Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dump Pouches, Why?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Frame of reference would definitely be helpful here.

Also, it does appear that this is yet another gear questions based in a misunderstanding of TTPs. In other words "what is a penis for" when someone doesn't understand what sex is, or how to do it.
    rob, see my post above...hope that helps clear it up.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Yes

Ironman that clears it up, thanks.

Rob, frame of reference was in regard to what his mindset was. I know when I served, you didn't drop your mags ever or you were in the shit with the NCO. In LE, my agency we just dump and go when on SRT. We use limited movement drills and it is just easier to reload as you drop the mag as you go.

That was my mindset. Hope that makes it clearer for you.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I am a civilian. In training, I have always just dropped mags when they run dry and tac reloaded partial mags into an open mag pouch. I have never used a dump pouch, and was just wondering what you guys' theories were on the subject.
    There is a long and heated debate about doing tac reloads at all. One side says that you are going to shoot the gun to slide lock. Another side says that when there a "lull" in the fighting, you will due a tac reload.

As a Civy, you might only have 2 mags on you (thinking CCW) and no backup/help. So ditching that mag on the ground (with ammo in it) would generally be a bad idea. Then again, if time is critical, spending the time to put the mag in a pocket might be a bad idea.

So for me, I will let the circumstance dictate what I do or don't do, but practice all forms of mag change (emergency, tactical and tactical with retention) along with retaining mags and also dropping them on the ground

C4

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

This

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    There is a long and heated debate about doing tac reloads at all. One side says that you are going to shoot the gun to slide lock. Another side says that when there a "lull" in the fighting, you will due a tac reload.

As a Civy, you might only have 2 mags on you (thinking CCW) and no backup/help. So ditching that mag on the ground (with ammo in it) would generally be a bad idea. Then again, if time is critical, spending the time to put the mag in a pocket might be a bad idea.

So for me, I will let the circumstance dictate what I do or don't do, but practice all forms of mag change (emergency, tactical and tactical with retention) along with retaining mags and also dropping them on the ground

C4

That about sums it up today!
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I use them when running the carbine. I understand all that "train as you'd fight" stuff, I just don't find it applicable in this case. Having your whits about you is much more important. I have watched people just flat get derailed trying to stuff a magazine in a pouch/pocket/dumper to the point of completely losing track of what they are supposed to be doing (getting rounds downrange) and it matters not a bit what kind or receptacle it was. I will make 1, maybe 2, attempts to get the magazine in the receptacle I want it in and then drop it.

I also find dump pouches useful for various incidentals. Timers, water bottles, the #1 magazine, pens, gloves, etc.

My HD gun has a Redimod on it. If I was going to tac-load in that scenario I'd put the partial magazine back in the Redimod. Beyond that application I don't like to fill pouches with partial magazines, dependent to some degree on the number of pouches I have.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why do I use one? Because it gives me a place to stow a partially spent mag or an empty mag I picked up off the deck until I can reload it back at the benches when I'm at a class.

Feedback Score
    Ever consider that people carry more than magazines on their person (in a mil/LE setting)? Door charges, chemlights, rope gloves, etc are usually kept in a dump pouch on missions. Some people see and want everything that operators wear and have no idea what they are used for. If you don't know what it is for, you probally don't need it. Yes they are nice for putting mags in, however I've never had a magazine not go into a pocket or whatever holder it was stored in to begin with.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can see the use for a dump pouch in a training class or at the range to carry empty mags, gloves, water, etc. But I do not use it to store partially fired mags. During training, when we do tac-reloads, I stuff the partially loaded mag in the waistband to remind me that it is NOT A FULL mag. My mag pouches are for a fresh topped off mag. That way there is no confusion.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I use them when running the carbine. I understand all that "train as you'd fight" stuff, I just don't find it applicable in this case. Having your whits about you is much more important. I have watched people just flat get derailed trying to stuff a magazine in a pouch/pocket/dumper to the point of completely losing track of what they are supposed to be doing (getting rounds downrange) and it matters not a bit what kind or receptacle it was. I will make 1, maybe 2, attempts to get the magazine in the receptacle I want it in and then drop it.
    Yes. If they need to be firing their weapon, spending ANY TIME attempting to secure a mag is a waste. In this instance, I would drop the mag on the ground and if possible, pick it up later.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Okay so it sounds like the dump pouch fills the role of storing partial mags which may be needed later, empty mags, and all sorts of other random things one may pick up. Seems like that could get confusing whn one runs out of ammo and goes for teh dump pouch to save themselves and happen to pull out an empty mag or a "Twinkie".

Seems like it would not be a good idea to keep random things in there. Being a civilian I don't use a dump pouch and prefer to just bump my mags up to retain partials when doing Tac reloads and simply drop empties or stick em in a pocket. Of course I can also understand the need to retain all mags depending on circumstance.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast