Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walther PPS mag release technique ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleyh57 View Post
    As stated above, I use my trigger finger and actually like this style much more than the traditional mag release.
    Same here. It works well for me with my HK's and PPS.
    "Never confuse movement with action."
    Ernest Hemingway

Join the NRA - protect our 2nd Amendment rights.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    What is your technique for a reliable and speedy mag release. For instance the FAST drill. shoot two / change mag / shoot 4

The manual shows a strong hand index finger press. I really can't seem to do that.

The only reasonable thing I can come up with is weak hand thumb transitions from pointing forward to curling down while the hand moves down and mag is released as part of the movement to grab the next mag.

Does this sound reasonable? Any better ideas? I can't think of anything that would require less mechanics and movement, plus this keeps the weapon at eye level and always on target.

It's what I'm going to practice unless someone has a better technique I should try.
    I think that the trigger guard mag release is not only easy to hit (with your trigger finger), but is more reliable (IMHO). So it is most likely a training problem (see exception to this rule below).

Now what can happen with the PPS (because of its size and the fact that a good portion of the mag acts as your grip) is that your hand can trap the mag. So if this is happening to you, you can work on getting your strong hand off the mag better OR when your weak hand rolls off the grip, direct it down and pull the mag out (on its path to the new mag).

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 05-25-11 at 14:35.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Now what can happen with the PPS (because of its size and the fact that a good portion of the mag acts as your grip) is that your hand can trap the mag. So if this is happening to you, you can work on getting your off the mag better OR when your weak hand rolls off the grip, direct it down and pull the mag out (on its path to the new mag).
    Grant, I just returned from the range and you have beat me to my next question.

That is exactly what I experienced. I had no problem with the actual index finger release,.... but... the pad of my palm would keep the mag from falling out. At that point I couldn't even shake it loose.

From there I simply loaded 1 round per mag. One is a 7 the other an 8 rounder. I don't know that I had any better luck with either. I did get better but not reliable by any means. I would have the next mag ready to install and still trying to shake the old one out.

I'll have to practice this some more before the next time out.

Feedback Score
    I also experienced a learning curve on the trigger finger release but now it feels fast & natural.

Feedback Score
    One advantage I have found to using the 'large' PPS backstrap is that it helps to keep the rear of the magazine from being trapped by the heel of my hand during magazine changes.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks, I hadn't thought of changing that out.

Let me ask you guys one other thing.

In the process of releasing the latch. Are you doing it one handed? IOW is your weak reaching for the next mag or is it still supporting the gun?

I tend to have my weak hand reaching for new mag while strong hand is dealing with mag release. Is this proper?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av
    I tend to have my weak hand reaching for new mag while strong hand is dealing with mag release. Is this proper?
    For maximum speed, yes. For magazine retention, obviously no. As to which is "proper" that's your call, depending on the situations you anticipate yourself being in. Most of us don't employ handguns for long engagements (i.e. long enough that we're gonna need to hold onto our empty mags so we can reload them so we can keep on fighting later) so the one-handed method suits most, but YMMV.
    Last edited by ChicagoTex; 05-29-11 at 17:08.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12