Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Press check method

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Press check method

Ok, forgive me if this sounds stupid, but I've been seeing this enough to make me wonder about this. Why do so many people press check by wrapping their thumb over the top of the slide between the chamber and front sight to pull back the slide a bit? I've always just used the slingshot grip on the rear of the slide. Seems to me this eliminates the need for front cocking serrations, and keeps your hand further from the muzzle (yes, I know...finger off the trigger is key).

Am I missing something here that I should try it?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Grabbing the front of the slide from both the top and bottom is awkward to me. I don't even pull back on my pistols. You can see in the daylight that there's a live round in there by looking into the side of the ejection port... and I almost never unload.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ive unchambered a round when ive aggressively press checked from the rear of the gun. It is even easier on lightly sprung competition guns.

Press checking from the front gives more control over the total travel of the slide, ie you can only retract the slide a certain amount.

To each their own, there is no one way to do this.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't even want to bring up the old 1911 pinch check.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Seen many different checks as well as a rear check with the thumb in the tang and fingers over the rear of the slide.
    P144:1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post

Press checking from the front gives more control over the total travel of the slide, ie you can only retract the slide a certain amount.

To each their own, there is no one way to do this.
    Yea, pretty much. It's just easier to move the slide a small amount from the front as my fingers are wrapped around the frame as well...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I always press check by using my left hand over the rear of the slide to retract it enough to see/feel the round in the chamber. I have much more control there than at the front of the slide, plus I don't want my hand anywhere near the muzzle.

If it's light out, I don't even press check. I just look into the gap between the slide and the breech (CZ P-07) and can clearly see if there is a round in there or not.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't even want to bring up the old 1911 pinch check. ;)
    Yep - I trained under Cooper years back - and that's the way I started out! Sometimes when handling a 1911, I fall back to old ways. When those of us who are geezers die off - hopefully this will too:)

john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just looked that up and all I have to say is WTF

Feedback Score
    Now I'm curious.

Just googled this too...I can't wrap my head around it.
    Last edited by RWCRaiden; 08-27-14 at 15:28.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast