Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is 3x magnifier the standard?

Feedback Score

Is 3x magnifier the standard?

I picked up an Aimpoint PRO and am trying to figure out what magnifier I might eventually get. I see they have their 3x one but that they also come in greater sizes. Is 3x standard or is there not really a standard? The most I'd envision shooting might be 400 yards. I'm relatively new to the world of optics so any help would be great. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Off brands such as Primary Arms offer them in 5x and 8x also.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    You don't need any magnification to do hits out to 400m, you should be fine.

Magnifiers + RDS sucks anyway.

Unless you're looking to make those hits at speed, then magnification will require less training to do so.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post

Unless you're looking to make those hits at speed, then magnification will require less training to do so.
    Wow, really? Can you even see much of the target at 400 without magnification? So when would you need it then?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post

Lets clarify. Apparently Magic doesn't need magnification to hit targets at distance and doesn't care for magnifiers. I dont know what your uses are but having magnificaton always help hit targets at longer distances. I understand his point that you dont have to have magnification to shoot 400 yards but it makes it easier and quicker. Which is usually the point of shooting so make the choice on what fills your needs.

Matt

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    Wow, really? Can you even see much of the target at 400 without magnification? So when would you need it then?
    Depends on what size your target is and how precise you want to be.

The disadvantage of a magnifier TO ME, is it makes the rifle heavier and more cumbersome without very much benefit. Do you know your holds for shooting a target at 400 yards with only a floating dot for reference? I don't. It absolutely can be done. I can walk shots out to 400 easily. But an optic that has magnification AND either turrets and/or reference marks (mils/bdc/something to reference to) will make it alot easier. The magnifier helps more on seeing small targets or making identification easier. It WON'T make you a better shot.

I have a magnifier 3x for my Aimpoint. I am now just waiting for my brother to pay me for it before I give it to him. I have shot my 6920 at 525 or so yards, with the magnifier and without. It didn't help at all with hitting the target, it did help with picking the target out from the background clutter. In actual shooting, it hindered me. I was shooting from rice paddy prone and kneeling. The recoil, though small, was enough to push me back slightly and I would lose track of the target with the magnifier. I couldn't see where my shots were landing and correct for it, I had to have my brother spot for me. With just the red dot alone, I could fire, see where the bullet hit and correct for it. Not to mention, I got popped in the eye a couple of times by the magnifier because of the relatively short eye relief when I climbed the stock too far.

If you are really wanting to shoot accurately at 400 yards all the time, you really need a different optic. If you are just going to be taking pot shots at targets but are planning on using your optic for 0-100 yards most of the time stay with the RDS.

If you are planning on spending all your time with your rifle laying across shooting bags squeezing of 1 shot a minute at a target 100 yards away trying to get less than a 1" group, you REALLY have the wrong optic. You will be frustrated more than happy with it.

Remember, choose your optic for what YOU will be using it for. Not what the military, police or competition shooters use it for. You will be much happier with your purchase.

Feedback Score
    I have the same optic. In my area, I don't know of a facility with over 100 yards available. But what optic is recommended for over 100 yards?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Depends on what size your target is and how precise you want to be.

The disadvantage of a magnifier TO ME, is it makes the rifle heavier and more cumbersome without very much benefit. Do you know your holds for shooting a target at 400 yards with only a floating dot for reference? I don't. It absolutely can be done. I can walk shots out to 400 easily. But an optic that has magnification AND either turrets and/or reference marks (mils/bdc/something to reference to) will make it alot easier. The magnifier helps more on seeing small targets or making identification easier. It WON'T make you a better shot.

I have a magnifier 3x for my Aimpoint. I am now just waiting for my brother to pay me for it before I give it to him. I have shot my 6920 at 525 or so yards, with the magnifier and without. It didn't help at all with hitting the target, it did help with picking the target out from the background clutter. In actual shooting, it hindered me. I was shooting from rice paddy prone and kneeling. The recoil, though small, was enough to push me back slightly and I would lose track of the target with the magnifier. I couldn't see where my shots were landing and correct for it, I had to have my brother spot for me. With just the red dot alone, I could fire, see where the bullet hit and correct for it. Not to mention, I got popped in the eye a couple of times by the magnifier because of the relatively short eye relief when I climbed the stock too far.

If you are really wanting to shoot accurately at 400 yards all the time, you really need a different optic. If you are just going to be taking pot shots at targets but are planning on using your optic for 0-100 yards most of the time stay with the RDS.

If you are planning on spending all your time with your rifle laying across shooting bags squeezing of 1 shot a minute at a target 100 yards away trying to get less than a 1" group, you REALLY have the wrong optic. You will be frustrated more than happy with it.

Remember, choose your optic for what YOU will be using it for. Not what the military, police or competition shooters use it for. You will be much happier with your purchase.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not going into combat with my rifle and don't envision needing to pick people off at 200 yards to save my life, nor do I need 1" groups at 100 yards (nice as it would be). I might take some courses next year where we shoot out farther, but most of my stuff is likely to be within 100 yards.

My first time out today with the rifle I was getting ~2.5" radius at 50 yards and maybe 6" radius at 100 yards with the Aimpoint pro. I could vaguely see what I was aiming at on the target (some 3" circles on an 8.6x11" piece of paper at 100 yards) but don't think I could have been very precise with them. Hopefully with practice things will come along though.

Feedback Score
    Overall though, I wasn't sure just how much close a 3x magnifier would bring things. I guess shooting at 100 yards with a magnifier would give a similar sight picture as a target at 33 yards without a magnifier?

Feedback Score
    I think magnifiers are neat to have. Definitely get an off brand though. Neat as they may be they aren't worth 4 or 500 clams.

sent via Android 3.1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast