Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: IWC QD MICRO MOUNT-N-SLOT as installed into a MOE

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eldogg View Post
    ordered mine on the phone today. looks like what i've been wanting. thanks heavyduty for the idea.
    Nope, not my idea - I was just the Guinea pig!
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Installed without a hitch using HeavyDuty's tutorial - thank you for taking the time.

Thanks to Earl at IWC for the speedy service. I am looking forward to taking the mount out for a test run.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Go easy and let the bit do the work - Magpul uses a tough polymer for their handguard.
    Understatement of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    It's very similar to installing a McFarland gas ring, you gently twist it on like a Slinky. I used a small flat blade jewelers screwdriver to spread the coils and prod the Spirolock into place.
    Took me a bit to figure out what you meant about this, but I finally got it.

Ad the end of the day I managed to do it!
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I may have missed it but with regard to the moe's which are the correct set screws--the longer flat ones or the shorter pointy ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
    I may have missed it but with regard to the moe's which are the correct set screws--the longer flat ones or the shorter pointy ones?
    Thanks for ordering!

If you are mounting the QD MICRO near the barrel nut and the taper area of the barrel, then use the small pointy ones, as they'll sit beneath the inside surface of the flange and allow clearance for the heat shields to clear the MICRO and barrel.

If you are not mounting it near the barrel nut, then either ones work fine. The pointy ones have no possibility of scratching the heat shields. Check your set-up for clearance and then proceed.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Feedback Score
    Got mine in today and installed right away. I opted to use an epoxy in addition to the set screws to keep it secure...had some on hand, figured it would offer additional protection to keep it from rotating.

Digging it so far...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some thing that might be helpful on installs where a hole will have to be drilled would be a plate that matches the dimensions of the backing plate but without the barrel. This could be stuck to the inside of a handguard to check for clearanses when reassembled. Otherwise there is no way to mock it up without drilling the hole.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Some thing that might be helpful on installs where a hole will have to be drilled would be a plate that matches the dimensions of the backing plate but without the barrel. This could be stuck to the inside of a handguard to check for clearanses when reassembled. Otherwise there is no way to mock it up without drilling the hole.
    Thanks for the comment. But clearance is a non-issue. The QD MICRO MOUNT-N-SLOT installs on a MOE Carbine, the most linear compact of the series, without issue.

This is a complex, multi set-up CNC components. Retails for $15.95. We just added a hex key, like all of our other products which is Made in the USA by Elkind, which further erodes our already slim margin.

I apologize. We can't add another milled to size component to act as a template.

We are working on a SolidWorks designed PRINTED DRILL TEMPLATE (paper) to send with the mount. We can afford this.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Feedback Score
    i got mine and installed it following heavy's tutorial. worked out great. i really like this set up. i followed the instructions on which set screws(long) to use . yes, they will scratch up the black paint if you use the long ones. i'm not changeing them out. it's a non issue to me, it's installed, i'm happy.
    thanks earl and heavyduty.
    eldogg

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Great looking product. I was going to do a lightweight build with MOE furniture throughout, but was driven away from the idea because there were no options for sling attachments that I liked. This would have done the trick.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast