Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: IWC QD MICRO MOUNT-N-SLOT as installed into a MOE

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    .025 all the way arround for me.

I drilled a little close to the raised area in front of the delta ring, so I had to file it a little for the ring to sit flat. I oriented mine different from Rob because the set screw would be in the vent slot the other way. Other than that, works like a charm.
    Last edited by Quiet-Matt; 04-16-11 at 15:23.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Got the two I ordered yesterday and I finshed installing today (one on each side) using Heavy Duty's instructions as well. Awesome!!! Thanks for the outstanding produce. It is exactly what the MOE handguard needed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My install went fine on the carbine-length MOE. I can confirm that the longer set screw will bang up the heat shield.

Last edited by Hmac; 04-16-11 at 16:01.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Is this normal? That's a 0.050" hex key used as a stand-in feeler gauge.

0.028" here. I'm not worried about it, mine are all solid - everything is under compression.
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No pictures to post but I just finished up this install and it seems very secure and I think it will work out nicely. I think it's a well thought out solution that definitely fills a need with the moe handguards. That being said (and maybe I'll have to turn in my man card for saying this); what a pain in the ass to install. Perhaps it's just the tight working space??? Dimpling for the set screws is tough due to the fact the other side of the handguard prevents a straight shot with the drill. Also I managed to both bend the shit out of the spiralock and draw blood trying to get it on. Finally because you can't get a full turn on the set screws but instead have to use a series of small turns my threadlock started to harden up before I could get them tight.

Again this is not a negative comment about Mount-n-slot and their product and probably more a commentary on my mechanical ability. I think its a fine product at a fair price. I just wanted to give another perspective for those who may want to perform this install. For me if IWC decides to start offering moe's with this already installed I would gladly pay a small premium for the service.
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
    Dimpling for the set screws is tough due to the fact the other side of the handguard prevents a straight shot with the drill.
    I agree. When I installed mine my thought was "I'll just tighten these down a hair and use the marks on the plastic as a guide" but because I used the sharp pointed screws they bit into the plastic just fine on their own.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
    No pictures to post but I just finished up this install and it seems very secure and I think it will work out nicely. I think it's a well thought out solution that definitely fills a need with the moe handguards. That being said (and maybe I'll have to turn in my man card for saying this); what a pain in the ass to install. Perhaps it's just the tight working space??? Dimpling for the set screws is tough due to the fact the other side of the handguard prevents a straight shot with the drill. Also I managed to both bend the shit out of the spiralock and draw blood trying to get it on. Finally because you can't get a full turn on the set screws but instead have to use a series of small turns my threadlock started to harden up before I could get them tight.

Again this is not a negative comment about Mount-n-slot and their product and probably more a commentary on my mechanical ability. I think its a fine product at a fair price. I just wanted to give another perspective for those who may want to perform this install. For me if IWC decides to start offering moe's with this already installed I would gladly pay a small premium for the service.
    To drill the dimples, you just chuck a pancake adapter up in your drill motor and use a short threaded drill bit

Since it just a dimple in plastic, a short drill bit could be used by itself and turn it with your fingers.

The thread lock drying isn't a problem. I've gotten several items where the screws to be installed had dried blue thread lock already applied
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-17-11 at 06:28.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Most everyone has a dereml and one of these bits. Just stick this thing in there sideways with the rpm's cranked up and with just a touch you have a dimple.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Earl Help!

I think you said we could order handguards with the mount installed but I am having trouble finding it as an option on your web site.

I went here to the link you provided is this the right page?

http://store.impactweaponscomponents.com/qdmimo.html

Just called and spoke to Earl. On a Sunday! He said they're about two weeks out so I am going to sit tight and wait. I need a new set of MOE handguards and I will order from him with the mount installed. Off to order the HK Style Sling mount from MOUNT-N-SLOT which will work for my gun with M4 handguards.

Thanks Earl.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 04-17-11 at 13:24.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    This is the IWC TM Snap Hook mount meant for the top of M4 and MOE carbine handguards. It functions somewhat like a Magpul RSA only for plastic handguards, and is meant to mount on the top vent holes and hang off the support hand side of the weapon.

I have MOE Midlength handguards, I love the MS2, and I don't like having a big bulky mount sticking out the side of the handguards. Its uncomfortable if I happen to grab the handguard in that spot. I don't know, its just me.

However, I, unlike alot of you prefer to shoot in the 1 point 99.9% of the time. This left me in a very peculiar spot. No one makes a low profile sling mount compatible with the MOE Midlengths.

So I picked up the TM Snap Hook mount from IWC, fully knowing it wouldn't work as advertised. I had a bit of a different idea...

I love it. Like I said, for someone who constantly uses 2 point a VTAC type sling using the IWC QD Micro mount will work lightyears better. However, if you mainly use one point but like the capability to go to two point for a secure weapon carry ability, this is right on the money.

If I had my own CNC shop, I would make it 1/4" taller and change the "triangle" loop to a circle loop, it would be perfect.
    Last edited by SWATcop556; 04-19-11 at 07:44. Reason: Thin ice bro
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast