Thread: Kydex "pancake" style holster makers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I think versatility is the biggest thing, coupled with people who want to be like everyone else.

I cant entirely agree that they have become more popular, but rather with the new offerings they have actually made it to the hands of those who want them.

ETA: With it though comes a negative, we have the holster wars now. Everyone is all up in arms over which came first, who is allowed to make what, and all the other stupid crap that comes with it.
    Good post.

The problem is that like i mentioned earlier there is very little innovation from the current crop of holster makers. No one really sat down and "designed" their holsters except for a select few. The majority of current producers are merely taking an existing formula and copying it, often times in an inferior way.

I can see why Raven might get up in arms over some of the BLATANT copies.

Having said that, there are alot of guys out there thinking out of the box and coming up with new ways in which these holsters are designed, the molds being used and different feature sets that appeal to alot of end users. Its not just about availability.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If God is just, I tremble for my country. - Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Good post.

The problem is that like i mentioned earlier there is very little innovation from the current crop of holster makers. No one really sat down and "designed" their holsters except for a select few. The majority of current producers are merely taking an existing formula and copying it, often times in an inferior way.

I can see why Raven might get up in arms over some of the BLATANT copies.

Having said that, there are alot of guys out there thinking out of the box and coming up with new ways in which these holsters are designed, the molds being used and different feature sets that appeal to alot of end users. Its not just about availability.

Correct, but there are often little things most people never notice about them, say comparing a Raven to something I made in my kitchen.

The other point that I think needs to be made is how much of Brand X's design can be traced back and considered a leather holster copy?

Look at the JMC Rkstkr. They use a belt loop that is exactly like most leather holsters. The "Raven type" has different belt loops that allow versatility, but they are not "new" belt loops. I am unsure of how much more innovation you can get outside of mounting methods, and the "Raven type" is probably the best.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Correct, but there are often little things most people never notice about them, say comparing a Raven to something I made in my kitchen.
    I think that's a really important distinction. Not only do a lot of people not notice, but they just frankly don't care. Just like the AR market, since it was used as a corollary already, wherein many people don't understand the "improvements" of a gun like the KAC SR15E3, but even if you explain the differences to them they still don't care, and really don't care at the price increase.
    Last edited by rob_s; 02-22-11 at 12:02.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think that's a really important distinction. Not only do a lot of people not notice, but they just frankly don't care. Just like the AR market, since it was used as a corollary already, wherein many people don't understand the "improvements" of a gun like the KAC SR15E3, but even if you explain the differences to them they still don't care, and really don't care at the price increase.
    I love ya Rob but man, you're jaded.

There ARE people out there that care they are just the minority.

Truth be told, the majority are NOT buying this type of product so the victor of this "holster war" will be the company that markets to the desires of their attentive minority customer base.

Raven isnt going anywhere, the majority of these upstarts will be gone in a year due to lack of forethought and planning. Trends come and go.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I love ya Rob but man, you're jaded.
    Of course I am, people are ****ing stupid. and the vast majority who think they aren't stupid are actually dumber than the admitted dumb ones. The majority who act like they care wouldn't know why if they didn't have someone else to explain it to them.

Feedback Score
    I don't know whether any of these other holster makers will chime in, and I'm not sure whether I'm welcome to do so, but I thought I'd risk wading in, and offering a couple of words.

It seems natural, and reasonable, to compare all Kydex "pancake" style holsters to those made by Raven Concealment Systems, as they've clearly enjoyed some considerable success, and have made themselves quite a name. I have never had one of their holsters in my hands, but witnessing the success, and the widespread testimony, I have to assume it's all because they're making a high quality product.

If I'm correct about that, then it's surely just as natural that there are outfits seeking to make similar products, and even outright copies. It's natural for people to want to emulate the successful. It's also natural for the successful to resent those who emulate them. I suppose it would be natural for them to even despise those who just outright copy them.

That said, human anatomy isn't exactly evolving before our eyes, other than people getting fatter. Handguns also fall into a pretty consistent "L" shape, across the board. We all put our pants on the same way, and hold them up with a belt. Holsters made to hang a pistol on a belt, in a way that's concealable, and comfortable, are really governed by a fairly finite set of variables. There are bound to be at least as many similarities between holsters of different makes, as there are differences. I think ingenuity, creativity, and skill, can lend quality to make some stand out, for the superiority in their details, nonetheless.

I, perhaps in vanity, fancy that I've designed a little bit different type of holster. I'll be the first to admit that it's probably something of a niche holster. I suppose that's a natural consequence of my designing it as the Kydex holster I'd want. Being formerly a staunch leather snob, I was resistant to copious customer requests for an IWB/OWB convertible holster, especially one made of Kydex. After about 100 times saying, "No, I'm not doing that," it gradually dawned on me that perhaps I was the one being the asshole. I already had equipment in my shop, which I had originally bought for making MOLLE compatible P-Mag carriers, and for making my son a suit of articulate Iron Man armor (no kidding). Prudence suggested I try to satisfy my customers, instead of putting them off. I took what I liked about my favorite leather holster designs together with the features that my customers were looking for, and focused my little brain on rendering that in Kydex. I drew my ideas up in Adobe Illustrator, and, after making a few prototypes, I had something I thought was presentable. That's the K-25 that I've been selling for some months. I think I build them pretty nicely, and my customers seem to agree. Just as importantly, I LIKE doing it, so I think I'll continue. I sure hope that doesn't offend anyone.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and there is the land of Bliss. ~ Miyamoto Musashi

DISCLOSURE: I represent SECRET CITY WEAPONEERS, purveyor of K-25 Multi-Role Concealment Holsters. I may, therefore, be biased...