Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: AXTS AX556 lower

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I can't engrave a custom logo on the side of the receiver. I'm also [vainly] hoping this logic will keep me from buying this receiver until tax time.

-B
    That's the only downside for me as well. But I bought one anyway and am in the process of SBRing it (waiting for my Form 1 approval)
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm seriously considering these lowers...but have one concern I'm looking for input on.

For anyone who has been running these lowers...have you had any issues with knocking the left-side mag release hard enough to dump a live mag?

I like the idea of a left-side mag release...but I'm just concerned about dumping loaded mags since the lowers don't seem to have much of a protective "cage," so to speak, around the mag release...It just kinda sticks out there.

If the rifle is slung for a right-handed shooter, I'm imagining the left side of the receiver being pressed against the shooter's gear/torso while slung...which could put pressure on the mag-release under the rifles weight.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by MikeCLeonard; 12-27-11 at 00:14.

Feedback Score
    I have had no issues with this and have spent some time shooting as you describe. There is infact a raised fence protecting the release button.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCLeonard View Post
    I'm seriously considering these lowers...but have one concern I'm looking for input on.

For anyone who has been running these lowers...have you had any issues with knocking the left-side mag release hard enough to dump a live mag?

I like the idea of a left-side mag release...but I'm just concerned about dumping loaded mags since the lowers don't seem to have much of a protective "cage," so to speak, around the mag release...It just kinda sticks out there.

If the rifle is slung for a right-handed shooter, I'm imagining the left side of the receiver being pressed against the shooter's gear/torso while slung...which could put pressure on the mag-release under the rifles weight.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    I have had no issues with the left side mag release on mine yet. That being said, it is not as well protected as the right side mag release button and IMO there is more of a "potential" for an accidental mag drop to happen by bumping it. Its just my opinion but I would like to see them tweak the left side mag release lever finger pad ( make it thinner by approx .060" and maybe taper it down from front to rear). I would also prefer to have a little stronger mag release spring. I operate a CNC Makino mill for a living and appreciate excellent machine work and these billet lowers have it in spades.

Last edited by Biggy; 12-28-11 at 12:33.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    the AX556 left side mag release button is better protected than any of the other drop-in ambi mag releases, like the norgon, troy or KAC.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the input guys! That eases my mind a bit.

I guess I could shave down the left mag-release paddle a bit, if it ever became an issue. That wouldn't be too hard I don't think.

Feedback Score
    I Picked up my AX556 lower last week from my FFL and it's absolutely beautiful. Fit, finish and function are superb just as I thought it would be, from the past reviews I've read. As as far as matching it up with an upper goes, I currently have a Vltor MUR-1A on it, which looks fairly decent and is somewhat of a close match (as seen in other users pics that also use the MUR). In my opinion however, a purposely built AXTS upper, made to perfectly match their AX556, which incorporates a slightly larger cutout on the left side to accommodate the larger bolt release/catch paddle on the lower and with lines that mate up clean with the sleekness of the lower would be ideal and could only further compliment the looks and function of the AX556 IMHO.

I sent email to AXTS, inquiring about future plans of building a matching upper and Abe replied that they are hoping to come out with one possibly later this year. Got my fingers crossed...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCLeonard View Post

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
    I just spent two days at a Defoor Advanced Carbine class with this lower. I was moving the gun around, front to back, back to front, for the entire two days. Often it was "hot". I never once lost a magazine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I just spent two days at a Defoor Advanced Carbine class with this lower. I was moving the gun around, front to back, back to front, for the entire two days. Often it was "hot". I never once lost a magazine.
    Thanks for your input Rob! That's really good to hear.

I've seen you mention that you're running this lower with the A5 buffer system, among other things, and that you'll be putting out a review/article about them. I'm very much looking forward to reading all your thoughts and both the AX556 and A5 buffer system...as it's the exact setup I'm planning for a couple of builds!

Any eta on your writeup?

Feedback Score
    Anyone upgrading to a AX556 from the A-DAC-F? Im looking to buy an A-DAC-F but they seem to be sold out every where. Send me a message if your looking to sell your A-DAC-F.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021