Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: IWC QD MICRO MOUNT-N-SLOT as installed into a MOE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Great review! Magpul should have thought of this... or they did and are waiting for a the v2 to include a swivel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eo500 View Post
    Great review! Magpul should have thought of this... or they did and are waiting for a the v2 to include a swivel.
    Magpul released v2, or as they call it, Gen 2, when they launched the Mid-Length MOE. And they chose not to include slots or holes in the rear area. Now, Gen 2 in all three lengths are out and there is no built in QD or slot. So we saw a "Hole" in the design and filled it with our QD MICRO MOUNT-N-SLOT.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Feedback Score
    Has this product been released yet? I didn't see it in the online store...I'd LOVE to give one of these a go. Using the 'standard' MOE QD cup but a low pro option would be so much better. Been really digging my other M-N-S stuff!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I think Earl said a few weeks - they're at the finisher right now.
    Thanks for the info and for the review. I'm finishing a lightweight SBR and bought a standard Mount N' Slot for the MOE handguard, think I 'll wait for this one now.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If you run MOE HG's and you grip the fore end with your thumb on top (Magpul Dynamics style), you just can't beat IWC's handstop for the MOE.

I've been using it for months now and I'll never go back.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at options and was going to go the noveskie route. But this looks much cleaner. Nice!
    “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Khalil Gibran

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    If you run MOE HG's and you grip the fore end with your thumb on top (Magpul Dynamics style), you just can't beat IWC's handstop for the MOE.

I've been using it for months now and I'll never go back.
    I was thinking of doing this myself. Do you mount the handstop at the 6 o'clock position?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Go easy and let the bit do the work - Magpul uses a tough polymer for their handguard.
    Understatement of the month.

It's very similar to installing a McFarland gas ring, you gently twist it on like a Slinky. I used a small flat blade jewelers screwdriver to spread the coils and prod the Spirolock into place.
    Took me a bit to figure out what you meant about this, but I finally got it.

Ad the end of the day I managed to do it!
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    Day before yesterday I mounted the micro QD on my Magpull MOE carbine length. I used HeavyDuty's mounting technique with a couple of exceptions. First I marked the extended lines of the vent slot, using masking tape and then marked the center line between the lines. I then inserted a pencil in the end of the slot and used a CD case (0.150"ish thick) to gain a little more off set and then marked my drill point using the spur of the Forstner bit. Drilled the hole using my cordless drill and cleaned up the hole using my pocket knife. When I inserted the mount the tapped hole in the ear on the slot side was almost perfectly aligned with the radius at the end of the slot. I struggled getting the clip installed, due to the hump, but finally got there without filing on the hump. The micro qd mount was remarkably flush inside.

What will I do differently when I repeat the job on the next upper?

First I will work in full daylight. Tangling with the ring under marginal lighting is the pits.
    Second I will add a 5/8" forstner bit to the mix. I will set up the same way described before and then go to the drill press and feed down and "spot face" the edge of the hump till the bit is ready to touch on the slot side. Then use the 1/2" forstner to go on through the hand guard. This will leave a 1/16" (half of the 1/8" difference in diameter) wide arc in the hump which will make installing the ring easier. I had no need to spot drill the receiver end setscrew contact area. The recess for the hump was there and the screw bit fine with the help of a little thumb pressure on the back of the mount.

All told the installation took me maybe 30 minutes of real work plus, 20 minutes of looking around on the floor for the dropped (at least 4x)retaining ring, ten minutes to doctor and stop the bleeding from the stab wound, in my index finger, from the retaining ring pointy end, and 10 minutes looking for my Blue loctite.

By the way the correct allen wrench size is 2mm. My mount did not come with an allen but then I had a set in the tool chest.

All told I'm pleased with the installation on my carbine. No pictures from me because my digital foo is weak and the black mount on a black stock would not show up all that well anyway. Besides it looks like the other photos folks posted about their carbine installs.

Earl is a great guy to talk with and recommended using the long screw in the slot on the forward end of the mount, because of the limited installation room on the carbine length MOE handguard.
    Semper Paratus
    (Always Prepared)

Feedback Score
    Can this sling mount be used on STANDARD handguards?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast