Thread: Range 37 - Gunfighter Match this Saturday March 5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fyeguy View Post
    Agreed. The scoring system has been evolving since we ran the first match. Procedurals (which are loosely defined as 'anything that will get you kilt in combat') are compounding. One goof will cost you 10 seconds, the next will cost you 20, and on and on. You cannot win by blazing through the course. On top of that, if you shoot clean (no misses, no non-threat hits, no procedurals) you get a 20 second bonus. Really makes you slow down a bit and concentrate on tactics and accuracy.
    I LIKE the compounding procedural thing! Very cool!

Given our 30-seconds per FTN and NT, we pretty much automatically wind up with a bonus for shooting it clean. When you view our scores you typically have the clean-shooters at the top, and just about anyone that gets an FTN or NT is out of the running.

Target zone is basically a six-inch strip up the center of the body from forehead to pelvis. You can put 50 rounds into a target, but if you don't get two in the scoring area you missed. Non-threats are typically positioned to make for some tricky shots.
    We use IDPA targets, in part because the parent club is IDPA and we get them "free". 2 shots in the -0, or 3 shots in the -1 (or better) counts as "neutralized". 27 hits in the -3 gets you nothing. Examples of neutralized targets can be seen in our rules here.

What I really, really want to use are these targets, and we did once but they got cost-prohibitive and with the paper targets it gets hard to score. I looked into getting these zones perforated into these carboards but it got REALLY expensive. When we used the paper, we made the ocular/nasal and the center circle of the chest the same as the current -0 (2 shots) and the rest of the head and the outer tear-drop in the chest the same as the -1 (3 shots). IMO it had exactly the desired effect.

Alternately, going forward I had plans to change to the USPSA target with the torso A-zone cut in half so only the top section counts. I personally think most competition targets are too lenient.

I've avoided linking the head and chest scoring zones in part because I want to force people to continue to work on hold-overs at various distances. I have gotten some flack for not having a spinal column hit count, but the tradeoff has been worth it for me.

I don't mean to hijack your thread here. This has been a passion of mine for the past 6 years. Just before I quit I even went to 3D COF design to help the setup crew visualize the intent, and we started publishing COF to the email list prior to the matches unless the stages were intended to be "blind". If you ever want to compare notes or would prefer to continue the discussion off the forum please feel free to email me at rob AT tacticalyellowvisor DOT net. I love talking about this stuff as I find other people's approaches to the same goal fascinating. Eventually I'll get back into running these kind of matches, even if at a different venue than my old one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I LIKE the compounding procedural thing! Very cool!

Given our 30-seconds per FTN and NT, we pretty much automatically wind up with a bonus for shooting it clean. When you view our scores you typically have the clean-shooters at the top, and just about anyone that gets an FTN or NT is out of the running.
    Sounds familiar.

What I really, really want to use are these targets, and we did once but they got cost-prohibitive and with the paper targets it gets hard to score
    That's a good looking target. Right now we're using modified IPSC targets, but I think eventually we'll have some custom ones made up.

Alternately, going forward I had plans to change to the USPSA target with the torso A-zone cut in half so only the top section counts. I personally think most competition targets are too lenient.

I've avoided linking the head and chest scoring zones in part because I want to force people to continue to work on hold-overs at various distances. I have gotten some flack for not having a spinal column hit count, but the tradeoff has been worth it for me.
    Agreed but I think you've got to be a little creative here, we're trying to establish a high accuracy standard, but at the same time you don't want to turn it into a bulls-eye competition.
    I don't mean to hijack your thread here. This has been a passion of mine for the past 6 years.
    No problem, we just want to make each match better than the last.