Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: considering a SCAR 17... a few questions

Feedback Score
    Geissele is saying March for the SCAR trigger. I'm looking forward to that.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    I'm Sturmgewehre from YouTube.

Yup, the 17S was shooting consistent 1" 100 yard groups that day with a 4x32 ACOG. Black Hills 175gr loads weren't showing any love though, they wouldn't do any better than 2.5". But FGMM was consistent and impressive.

I've ordered a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 today with a Larue 104 quick detach mount. I should get it mounted up next week sometime and do a review of the optic on the SCAR along with some more accuracy tests. I'm hoping with a more powerful optic I can whittle the group size down to 3/4" or so. If I can do that, I'll be quite pleased with the SCAR's performance. Heck, I'm pleased even with 1" at 100 yards.

If only it had a better trigger.

I think it can do a little better, but we'll see.
    Nice review.

My SCAR 17 shoots about the same. Using Elcan DR. No issues w/ POA / POI.
    It likes 168 & 175 so far.
    Looking forward to your results.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I'm Sturmgewehre from YouTube.

Yup, the 17S was shooting consistent 1" 100 yard groups that day with a 4x32 ACOG. Black Hills 175gr loads weren't showing any love though, they wouldn't do any better than 2.5". But FGMM was consistent and impressive.

I've ordered a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 today with a Larue 104 quick detach mount. I should get it mounted up next week sometime and do a review of the optic on the SCAR along with some more accuracy tests. I'm hoping with a more powerful optic I can whittle the group size down to 3/4" or so. If I can do that, I'll be quite pleased with the SCAR's performance. Heck, I'm pleased even with 1" at 100 yards.

If only it had a better trigger.

I think it can do a little better, but we'll see.
    That was a nice review, and didn't help me any to not want to buy it.

I'll be interested to see what optic you go with... all my 5.56 rifles have Aimpoint T-1s on them, but for a .308 I'd like to have some magnification. Still mulling over whether to get another aimpoint with the 3x magnifier, or something like a Trijicon TR-24. (Which may be a no go...I don't know if reticle is calibrated for 5.56 only or what the scoop is. I have a lot to learn about magnified optics.)

ETA: If I get one, I'll be putting a Geissele in there eventually. I hated the trigger on one I fondled. Spoiled by the SSA-E on my AR. Heck, even the G-2 on my AK is nicer.

Anyway, gun show coming up in two weekends. Maybe something will follow me home.
    Last edited by BaronFitz; 02-02-11 at 21:29. Reason: additional info

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoe View Post
    ...magpul does have a SCAR17 mag in the works.
    Now there's something I'd love to see!!

I've had my 17 for a month and haven't been able to score a single spare mag... unless I was willing to pay 80 bucks on gunbroker.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you seeing them POI shift with multiple rifles? Have you checked the torque on the barrel bolts (62 inch/lbs)? I haven't seen that yet, and I hope I don't.
    multiple rifles, vastly diferent serial numbers, and in completely seperate run testing.
    -Too many guns not enough time-
    2016 Rocking: Sig Sauer, Vortex Optics, GA Precision, MGM targets, MARS Armament, Inc., KMW Rifles, Mack Brothers, B&T Industries, Prime Ammo, Mile High Shooting Accessories, Gray Guns, Armageddon Gear, Rustick Knives, LLC.,Bartlein Barrels, CORE Shooting Solutions, Magpul.
    Contributing author on www.modernserviceweapons.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    SCAR H/17s has a 1/12 twist barrel, right? I'd always heard that 168gr was about the heaviest bullet you could expect to perform well out of 1/12 twist barrels.

I only have about 100 rds through my sample of one, but I shot it on paper with a Nightforce 1-4 with NP-1 reticle last weekend and got a 10-shot group at 200m that was just a hair over 3 inches. Not "sniper" quality, but damned respectable for Prvi 145gr FMJ. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm guessing these barrels might not like bullets heavier than 168gr.
    Last edited by ashooter; 02-03-11 at 19:30.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I saw some stuff today that is a game changer for those considering a SCAR 17. Their M4 style buttstock adaptor and modular rail system is pure and simple bad ass.

I was amazed at how light it was.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I saw some stuff today that is a game changer for those considering a SCAR 17. Their M4 style buttstock adaptor and modular rail system is pure and simple bad ass.

I was amazed at how light it was.
    Who's that; VLTOR?

Stephen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoe View Post
    multiple rifles, vastly diferent serial numbers, and in completely seperate run testing.
    Shifts using same bullet weight and lot? I've heard that the Heavy will eat up some optics due to the recoil impulse, but mine still holds a solid zero at 2K rounds (like someone else said; sample of one though).

Stephen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Their M4 style buttstock adaptor
    Oh no...

I guess I knew this was coming. But there's nothing uglier than M4'ing every rifle on the market (IMHO). I cringe when I see M4 accessories stuck on AKs. I'll probably have the same gag reflex when I see a SCAR wearing a M4 buttstock.
    Last edited by MilitaryArms; 02-04-11 at 09:43.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast