Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT .308 MWS Pictures show us your setup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Finally got to go shooting with my MWS for the 1st time other than the 20 rounds of Tula I sprayed at the ground using irons when I first got it.

Conclusions: I LOVE MY MWS!!! Your the man Trident...

For the record, I,ve never shot a 308 before or for that matter any semi-auto larger than 5.56 (well i guess 7.62x39) so i'm pretty happy for my first date.

Went to the 100 yard range yesterday morning and got to try out the LMT in some cool brisk (below freezing) air. I started out shooting 40 rounds of Federal 150gr. soft point (walmart special) and 20 round of Winchester 150gr. soft points. I wanted to get sighted in on paper at 50 yards before moving to 100 and to my complete surprise, the gun/scope combo was perfectly zeroed for 100 yards. Simply AMAZING. In the scopes manual it mentions the scope being set from the factory to optical zero and when you couple that with the rigid and straight Mono this, i guess, is the result (not a single click for windage or elevation)..

I must admit that after shooting those 60 rounds i was extremely discouraged and I had already jumped the gun and thought that i may have received a bad barrel. My gun does not like 150gr soft point!!! 3 MOA.

After the bad experience with the 150's i was expecting "better" but not "great" results from my 1st .308 loads ever. I loaded 3 different loads which consisted of 20 rounds each of 43.4 and 43.9 grains of Varget topped with 175 SMK's with an O.A.L. of 2.815" and 10 rounds of 43.9 Varget with old inherited 165gr. "SMK's" @ 2.7" that my grandfather used to load after getting home from WW2. The rounds are so old that they weren't even called "SMK's" but rather BTHP's only and came in a cardboard box. Realistically they might only be as old as the 80's but it was still special to continue loading with the last rounds he ever loaded and I still have like 60 more to load. Anyway, I was shocked with the results.

I know these aren't the official 10 shot groups but i don't yet have the stamina or ability as a shooter to print out 10 nice shots. Although, after this range session my confidence level is through the roof and i might just give it a try.

Note: These are not "cherry picked" groups. They consist of every group i shot excluding the 43.4gr load. I didn't take any pics of those because they were just average ranging from .9" to 1.5". Also, I should not have included the 1st group in the pic because it unfairly skews everything. These were the rounds I used to set up my seater die on my new 308 die set and the O.A.L. ranged from 2.68" to 2.815". I had them marked and separated before i even shot them.

43.9 Varget, 175 SMK

Closer pic of the last two:

43.9 Varget, 165 "old" BTHP

Some final observations from the range trip: Firstly, I cannot give this glass enough praise. I am absolutely blown away by the clarity and vividness. It's like watching 1080p for the first time. I'm not saying it's "as good as" i'm just saying the glass has to rival glass much, much more expensive. The SD-E trigger fits me like a glove and it makes shooting this gun feel like cheating.

Minor concerns: I'm pretty new to accuracy shooting so this may be completely normal but i've noticed when the bore's cold it tends to shoot the first shot about an inch high and then the second shot is almost perfect with everything after being right on. If you look at the pic of the 165's you will see the 1st shot up higher on both targets and thats because I received a phone call in between the groups and the barrel had a chance to cool down in the less than 32 degree air. So, is this normal? Would the stainless 5R barrel do it? What's the best way to accommodate for this if i would need a 1st round hit at long range??? Lastly, really not a concern but just curious if a 4 o'clock ejection at 10-15 feet sounds about right for this gun?

Quick uneventful video of me shooting the Winchester 150gr. (hottest/heaviest recoiling load of the day) Love shooting prone but it's not permitted at this range because you must be under the small ballistic pavilion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpsiO...LgJwHXHo-k2jaH

I would like to thank all of you for the great info you have shared with me helping me make a great desicion.
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 12-30-11 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Dirtyboy, thats some good shooting with your MWS. One of the hardest things to appreciate when getting into long range or precision shooting is differences in ammo, as you have well learned.

Last week I took some 308 loads out that I bought from a reloader a long time ago. He is a bulk reloader and I bought a 100 during the ammo shortage per se.

Anyway, I loaded 10 in my MWS and it shot a tight little 6-8 inch group. TIGHT , i repeat SIX to EIGHT inch group. This ammo was new brass and ball ammo, it want not grungy, looked good and shot horrible.

So I laughed about it and said 'Mark', throw 5 of these down range with your Rem700, the MWS can be picky. Once agin, we shaved maybe a inch or two off the group. I said, step aside and let the 5r work its magic-NOPE!

It continues to surprise me how poorly, ammo alone can, can wreck accuracy. And its so easy to jump to the conclusion your gun is not shooting well when your ammo is LIFESUCKING your gun.

Glad you worked through your issue quite quickly and saw the MWS for what it is. And some of your groups are about as good as I have seen. Nice job.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-30-11 at 13:16.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Anybody have a geiselle sd-e in their MWS? If so, any issues with the fit?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have an SSA-E and there are no issues. I imagine the SD-E would be same same.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks. Just ordered!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I moved my NF2.5-10 to my 18' white oak SPR. I put a bushy 6.5-20X50 with FFP mil mil scope on the MWS last night. Looks pretty good. Will try to get a pic up.

We're going to stretch the MWS some more this week. I also found about 200 rounds of shit ammo, 7.62 that has good brass. So we are going to heat 16 inch CL up , just to get the brass for reloads.

The MWS did not disappoint at a 1,000 last week. We put up a new piece of steel and dinged it up pretty good. We were like 4/5 and 3/5 with wind changing all the time. It was at our back part of the day and you couldn't hear the gong even when running the can.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

LMT with New Bushy

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I have an SD-E in my MWS & have had zero issues, from installation to now (400 rounds later). It is a great trigger.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskyfever03 View Post
    Anybody have a geiselle sd-e in their MWS? If so, any issues with the fit?
    Hey brother...I'm rocking the SD-E It's beyond a good fit for this particular type of rifle.

Pappa...straight badass MWS, I like your style!

Off to go shoot 1000yds with my MWS once I hit submit
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 02-02-12 at 14:12.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Hey brother...I'm rocking the SD-E It's beyond a good fit for this particular type of rifle.

Pappa...straight badass MWS, I like your style!

Off to go shoot 1000yds with my MWS once I hit submit
    Very nice! Heard nothing but good things about the sd-e. Btw, How do you get your sticks so shiny?

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast