Thread: M4 Carbine

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

M4 Carbine

I figured I had enough middies in the safe, so I decided to go back to basics. Some of the parts I already had lying around.

BCM 14.5 w/perm. A2X
    FA BC w/MP bolt (not sure who made the BC or bolt. Same MP mark on the bolt as my BCM bolt in another rifle)
    DPMS carry handle (same forging mark as the upper)
    BCM unmarked Mil-Spec M4 collapsible stock
    JD Lower
    DD LPK (used a stardard triggerguard instead of the supplied MOE)
    M4 double heat shield handguards
    Military sling

Extras
    Noveske end plate
    gripper wedge
    Stag ambi-safety
    Bullet button to comply with CA law
    10/30 mag (another dumb CA law thing)

Sorry, not the best pics.

Last edited by Dump1567; 04-29-11 at 16:41.

Feedback Score
    Hey, not a bad build at all! Nice pics too. Bet she'll do just fine. Maybe a better sling later on...

Only question, the DPMS carry handle is commercial height, not designed for the F-marked FSB. Do you have to turn the front post way down to zero?
    Last edited by Quentin; 04-29-11 at 20:58.
    US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Hey, not a bad build at all! Nice pics too. Bet she'll do just fine. Maybe a better sling later on...

Only question, the DPMS carry handle is commercial height, not designed for the F-marked FSB. Do you have to turn the front post way down to zero?
    I just put this together today, so I haven't fired it yet.

I was unaware that detachable carry handles come in different heights? I'll have to check into this. I actually have another carry handle coming from Spikes which should be mil-spec. I guess I'll switch them out.
    Last edited by Dump1567; 04-29-11 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    Yeah the Spikes CH should be milspec height. When you have them side by side I bet you'll see it's obvious the DPMS has a lower shelf that the sight cage is mounted on.

Anyway again, nice job on your build!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks again for the info. on the CH height.

I had actually ordered the Spikes first, but my impatience (wanting to build this weekend) forced me to order the DPMS CH (the Spikes CH won't be here until Mon.).

You can definety tell the difference in these pics from Rainiers website.

DPMS vs. Stag

Last edited by Dump1567; 04-30-11 at 10:32.

Feedback Score
    Rainier's excellent picture makes the difference obvious. Once you know what to look for it's easy to pick out. DPMS, Bushmaster, ArmaLite and others use this commercial height which is identical to the A2 integrated carry handles but not to flat top removable CHs. Those brands use the shorter A2 FSB so their sights do match up. BCM and others use the proper F-marked FSB which should have the taller rear sight. Most third party BUIS are the taller milspec height as well.

You especially get in trouble with the tall rear sight and shorter FSB. Until I figured it out this drove me crazy when I put the tall rear sight on an ArmaLite! Bushmaster sells a taller sight post that you screw in to solve the problem.

Your issue is the opposite but there is a free solution. The DPMS carry handle can be reindexed about 14 clicks below zero to raise the sight well off the low shelf. Or of course just use the Spikes...

Again, nice build, Dump!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    hope this help
    nice built btw!

*** Damn Proud to Be an American Ally ! ***

The Armory:
    Colt 6601 - Colt 6731 - Colt 613 - Steyr StG.58 - M1 Carbine - Galil SAR - CZ Scorpion EVO - Franchi PA8 - Glock 17 - Pietta/Colt SAA 1873 - SA 1911A1 Mil Spec - Ruger LCP