Thread: Bushmaster A1 16" barrel

Feedback Score

Bushmaster A1 16" barrel

Yesterday, I was browsing at a gun show and I stumbled upon a couple of dealers who had tables and tables of firearms.

I stopped by the AR15 table to look.

They had quite a few Bushmaster rifles and all at fairly low prices, all new in box.

I saw a Bushmaster 16" barrel carbine with collapsible stock, and A1 style sights........for $770!!!

This seems like a very good buy but I'm left doubtful because the price is so low.

That's why I'm here. Is there anything based on the info I've given you that would suggest I buy or look else where?

The same dealers are always there every gun show so they will be there in November. If all goes well, this should be my first AR15-based rifle.

Feedback Score
    I'd be very careful with any thing AR related found at gun shows unless you know and trust the person doing the selling.
    It's too easy to swap on junk stuff.

Some BM A1's:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=83805094
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=83803434
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=83712060
    -David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score

Smile ddemis

It could have been Bushmasters new A1 light weight carbine with G.I. style flash hider and light weight barrel. The new rifle was relased in late 06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What barrel profile was it?

Either way, you don't honestly know what you are getting unless it looks like the guy has a reputation at stake. Any bubba could swap out parts for crap and leave you to take the KB in the face. Either way, a $770 BM sounds more reasonable than what they usually go for, but still not what I'd call a "good deal".

If you are looking to buy a carbine/rifle, do some thinking about what it is you want, if it is a range toy, sure buy the BM, that price sounds decent. If you are thinking about using it for defense or SHTF (If you don't right now, you will after you buy an AR ), think about what optics you may put on it, about the slings and stuff you'll put on it, how light/heavy do you want the barrel? Do you plan on carrying the gun a long distance? All of these things are important, trust me, think them over, THEN look for an AR. If you just buy an AR then think what you want it for; you're going to dump more cash in it than if you think it through beforehand.

BM isn't the brand I'd go with. For about $800 you can get a great AR with an upper just the way you want it from CMMG, or another reputable vendor. BM has screwed me over on their factory extractor parts and buffers. I would not buy from them when there are so many alternatives.

If it were me, I'd spend my time at the gun-show screwing with some AR's to get a feel for what you might want, look for a good lower receiver, leave with it, then browse the internet for parts while thinking over what it is you want exactly. If you decide for some reason to build an all BM parts gun with an A1 upper and a 16" barrel, then you are out nothing. But if you come to a different conclusion, or buy parts from a better maker at the same price, you've lost nothing and gained quality. Don't worry about assembly, it's very easy as long as you buy a complete upper. (ie the barrel installed on the receiver)

Feedback Score
    You make some great points there, bushmasterfanboy.

I did see some completed lowers at the gun show. I didn't catch the brands but they were running about $325. How much should one pay for a decent completed lower?

If I can get a lower at the gun show for a decent price then I will order a complete upper from the internet. From CMMG, LMT, whoever, that has a flat top A3 style receiver.....and the best reputation.

BTW, the $770 bushmaster was exactly like the first gunbroker link AMMOTECH posted. It had the forward assist, m4 style barrel, retractable stock, A1 sights.

Feedback Score
    Save your $$$ a bit longer until you can drop $1200+ and get your local FFL to do a transfer or order you a good complete weapon from Colt or LMT.

LMT: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=83698396

Colt: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=83826162
    -David

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    You make some great points there, bushmasterfanboy.

I did see some completed lowers at the gun show. I didn't catch the brands but they were running about $325. How much should one pay for a decent completed lower?

If I can get a lower at the gun show for a decent price then I will order a complete upper from the internet. From CMMG, LMT, whoever, that has a flat top A3 style receiver.....and the best reputation.

BTW, the $770 bushmaster was exactly like the first gunbroker link AMMOTECH posted. It had the forward assist, m4 style barrel, retractable stock, A1 sights.
    I'd skip the completed lower. A good $100 (I'd go with Stag, IIRC there is nothing wrong with their lowers) lower plus a quality parts kit and a M4 stock plus H buffer from bravo co. totals $255 (this includes a CAR stock wrench from BCM as well). All you do is hammer in some pins, wrench on the stock, stake the castle nut, and voila. You now have a better lower than a BM, plus a mil-spec buffer tube, an H buffer, and a correct staking of the castle nut to boot. Why pay more for less? Don't be intimidated by the lower, I was at one time, but it gets real simple real fast when the parts are there in front of you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMMOTECH View Post
    Save your $$$ a bit longer until you can drop $1200+ and get your local FFL to do a transfer or order you a good complete weapon from Colt or LMT.

LMT: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=83698396

Colt: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=83826162
    That's great if he absolutely positively wants a Colt or LMT, but I think he just wants a good AR that's above the curve but won't take $400 dollars from him that he could have spent on ammo.

Me, I'd skip the LMT's and Colt's. In the realm of the complete AR, they're great. Almost nothing better. But if you can build a gun from parts (you can) then the lose their edge fast, just IMHO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterFanBoy View Post
    That's great if he absolutely positively wants a Colt or LMT, but I think he just wants a good AR that's above the curve but won't take $400 dollars from him that he could have spent on ammo.

Me, I'd skip the LMT's and Colt's. In the realm of the complete AR, they're great. Almost nothing better. But if you can build a gun from parts (you can) then the lose their edge fast, just IMHO.
    Point taken. I was just trying to give him a simple solution.

He could find a lower and then have Grant build him an upper just like he wants it.

I do like that LMT..... It may be time to sell my 2 BM's and upgrade for the last time.
    -David

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMMOTECH View Post
    Point taken. I was just trying to give him a simple solution.

He could find a lower and then have Grant build him an upper just like he wants it.

I do like that LMT..... It may be time to sell my 2 BM's and upgrade for the last time.
    That's true. Grants a good guy to deal with. I'm keeping my BM's for now, but I've put as much $$$$ into them with rails, internals, etc. that I think I may as well gotten an LMT/Colt to begin with. But my preference is for a well thought out kit gun, that way you don't end up sending it off for different barrels, FSB's or any of the like when you find out you wanted them to begin with.