Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: IWC QD MICRO MOUNT-N-SLOT as installed into a MOE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kombos View Post
    Same here....my order came fast and the parts are very well made......I'm pleased!!
    Great to hear!

Feedback Score

Installed! Not without a little drama though...

Well, I attempted to install my QD Micro mount tonight in my midlength MOE. Everything seemed to go smoothly all the way up to the point where I had to mount that evil little Spirolock. That's when things got interesting...

I had just got it started in the groove using a small screwdriver when, sproing! The bloody thing went flying across my garage.

I searched where I thought it had landed based on my not-so-superhuman hearing of the impact. After emptying out a number of shelves looking for the ring, I very luckily found it hiding like a sniper in the dust bunnies under the shelving unit. Luck was on my side tonight I guess.

Not wanting to repeat the same experience, I took the mount, ring, screwdriver and hanguard and virtually inserted my entire upper body into a large clear bag, trying hard to mitigate the threat of another dreadful sproing incident. Eventually with some more luck, the little ring finally caught the groove properly and I was able to encourage it to go the rest of the way and be fully seated.

The rest of the install was easy in comparison and it's now good to go for my build this Saturday.

All in all, it's a slick little QD mount that looks like it totally belongs on the handguard. Nice job IWC and thanks for the helpful install tips HeavyDuty.

Cheers,

MarkT

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Question: I see several references in this thread to using a Forstner type drillbit, which is a fairly specialized woodworking bit (most often used for drilling holes that do not go completely through the workpiece). I have complete sets of twist drill bits (the common style) and spade bits (a common wood drill style for larger holes) and may even have a 1/2" solid carbide bit floating around. Is there a benefit to using a Forstner bit instead? I'm planning to use a drill press rather than a handheld drill if it makes a difference.
    I used a spade bit because I didn't have and Lowes was out of the Forstner bits. Using a 18V Dewalt handheld I didn't have any problems going through a moe, and ended up with a smooth clean hole.

Quote Originally Posted by markt View Post
    Everything seemed to go smoothly all the way up to the point where I had to mount that evil little Spirolock. That's when things got interesting...
    Mine didn't go flying but it did stab me and draw blood. Pesky little suckers.

The mount has been rock solid and held up great. Great option.
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I used this to install a similar device in a set of MOE handguards. Drill press, lowest speed.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    I used a standard drill bit in a drill press at low speed. Worked fine

Feedback Score

Front of moe?

Has anyone fitted one of the IWC QD's to the front of a carbine length MOE hand guard please?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Has anyone fitted one of the IWC QD's to the front of a carbine length MOE hand guard please?
    IWC has... We installed a QD MICRO at the front & rear on both sides of the same MOE Carbine Hand Guard... All for locations work great. I'll post a pic today.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Look forward to the pic.

While its not an option on the website, if I mail the request after placing the order, can you fit the QD?

Feedback Score
    Just installed my QD micro into my mid-length MOE handguard.
    I didnt use a forster bit and my hole is a little ragged on the outside.
    Not noticeable at arms length, but when looking closely its a little rough.

Great product, but I suggest using the bit recommended by the OP, seems like everyone who used that has a clean hole.

Also had no problem going through the MOE polymer, maybe it was the bit I used, but it went through like butter

Feedback Score
    Sharp razor blade and a steady hand will smooth up the hole if you forget to bring home your nice bit like me and buy a paddle wood bit from walmart at 1am.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast