Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dump Pouches, Why?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think a dump pouch is best used as a place to stow partially spent mags after doing a tactical reload. However, I think a tactical reload is more of an administrative thing when it comes down to it, so maybe it should be called an administrative reload but that would confuse terms. As others have stated they become pouches full of stuff, hopefully useful stuff, during classes. The intent and capability is still there in case you need to do it for the class. I do not practice putting partial mags back in a mag pouch because it's usually time consuming and the liklihood to mistake a partial mag for a full one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I have edited my original post...hopefully that clears it up slightly.

The question is about dump pouches being used during reloads of mags that have run dry....does that help?
    Mag empty: toss it.

Tac reload (mag not empty): retain it.

It's pretty much one or the other; if you try to retain both (in separate locations) you will invariably get them mixed up anyway...requires too much thought when "the monkey's on your back".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LONGBOWAH View Post

It's pretty much one or the other; if you try to retain both (in separate locations) you will invariably get them mixed up anyway...requires too much thought when "the monkey's on your back".

EXACTLY !!! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LONGBOWAH View Post

This is my line of thinking, you just summed it up much shorter than I did lol...

First, just want to say that this was meant to be a discussion, not a debate or trying to convince anyone to do something a different way. Just want to share ideas. So thank you guys so far for keeping it as such.

The question came up because in almost everyone's loadout, I see dump pouches. Maybe like coloccw said, people just use them cause they saw a pic of some mil operator using them. But since I assume that everyone "trains the way they fight" (like you should) I was wondering what the theory was behind it.

Using it just for holding mags (partial or empty) during training like John_Wayne said is fine, BUT is that the way that you are actually going to fight (if you ever have to)?

If I have a bunch of small miscellaneous items, wouldn't a 3rd line (small backpack) be more usefull than a dump pouch to store AND organize your gear?

As far as tac reloads go, my current sop is to load from the closest mag to my strong side (furthest from my weak side) and stuff the partial in the pocket that I just reloaded from. Since I always do my "speed reloads" from my weak side beltline (or closest pouch on my rig to my weak side if the beltline is empty) then I would be getting to the partials only if I have used up all other full mags. (Yes, this is the "Magpul method"...it just makes sense to me)

I do like Grant's idea of using a cargo pocket to store mags. I might have to try that out.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatoCATM View Post
    I do not practice putting partial mags back in a mag pouch because it's usually time consuming and the liklihood to mistake a partial mag for a full one.
    This is why I believe that it is not only the "mission that drives the gear" but also "the tactics..." to a certain extent.

Since I have adopted a sop (see above) of putting partials back in certain mag pouches, I try to find gear that allows me to do this.

Slightly off topic, I know, but just wanted to throw that in there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Context: Civ self defense, LE use

I use a dump pouch on my tac gear and in training. It's a utility pouch only, used to either carry extra widgets, or to store them pending return to the car/bench... extra full mags pending placement in a designated pouch, empties I pick up off the deck, loose rounds, door stops, evidence grabs, etc.

The dump pouch doesn't figure into my reload considerations in any way. For those exercises, I pretend it isn't there as it won't be there for real.

If I'm doing a tac reload, the partially expended mag goes in a pocket, as those will be there regardless of context or venue.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Okay so it sounds like the dump pouch fills the role of storing partial mags which may be needed later, empty mags, and all sorts of other random things one may pick up. Seems like that could get confusing whn one runs out of ammo and goes for teh dump pouch to save themselves and happen to pull out an empty mag or a "Twinkie".

Seems like it would not be a good idea to keep random things in there. Being a civilian I don't use a dump pouch and prefer to just bump my mags up to retain partials when doing Tac reloads and simply drop empties or stick em in a pocket. Of course I can also understand the need to retain all mags depending on circumstance.

I know that the more basic setup is becoming fashionable again, but for me at least the dumper is a training-only item so what happens with it is a non-issue. I'm not going back to it for partial magazines. If anything between drills I'm stripping leftover rounds out and creating full magazines to put back into my pouches.

FWIW, I put partial magazines feedlips-down, and empty magazines feedlips-up which helps me keep track of things on the range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    FWIW, I put partial magazines feedlips-down, and empty magazines feedlips-up which helps me keep track of things on the range.
    Thanks for that. Added to my toolkit.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I saw the need for a dump pouch when I was at JRTC and was doing a pretty intense day/night live fire excercise. I went through around 9 and 13 mags for each "TIC", and found that when doing tac reloads it was waaay too awkward trying to put partially empty mags in mag pouches or pockets when something might kick off at any time and was distracting me from my situational awareness. Also we were constantly moving simulated casualties and partial mags were falling out of my cargo pockets (thanks velcro!). Like others have stated I found it made more sense to toss empties and throw partials in my dump pouch. When I was overseas I noticed that there were usually pauses in firefights and with proper security set-up it gave some of us time to re consolidate our ammo i.e. take partial mags and refill them from other partials. I also still carried my dump pouch when I was a SAW gunner because I could stow sensitive items in it in an emergency (once we almost had to torch and abandon an 1151 and I threw my SKL in there) and it was also useful for throwing in captured stuff / intel / loot, or even an extra bottle of water. I think everyone should use one and still think it shows a lot about mindset that the USMC issues dump-pouches and in the Army we had to buy them. Anyway, I still use one for training, just now I throw partials and empties in the same pouch.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We (Marines), used our dump pouches to hold empty magazines primarily. We were stressed magazine retention. They also come in handy for carrying snack food and drinks on post
    12 hours of straight-on post can be grueling for 7 months.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast