Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts / Specs on Nylon Gun Belts & Leather - UPDATED.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had two OSOE Cobra Riggers Belts for around three years. One thing I hate about them is how long the "tail" is after the belt is tightened into place. The excess material really interfered with my gear configuration. I have been using my trusty Galco belts (I deploy with 2) for years.
    Here is a picture of the current version I'm using.

One note, it doesn't take 4 layers of SCUBA webbing to hold you pants and gear up.

Like Steve S. said, leather doesn't last as long as nylon. It also tends to stretch out however, the best part about leather is that it conforms to your body.
    One thing I've noticed about Cobra buckles, they stick out like a white woman with a black eye. If you are carrying a gun on your belt, why draw more attention to that part of your body?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have always preferred leather belts for their comfort and snug hold of gear and have wondered if a good shark skin or elephant hide would be worth the cost and approach the durability, abrasion resistance and some of the other qualities of a nylon belt.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the writeup. Other's may have mentioned in subsequent posts but I thought I would mention... while some belts have heavy duty or cobra buckles with loop, not all belts are rated for it. Be aware before you attempt the wedgie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by awm14hp View Post
    After a good amount of wear I have figured out one thing these belts are alot better for loop type holsters over clips as there just isnt enough to grab on width wise. This isnt a bad thing just something I noticed.
    I use overclips just about anytime I IWB carry. Here's my "hot as Hell" EDC.

I guess it might depend on the overclip design.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I used over clips until they failed. I now run with snap loops and love them...in fact they are from you Steve (I need to order some 1.75" belt loops too).

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Always worn a riggers belt, old habits, holds my hammer tight.

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk

Feedback Score

Thoughts / Specs on Nylon Gun Belts & Leather - UPDATED.

I would love a cobra belt maker to combine the 5.11 apex tactical rubber belt with cobra belt design and buckle .. Not as stiff as scuba webbing but still able to hold the weight . Not as difficult to thread through my kydex holster . It's thinner and just as durable .

EDC is my 5.11 apex ( I hate the damn buckle )
    Would prefer my cobra as EDC but only currently use it when working .

Hell my I will marry the two myself ! It's alive !!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta2edff View Post
    I would love a cobra belt maker to combine the 5.11 apex tactical rubber belt with cobra belt design and buckle .. Not as stiff as scuba webbing but still able to hold the weight . Not as difficult to thread through my kydex holster . It's thinner and just as durable .

EDC is my 5.11 apex ( I hate the damn buckle )
    Would prefer my cobra as EDC but only currently use it when working .

Hell my I will marry the two myself ! It's alive !!!
    I'm assuming this is similar to Galco's Biothane and Maxpedition's Ligerthane? The $35 I spent on a Galco Biothane belt is some of the best money u ever spent. Stiff, durable, and light. I just wish someone made this style belt in brown and black and give the option to swap out with standard belt buckles.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score

Thoughts / Specs on Nylon Gun Belts & Leather - UPDATED.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDooley View Post
    I'm assuming this is similar to Galco's Biothane and Maxpedition's Ligerthane? The $35 I spent on a Galco Biothane belt is some of the best money u ever spent. Stiff, durable, and light. I just wish someone made this style belt in brown and black and give the option to swap out with standard belt buckles.
    Not familiar with the galco , but yes similar to max's liger..

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta2edff View Post
    Not familiar with the galco , but yes similar to max's liger..
    Yeah, it's all the same thing. The generic term is biothane - it's been used in horse tack for years apparently.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast