Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Rifle Courses and Suppressors

Feedback Score

Defensive Rifle Courses and Suppressors

Considering a suppressor to just make shooting that much more enjoyable, as I get tired of hearing protection.

Obviously with other shooters, a suppressor doesn't matter one once as you still have to wear protection, but has anyone run any courses with a suppressor? Found it a good idea/bad idea?

Thoughts on this?

It sure would make my wife more interested in shooting with me, but I'm not sure that buying a suppressor is worth the hasle, or money, despite the benefits. Does anyone actively run with a suppressor a significant amount of the time?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Running a can on a gun in class makes little sense to me... unless that's just how you run your gun always I suppose.

It's dirtier, hotter, and you're still running ear pro.

If you life in a silencer legal state, you should buy one.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If that's the way you're going to employ the gun in real life than it makes sense to train that way. If you're doing it to be cool, then don't bother.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I pretty much always run a can on my 10.5 (as an instructor or student).

C4

Feedback Score
    I'm too old to worry about cool factor. I have had thoughts that it would be more comfortable solo training/ target and when i toss on the varmint upper. I do live in a suppressor legal state too..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift6Six View Post
    Considering a suppressor to just make shooting that much more enjoyable, as I get tired of hearing protection.

You think you can run a suppressor on a high powered rifle without hearing protection?? I run a 14.5 and 16 inch rifle with my suppressor an it will still shut your ears, and still damage then.. Also it hurts just as bad as a gun without a can... I can say the real benefit is barely no flash an concussion.. Not really hearing safe at all.. IMO
    For example, I shoot my gun with can attached and no ear pro. Fire a couple rounds and my ears hurt,ringing, so its clearly damaging them.
    My personal experiance. I dont know if guys on here run sub sonics ,there own loads or what. Or some magic movie can.. But its still loud lol an hurts/shuts my ears.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTyler View Post
    My personal experiance. I dont know if guys on here run sub sonics ,there own loads or what. Or some magic movie can.. But its still loud lol an hurts/shuts my ears.
    It really depends on a lot of variables. Atmospheric conditions, barrel length, gas port size, etc.

Some days the port noise will make my ears ring and some days not at all.

On a bolt gun it's a lot more hearing safe... no ejection port gas snap in your right ear.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I run a suppressor because my brake makes it intolerable for everyone else and myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It really depends on a lot of variables. Atmospheric conditions, barrel length, gas port size, etc.

Some days the port noise will make my ears ring and some days not at all.

On a bolt gun it's a lot more hearing safe... no ejection port gas snap in your right ear.
    Ya I didnt even think about the bolt gun. Would be a lot more quiet.
    Also my right ear does ring more then the left, figured it was cause of the ejection port. Bolt, everything is closed up.

Feedback Score
    I took a two day class with a guy running a suppressor. Everyone wanted to stand next to him on the line. With ears on it made it much nicer than standing next to anyone with a comp or A2. When we got back to the 200 yard line and it was one shooter at a time, we all took our ears off just to hear it. We were all 10-20 feet behind the guy and the noise reduction from his Surefire can made ear pro unecessary for bystanders. I didn't ask to shoot it, and he wasn't offering, but he kept his ears on.

If I was able to get one here, I would. I can't think of a good reason not to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast