Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: considering a SCAR 17... a few questions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    who knows there may be something they fixed between the SCARH and the civilian scar17. i really have no clue. all the testing i've seen that have had POI shift have been on military weapons.
    -Too many guns not enough time-
    2016 Rocking: Sig Sauer, Vortex Optics, GA Precision, MGM targets, MARS Armament, Inc., KMW Rifles, Mack Brothers, B&T Industries, Prime Ammo, Mile High Shooting Accessories, Gray Guns, Armageddon Gear, Rustick Knives, LLC.,Bartlein Barrels, CORE Shooting Solutions, Magpul.
    Contributing author on www.modernserviceweapons.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nomspc View Post
    Just got off the phone with The Gun Source in Green Bay, WI. They have FN SCAR 17 FDE mags at $35.99 per, the best price I've seen so far. Phone is 800-518-3808; item number is 504091. Link:
    http://www.thegunsource.com/item/504..._FDE.aspx?SR=1
    Called them up - they said they received 40, however, more than 40 magazines were backordered so the next shipment coming in is going to go straight to fill the backordered backorders......
    "Soldier, you need to turn your ACOG off before the batteries die." - PMI Instructor, subject matter expert

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

POI Shift

I went out today and shot several different kinds of ammo at 200m. Scope was a 1.5-5x Leupold MRT with the SPR reticle. Wind speed was variable about 5-15 mph from 10-11 o'clock, sunny, temp about 60 degF. Point of aim was center of a "25-yard repair center" target with a 5.5-inch diameter black. Measurements below are all center to center between the widest shots in the group.

Prvi 145gr FMJ: 2.1 inches (I lost count and shot 6-rounds)
    Australian surplus "F4 ball": 3.0 inches
    Handload using 155gr Sierra HPBT: 2.7 inches
    Black Hills 175gr HPBT: 1.5 inches

Point of impact was fairly consistent...

And here's my high-tech rifle rest.

I'm starting to like this thing.... Now if I can just quit reaching for the charging handle at the rear of the receiver, I may decide to keep her.
    Last edited by ashooter; 02-06-11 at 13:25.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Not trying to be an ass about it, but why are the groups consistently slightly to the right? Is it a matter of granularity of adjustment for the scope windage?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronFitz View Post
    Not trying to be an ass about it, but why are the groups consistently slightly to the right? Is it a matter of granularity of adjustment for the scope windage?

Thanks!
    I just swapped scopes and got a 50m zero, then moved straight to the 200m groups you see above. Fine-tuned and confirmed my 200m zero after shooting these groups.
    Last edited by ashooter; 02-06-11 at 16:26.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Gotcha

Feedback Score
    It has been exactly one year since the beginning of this thread. Will someone please answer these 3 questions (from the original OP) for 2012? Thanks!
    Last edited by Arkansas; 01-18-12 at 22:14.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    1) Barrels are supposed to be coming out this year. Many other small parts can be ordered from FN.

2) No one can predict the future.

3) It is the "interior" (the angled portion) that needs to be altered for SCAR use for most grips.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    1) Barrels are supposed to be coming out this year. Many other small parts can be ordered from FN.

2) No one can predict the future.

3) It is the "interior" (the angled portion) that needs to be altered for SCAR use for most grips.
    It's a lot easier to just file or mill about 1/16 off the face of the grip tang on the SCAR lower, then ALL M4 grips will fit. If this scares the hell out of you, consider that SCAR lowers are $40 and in stock at FN.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2. Widespread adoption: what's the latest on continued usage of the 17 by the military, if anybody knows? I'd rather not blow all that money on a rifle that ends up being a hobby gun with parts nowhere to be found if something breaks. I heard about SOCOM backing out on the 16, and I wouldn't be surprised if for some bureaucratic reason they did the same to the 17. (I have a fair amount of experience with government bureaucracy.)
    The 16 was not bought, the 17 is not well liked and doesn't see much use even though it was bought. The charging handle is a prime issue as, with the rifle slung, the bolt can be knocked out of battery when the charging handle gets caught on gear or bumped against something while climbing, crawling, and moving. It also limits alternative shooting positions when bad guys pop out of weird places.

The SCAR is a very expensive weapon for what it is and really offers no advantage over a good 5.56 carbine or .existing .308 rifle. However, it is another choice in the civilian market and American shooters have another toy to play with if you like it.
    Last edited by streck; 01-19-12 at 08:21.
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567