Thread: BAD Lever Bolt Lock Issues... Cut Spring?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

BAD Lever Bolt Lock Issues... Cut Spring?

Many people (me included) have seen issues with the BAD and other levers causing failure to lock the bolt back on an empty mag. Intrepid users have tried many things including new lowers, bolt catches, buffers, BCG groups, and buffer springs with various amounts of success.

I think we can all agree a BAD lever is not part of the original rifle spec, but assuming we *want* to make it work, how about cutting the bolt catch spring?

Personally, I think this is a bad idea and would not do it on a serious use rifle, but it would likely fix the problem.

So the catch/spring was made to work a certain way but now you are adding extra weight to the catch with a BAD, making it harder to move out of the way and basically adding to the inertia required to move it. It would follow that a less powerful spring would allow the now heavier system to have the same inertia as before and work correctly. However, will a less powerful spring allow the system to move "easier" when not wanted and lock the bolt back at the wrong time? Is there a balance here or will a less powerful spring = less reliable operation?

Just a thought. Feel free to flame about not wasting time making an extra part work, but to me that's sorta what this whole forum is about

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 02-01-11 at 16:35.