Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: considering a SCAR 17... a few questions

Feedback Score
    Ya my wife is 5'6" 120lbs and handles the SCAR just fine. Her SA58 with a type III receiver and aluminum lower was light for a FAL but still noticeably heavier than a SCAR. The recoil from that lightweight FAL pounded her pretty good. We use our rifles for hunting so for her to pack around weight matters.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Has Larue fixed that f***ed up top rail that requires a stock riser yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronFitz View Post

The OBR was previously eliminated because of the need for a riser on the stock...if I wanted that, I'd buy an M1A on an EBR chassis.
    Can you educate me, gents, what's wrong with OBR top rail and why stock riser is needed?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I have an OBR as my desktop wallpaper right now (Larue is about the only weapon maker that makes native 1080p wallpapers, and they put out a new one each month.... Here) and I can't figure out the reason for the riser...presumably the upper rail is too high, but I can't tell with the naked eye.

Feedback Score
    The lack of aftermarket mags is a slight sticking point...I think that probably will be determined by the answer to question 2.
    C-Products is starting to make SCAR-H magazines.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    My impressions with the SCAR 16 to this point have persuaded me that the SCAR 17 is something of a "must-buy" for me. That's not to say that the MWS and OBR aren't interesting models -- and their presence in the market is indeed a good thing -- but FNH has something special on their hands with the SCAR series.

AC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have an OBR as my desktop wallpaper right now (Larue is about the only weapon maker that makes native 1080p wallpapers, and they put out a new one each month.... Here) and I can't figure out the reason for the riser...presumably the upper rail is too high, but I can't tell with the naked eye.

Whatever little I know of OBR, I understand that riser is optional. I think initial offerings were with fixed stock, no riser, weren't they?

I guess my question is why it is a deal-breaker. In regards to scope/stock/rail, it doesn't seem to be any different that dozens of scoped SPRs, DMRs and Recces that we see on this sight and elsewhere.

Back to initial question: I have it from a reasonable source that TangoDown does have a SCAR-H polymer mag, but I don't know how extensively it's been tested, if it is production ready etc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Whatever little I know of OBR, I understand that riser is optional. I think initial offerings were with fixed stock, no riser, weren't they?

The "riser" is need with collapsible stocks because the upper rail has a 20 MOA built in slant, also the upper rail is full length. these two things combined with the unique hand guards cause the upper rail to be higher than most M-16 FOW. A non issue considering how accurate this weapon is. it is simply non comparable to a M-14 is EBR chassis.

Back to original poster question if you are looking for a all around battle rifle that is light weight, accurate, and not a bad price point get the SCAR 17. IMO the mag issue is non existent with the release of factory mags and after market ones.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
    C-Products is starting to make SCAR-H magazines.
    I wouldn't be less thrilled to hear this if you replaced "C-Products" with "TAPCO".
    Last edited by RAM Engineer; 01-22-11 at 12:51.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    So if someone were to shoot their 17 until the barrel was worn out ( a tall order) how would they go about replacing the barrel? Send it back to the factory?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'm not sure that we have the answer to this question just yet, but as you state, this would be a pretty tall order. Since we're not yet at the point at which factory barrels are readily available for purchase, I suppose sending the rifle back to FN would be the preferred solution, though I suspect we will have some other options on the table by the time you could realistically manage to shoot your barrel out.

We have to keep in mind that, notwithstanding the great promise of this system, widespread fielding is only beginning, so many of these parts-related inquiries are ever-so-slightly premature. As the industry takes note of the rifle's commercial success, you can wager that more and more reputable third-party manufacturers are going to take an interest in getting their share of the action, too.

We've seen at least three different rail extension options hit the market in the past year alone, and serious momentum for the SCAR family in private hands is still at what I would call a relatively early stage. (It took some time for prices to stabilize.) I've yet to hear if we're going to get a PMAG-caliber feeding device solution for the 17, but clearly, there is money to be made for anyone with the vision and drive to support this particular system. It is simply too promising to ignore, and with the prospect of new SOCOM fielding, the financial incentive is already there.

AC

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast