Thread: Clean underneath the flashsuppresor

Feedback Score

Clean underneath the flashsuppresor

How you doin first thread for me on here. Got a question hopefully one that hasnt been beat to death. Who here takes off there flash suppressor and cleans under it. I was cleaning my rifle today and noticed how nasty the flash suppressor was and took it off and cleaned it. Im sure it effects accuracy, any comments.
    Send Chuck Norris to the White House

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Never take it off, just clean it with a toothbrush.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't really think it is necessary. I think any residue that would affect accuracy is blown off with each successive shot. I could be wrong though.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Unless you like replacing the crush washer every time you clean, its not worth it. You're right, it can get nasty, but Its nothing a foaming bore cleaner can't take care of. I would only worry about it when doing a thorough cleaning after 5k rounds or so.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I cleaned my previous rifle's supressor once with a toothbrush right before I sold it so it would look pretty.
    Other than that, never occurred to me to take the thing completely off...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    there are accounts of crown buildup absolutely killing accuracy. it depends a lot on which muzzle device you have.. some allow for big deposits, others not as much. you generally need to put a good 10,000+ rounds through, and with particularly dirty ammo before you might have accuracy issues.. i don't have a policy on when i clean it, but i do occasionally pull it and get in there.

when you clean the crown, make absolutely sure you don't damage it- NO steel brushes, probably not even bronze phosphate. since the crown itself doesn't really accumulate anything, but rather the face of the muzzle, i usually just scrape it with a .45 casing, being very careful not to **** with the crown. also, never re-use crush washers... stick a new one on there when you reinstall.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 02-23-11 at 23:27.

Feedback Score
    Not to completely hijack and sort of on a similar topic......What about the muzzle crown?? Has anyone ever tried to clean it?? I can see the end of the rifling and the crown looks shiney. Sometimes it can get gunk or cleaning fluid on it and the shine is then obscured. It probably doesn't even matter given that it may be self cleaning due to heat and pressure.

Feedback Score
    Its a pwc 556 its been about 7,000 rds since I installed it and it was nasty I cleaned it with a nylon brush and a little scrubbing with a bronze brush now she is good as new.
    Send Chuck Norris to the White House