upper and lower receiver.

IF i don't get my receivers dipped I am thinking of dissemble them the best I can and spray paint them with Aervoe paint. I have read positive things on this paint. I am thinking of painting the receivers FDE (the closest Aervoe paint that mimics FDE I read is "Light Coyote". If anyone has experience with Aervoe paint and knows what color is closest to FDE please let me know).

I think FDE receivers with Multicam furniture would look pretty good. I don't mind the paint coming off because I use my rifle as a tool.

If anyone has suggestions on what Aervoe paint would look best with Multicam, please speak up. I am open to any suggestions.

I will be thinking over the next week or so about what course I will take (all dipped, or Aervoe painted receivers and dipped furniture). If you have any knowledge or opinions on what has already been discussed please feel free to do so.

Again, thanks for the responses!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    This is Aervoe Light Coyote. It holds up well and you can always retouch if necessary.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz