Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BAD Lever Bolt Lock Issues... Cut Spring?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think that people may be installing the BAD incorrectly (or poorly). Mine works perfectly and I've never had an issue with the bolt not locking on empty. My buddy's 10.5" MRP just got the BAD added to it and operated properly during our trip to the range Sunday.

If it's not attached well it could rotate a bit on the bolt release and possibly contact the receiver on the lower half of the BAD. If that happens it could then cause the failure to lock issue.

Vinson

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Many people (me included) have seen issues with the BAD and other levers causing failure to lock the bolt back on an empty mag. Intrepid users have tried many things including new lowers, bolt catches, buffers, BCG groups, and buffer springs with various amounts of success.

I think we can all agree a BAD lever is not part of the original rifle spec, but assuming we *want* to make it work, how about cutting the bolt catch spring?

Personally, I think this is a bad idea and would not do it on a serious use rifle, but it would likely fix the problem.

So the catch/spring was made to work a certain way but now you are adding extra weight to the catch with a BAD, making it harder to move out of the way and basically adding to the inertia required to move it. It would follow that a less powerful spring would allow the now heavier system to have the same inertia as before and work correctly. However, will a less powerful spring allow the system to move "easier" when not wanted and lock the bolt back at the wrong time? Is there a balance here or will a less powerful spring = less reliable operation?

Just a thought. Feel free to flame about not wasting time making an extra part work, but to me that's sorta what this whole forum is about

Dennis.
    How about an extra power/strength magazine spring?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    How about an extra power/strength magazine spring?
    That works for all my GI mags, but even on Magpuls that don't work extra power springs only partially solved the problems.

I have BAD levers on 4 other AR's that run great, it's just this upper that does not work. Being that it's a factory Noveske that shoots incredibly otherwise I am just seeing what else I can do to get it work.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have BAD levers on 4 other AR's that run great, it's just this upper that does not work.
    You hit the nail on the head, and proved my point, this is not a BAD lever issue, this is an issue with your upper.

In the case of this upper, either have the upper worked on to rectify it, as it sounds like it may not have enough bolt velocity you could perhaps open the gas port, use lighter buffer spring, lighter buffer, or simply leave the BAD lever off.

If it was mine I just wouldn't run the BAD as it isn't worth the hassle.

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 02-02-11 at 16:27.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I like the BAD Lever and have only had intermittent problems with just 20-round mags.

I've been speculating why the BAD's cause problems with some guns and not with others. Here's a guess as to what the problem may be:

Most of the Bolt Catches I have seen are kind of loose. A lot of side to side slop; no big deal but not a precision fit either. Plus the finish on the Bolt Catch and on the sides of the Bolt Catch supports are naturally “rough”.

The horizontal run of the BAD through the Trigger Guard probably accounts for a considerable percentage of the weight of a BAD. This weight is a couple of inches below the Bolt Catch's Pin.

During recoil, this weight "out on the end of a stick" applies a compounded force to the Bolt Catch which causes the BC to bind in between the supports for the BC and on the BC Pin. This binding hinders the magazine spring's push up on the BC long enough to miss catching the Bolt.

I'm not having a repeatable problem with my BAD. If I was having problems, I would do one of the two following:
    #1 - Try forcing a good thick teflon grease (SuperLube) into the sides of the BC around the pin, where the BC rubs inside the gun, and anywhere else there is a chance for a rub. Work the BC to spread the lube, relube, work it again, wipe of excess. Shoot the gun and see if this makes things better. If it does, then I would do #2.

#2 - Remove the BC to smooth the sides of the BC and smooth both of the inside edges of the BC supports with a polish. I'd probably smooth out everywhere that the BC rubbed or could rub in the gun.
    I wouldn't remove any finish; just smooth it out with a polish. Coupled with a little lube, this might allow the BC to “glide” into position in spite of the binding force applied by the BAD.

If this works out to be the problem, it might explain how some spring and buffer changes have had positive (and negative) affect on some BAD's but not others.

Now this is just me and my big head "thinking"...YMMV

Just a thought...

Last edited by ucrt; 02-02-11 at 16:45. Reason: Clarity

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    My issue with the BAD is that it doesn't fit any of the Colt bolt catches I have installed. I install Colt bolt catches on all my guns...even the SR15. The BAD simply is too big around the bolt catch interface to clamp down good on these.

From what I believe Drake said on TOS the BAD was tested primarily on SW lowers which uses a commercial size bolt catch. From the few I have examined the SW bolt catches are much thicker in the paddle areas than mil-spec Colt bolt catches.

I did test the BAD on a Stag LPK bolt catch I had laying around, and it clamped just fine to that. I think many of the commercial companies are using bolt catches with much thicker paddle areas than 'original/mil-spec' size paddles such as Colt.

The BAD was also slightly loose on the original SR15 bolt catch I had which I swapped at around 500 rounds. I have since run over 10k failure free rounds through that SR15. I do not think its an issue with with my uppers/lowers rather its just simply that the BAD will either work or it wont depending on the brand and setup you have. I got all kinds of issues using the BAD on that SR15. As soon as I took it off Ive not had any issues at all. Even after I took it off I ran that gun to over 5k rounds without a cleaning and didn't have any issues with it then, either. Im not going to blame the gun when it runs 100% without cleaning for over 5k rounds and over 10k without a single failure because an aftermarket device added to it suddenly causes problems.

Feedback Score
    I love having BAD levers on my guns and I think they are a great tool if they work like they should. If it's not working like it should, get rid of it.

I have them on both my ARs and I've never had a single problem.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

I'm not having a repeatable problem with my BAD. If I was having problems, I would do one of the two following:
    #1 - Try forcing a good thick teflon grease (SuperLube) into the sides of the BC around the pin, where the BC rubs inside the gun, and anywhere else there is a chance for a rub. Work the BC to spread the lube, relube, work it again, wipe of excess. Shoot the gun and see if this makes things better. If it does, then I would do #2.

#2 - Remove the BC to smooth the sides of the BC and smooth both of the inside edges of the BC supports with a polish. I'd probably smooth out everywhere that the BC rubbed or could rub in the gun.
    I wouldn't remove any finish; just smooth it out with a polish. Coupled with a little lube, this might allow the BC to “glide” into position in spite of the binding force applied by the BAD.

If this works out to be the problem, it might explain how some spring and buffer changes have had positive (and negative) affect on some BAD's but not others.

Now this is just me and my big head "thinking"...YMMV

Just a thought...

Yeah, my bolt catch has a decent amount of room to move around in and both the lower and catch are smooth. I have tried light oil, moly grease, and now Frog lube with no difference and the the action seems smooth as silk...

I do agree with your theory though, and am going to try a cut spring to achieve the same inertia reduction just for pure experimentation sake. I AM NOT GOING TO LEAVE A CUT SPRING IN MY LOWER

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    I have BAD levers on both my rifles. 16" carbine w/h buffer, and 16" middy w/h buffer. They both run great. My thoughts lean toward tolerance stacking. Tiny incremental differences in different rifles can add up to a "perfect storm" that won't allow the rifle to run with the BAD. I think the rule of thumb should be, if it runs fine ON THAT PARTICULAR RIFLE, use it. If it causes any problems whatsoever, ditch it. If you're bound and determined to use the BAD, be prepared to fiddle with everything, (including the lower) to get it to run.
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    For some reason the pin on the spring on my SBR lower was stuck in, so my BAD lever would just flop around. No function problems at all with about 400 rounds through that gun.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast