Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BAD Lever Bolt Lock Issues... Cut Spring?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    For some reason the pin on the spring on my SBR lower was stuck in, so my BAD lever would just flop around. No function problems at all with about 400 rounds through that gun.
    Haha, that's pretty good evidence that a slightly cut spring may work OK. I don't think the recoil force really affects the up/down movement of the bolt catch.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I put a BAD lever on an AR-15 for the first time about a year ago. They are now standard equipment on my ARs, and I have never experienced the bolt not locking back after the last round. Combined I have over 10k rounds out of guns that had BAD levers on them, and a decent chunk of those were practicing reloading where I only put 3-10 rounds in a number of magazines. A lot of that ammo was Wolf, which we know is low powered.

So what is the difference that causes issues for some?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Haha, that's pretty good evidence that a slightly cut spring may work OK. I don't think the recoil force really affects the up/down movement of the bolt catch.

Dennis.
    In all seriousness, I wish it would have caused a random malfunction so I could have practiced my drills.

It might have become a problem in a course where you are doing more than shooting, who knows.

Feedback Score
    I guess my upper could be out of spec, but I wouldn't think it would be since it's a new, complete BCM upper.....but anything's possible I suppose............

I think my particular issue has more to do with the blue Sprinco spring in conjunction with the H-buffer and bulkier TL lever. But I will confirm that this weekend, since I will have both a new BCM carbine spring and new white Sprinco spring to test out.

I can put the carbine buffer back in it right now and it won't miss a lick with any ammo or mags, but I would honestly rather run an H buffer, even if it means no add-on battery assist lever.
    Last edited by 01tundra; 02-03-11 at 14:41.

Feedback Score
    I threw the new "white" Sprinco spring in with my H-buffer and headed out to the range on Saturday. I started out with the TL lever installed and was using two 20-round Pmags to do 2 round tests to check for bolt lock back.

With Wolf in it, it would not lock back with the lever installed, but would 50% of the time with the lever removed. I had about the same results with PMC .223 ammo, except with the lever removed it would lock back 100% of the time.

Ran about 300 rounds through it and headed home. Before I cleaned it up I decided to test one more thing. I removed the Sprinco spring and installed a new BCM carbine buffer spring with the H-buffer and loaded up two 20 round Pmags with 2 rounds of PMC and installed the TL lever again. I tested it about ten times rotating mags and it locked back 100% of the time.

All I can figure is that my rifle only likes plain old carbine springs....

I had a few other fun things happen while at the range, first my brand new FDE 20 round Pmag crack up at the top along the feed lip. Second thing was a failure to fire, I couldn't figure out what was going on with one of my Wolf rounds, until I looked closer and realized that they had installed the primer backwards......quality control at its finest, glad that was the last of the Wolf ammo I had left over.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The BAD is one of those parts that most people only have a very small sampling to deal with, and extrapolate that to the entire rest of the universe.

I have all three gens of Magpul BAD. From the prototype, to first production, to current production. I have never:
    1. had a failure to lock back
    2. had one come loose
    3. had an ND
    4. had a paddle it wouldn't attach to

This includes parts/pieces/rifles from a host of manufacturers to include Spike's, Colt, BCM, LMT, etc. and ammo from Wolf, to Brown Bear, to XM193 and Black Hills 75 and 77.

However, I have witnessed almost every one of the problems that have been mentioned in the thread, on other people's guns. In most cases that I've seen, the problem has been the operator/owner/host gun. and once home remedies start, on home-cooked guns to begin with, things tend to slide downhill.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've ran my BAD lever on both my 20" varmint RRA and my issue M4 without any issues, granted I've only had it for a few months and have only put a few hundred rounds down range between the two guns with it on but I feel pretty confident in it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

Dennis.
    Cutting springs is always a bad idea. It decreases the number of active coils and forces an increase in spring rate. Always consider the law of unintended consequences before cutting a spring.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would not cut the spring, as its not very powerful to begin with, and its purpose to keep bolt/bc from locking back when it shouldn't. That would be a Bad Thing during a serious situation; self defense, or costing time during competition.
    Had an issue with bolt/bc dropping with a reload, leaving an empty chamber, after installing a BAD. Suspect my right index finger may have hit it after pressing mag release. Since it was used and I was not going to get much by selling it, decided to modify it. Ended up cutting off most of grooved flat section on tip of BAD, no more issues. Made it a little lighter as well, which is a good thing.

Mark

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post

All I can figure is that my rifle only likes plain old carbine springs....

I had a few other fun things happen while at the range, first my brand new FDE 20 round Pmag crack up at the top along the feed lip. Second thing was a failure to fire, I couldn't figure out what was going on with one of my Wolf rounds, until I looked closer and realized that they had installed the primer backwards......quality control at its finest, glad that was the last of the Wolf ammo I had left over.
    Sounds like you are one of THOSE guys. You know, the ones that have all the problems so the rest of us can go on trouble free.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast