Thread: 155gr SOST?

Feedback Score

155gr SOST?

It's been rumored for some time now that a 155gr 7.62x51mm SOST round is being developed for 16" guns. Anyone have info worth sharing? Thanks.

Tspeis

Feedback Score
    That is correct, as most folks are running the 16" 7.62x51mm rifles and the 155 gr is a better match than the 130 gr for the uses and distances currently being encountered OCONUS.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Is the bullet construction basicalky the same as the 130? I know the 130 lacks performance at distance, but seems to be a fine bullet up close. I've only had a chance to take 1 hog with it, but I was impressed. What distance is the 130 grain loading good to out of the 13" barrel, vs the 155?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    Is the bullet construction basicalky the same as the 130? I know the 130 lacks performance at distance, but seems to be a fine bullet up close. I've only had a chance to take 1 hog with it, but I was impressed. What distance is the 130 grain loading good to out of the 13" barrel, vs the 155?
    I would also like to know the answers to these questions, especially the velocity thresholds for these bullets.
    Advanced techniques are the basics mastered.

Excellence is an art won by training and habit. We are what we repeatedly do. -- Aristotle

Pistol/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
    Sig/Remington/RRA/Sabre Armorer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    That is correct, as most folks are running the 16" 7.62x51mm rifles and the 155 gr is a better match than the 130 gr for the uses and distances currently being encountered OCONUS.
    Doc, I assume you're talking about the SCAR primarily?

Feedback Score
    FN SCAR Mk17 is one platform, but there are other 7.62x51mm 16" barrel systems in service, like the SR25 EMC and LaRue OBR.

Feedback Score
    Considering loading some 130gr SOST rds in a 9" bbl... that said would the 155gr bullets be more benefical? Wondering the terminal ballistics of each round (both 130gr & 155gr rounds) out of the various length bbls... Any info or recommendations DocGKR?
    This would be for the 300 BLK of course.
    Last edited by TMW; 07-29-11 at 20:16.

Feedback Score
    The SOST rounds are for .308 velocities and will not be optimum at the lower MV of the .300BLK.

Feedback Score
    These SOST rounds would not be loaded subsonic rather at/for the higher velocity 300BLK ammo velocities, they would just be ran out of a 9in brl due to users weapon set-up, likely with a suppressor. I'm wondering what effect the 9in brl will actually have on the terminal ballistics, accuracy, velocity, and the likely & maximum lethal ranges etc. of the 9in & other SBRs.

If anyone loads or has loaded either the 130gr or newer developed/developing 155gr round please post your findings, reloading data or anything benificial for any realoader would be greatly appreciated.

I have a customer (and friend) who purchased the 130gr SOST rds and I'm looking at doing the same in order to reload these rounds and use with a suppressor also.

If figure these 130gr SOST rds would be better than most other bullets of the same grain weight(s). Any other recommendations, related info would be useful....

TIA,
    Jeremy / TMW

Feedback Score
    TMW, the SOST 130 gr is designed for a MV of over 2900 fps; it does not work as well with an initial MV of 2100 fps when shot from a 9" 300 BLK...