View Poll Results: MBUS or Troy?

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • MBUS

46 25.14%
  • Troy

137 74.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MBUS or Troy? Really can't decide.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

MBUS or Troy? Really can't decide.

I've searched this topic and read everything I can find about it. Here's my situation: This is a DD upper from Smartgunner (essentially a V5 Lightweight with Omega X 12" rail). This will be my primary carbine and in another month or two once I finish saving the coin, it will wear a TA-11. However, I'm going to a LAV class the first weekend in March and need irons on the gun for that class. I plan to keep BUIS on the gun even with the ACOG, but don't really plan to use them much with the AGOG on there. I want the sights to be light and high quality. I saw Rob's article where they're basically the same height when folded. I have a set of MBUS on my MP15-22 and they seem to work well, but that's a 22 and I use it for 25yd indoor practice. Most of the posts on here state that the MBUS are good for the money. Saving money is great, but then again, buy once cry once. Please let me know what you would choose and WHY. Thanks guys!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like the PRI folding front sight HK style, with a round hood. I like the GGG MAD rear because of the very low profile.

Feedback Score
    For some reason I would rather have the metal iron sights. I have played with the mbus and like them, they seem strong, but I really think Troy is the way to go if you looking for back up sights for a serious rifle.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I own both.
    Ive taken a limited amount (one 3 day and one 1 day) carbine courses. Neither of which got into the issue of deploying BUIS.

The Troy is well built, no question, and its the piece that was suggested to me for a BUIS due to that reputation.

I had my Aimpoint H-1 go down on me (bad batt died during a COF) and had to deploy the Troy. At that moment I wished it was the MP.

Honestly, for MY NEEDS, I dont need rugged as much as I need quick to deploy within the scope od the real use for this firearm for me. Civvy, HD, or on the range. If I was concerned about being in harsh enviroments or drawn out gun fights with some distance in them Id go Troy every time. But on my steps with a goblin downstairs the slap-chop deployment is IMO worth the trade off.

JMO YMMV

ETA: My only issue with the MBUS is it wont fit under optics, but I hear the new ones coming out will.
    Last edited by Shawn.L; 02-03-11 at 13:50.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you have the money troy is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ive own MBUS's, Troy's, and KAC micro's....if money is no object, the KAC's are easily a cut above the rest imho. I like both the micro 300m and 600m rear sight, and the front micro sight is a real piece of fine craftsmanship/design with the dial adjustable front post and overall size.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 02-03-11 at 14:09.

Feedback Score
    I have both, and both have held up just fine. One issue already mentioned is the MBUS are pretty tall when folded and might not fit under some scope mounts. (Gen2 MBUS is supposed to address this) The troys are very low profile when folded and I haven't had any issues with them fitting under scopes or magnifiers. Another thing to consider, magpul warns not to install the MBUS front sight directly on a gas block. Probably due to heat.

On a further note, the troys give me a clearer sight picture then the MBUS. (personal preference) But you pay for it tho, almost twice the cost. Currently, my MBUS are sitting on my MP15-22 and my troys are on my SHTF/work rifle. For me, I would go troy with HK front sight.

Just my opinion

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I like them both personally. I originally got an MBUS rear for an immediate solution as MBUSs are much more affordable. This was supposed to be temporary while I worked on having my budget permit a Troy rear down the road. Today I'm still using the MBUS and to tell you the truth I've almost forgotten about getting the Troy. The MBUS has really grown on me. I suppose thet down the road I might still get a Troy if I find a good deal on one but for now I'm stickin' with my MBUS.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    This is a topic that interests me as well with regards to the rifle I'm currently building, which is also a DD upper from SmartGunner. I generally see the Troy recommended for durability. While I have no question regarding the Troy BUS quality or durability, I can't recall ever seeing any reports of the Magpul MBUS not holding up.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A former employer of mine did manage to break the rear MBUS on one of his uppers. I believe he either dropped the rifle or dropped something on it and one of the MBUS's claws that grabs onto the rail snapped off. While this is certainly operator-induced and a rare occurrence, I agree with everyone here... If youve got the cash, go Troy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast