Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: considering a SCAR 17... a few questions

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    That OBR looks nice. More or less than LMT MWS?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Has Larue fixed that f***ed up top rail that requires a stock riser yet?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1GIG View Post
    That OBR looks nice. More or less than LMT MWS?
    No idea, it was just shown at SHOT.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Has Larue fixed that f***ed up top rail that requires a stock riser yet?
    Yep, the new PredatAR Series OBRs have a 0 MOA top rail and a roughly 14" handguard. No stock riser needed... Note that there is no longer a continuous top rail bridging the upper receiver and the handguard.

And the 7.62 version weighs in at around 8lbs empty (16" lightweight barrel). That is quite a feat:

Last edited by caporider; 01-19-11 at 15:56.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    I was going to ask the weight but didn't want to sound like a pansy...thanks.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    That new OBR may give me pause in my decision-making...I was going to wait and see what shakes out of SHOT anyway before taking a plunge.

The OBR was previously eliminated because of the need for a riser on the stock...if I wanted that, I'd buy an M1A on an EBR chassis.

The MWS was too heavy for my personal taste...after having a heavy barrel AR for a few years and wishing it was lighter whenever I did up drills, I have no desire to have something even heavier. Right now my AK is filling the niche of nose heavy rifle just fine and I don't need another.

Anybody know the answer to my original questions?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    Yep, the new PredatAR Series OBRs have a 0 MOA top rail and a roughly 14" handguard. No stock riser needed... Note that there is no longer a continuous top rail bridging the upper receiver and the handguard.

And the 7.62 version weighs in at around 8lbs empty (16" lightweight barrel). That is quite a feat:

YES!!!! Someone is finally listening to the market!!!

Way to go Mr. Larue!!!!!

Thanks for posting this!!

Feedback Score
    I've had a SCAR 17 for a few months now, and have ditched all my other .308 semiautos. I've had AR10's, SR25's, HK 91, FN FAL and various versions of the M1A. Despite the 17 being the lightest and handiest of the bunch, it has the softest recoil impulse of any .308 battle rifle I've ever fired, regardless of weight. I've never had an issue with reciprocating charging handles on semi-autos, so the SCAR' s reciprocator doesn't bother me. I will say that it is necessary with certain optics mounts to reverse them for use with this rifle due to the charging handle. I have used both the Nightforce NXS 1-4X variable and Aimpoint T-1 optics on Larue mounts, and have reversed both these mounts to avoid interference between their QD levers and my thumb while charging the rifle. The stock design, while kind of funny looking, is quite comfortable with excellent ergonomics. I replaced the PWS muzzle brake with the BattleComp offering, and the rifle barely moves compared with other .308's. I thought the issue sights were kind of tall and did not like the ring on the front sight, so I replaced them with Troy micro sights. I also replaced the pistol grip with a Magpul MIAD grip (the MOE will not fit without modification). The rifle came out of the box with a very good trigger. I'm using a VTAC sling with HK-style hooks, and have removed both the left and right accessory rails, which makes the forestock thinner. I have somewhat more than 500 rounds of NATO ball and a small amount of Hornady 155 AMAX through this rifle without any malfunctions. FN magazines are just starting to trickle into the supply chain. C- Products is manufacturing 25-rounders at $41.95 a pop; got an order of 5 of them today. They are obviously longer than the FN 20-rounders, but appear to stick out of the rifle no further than a 30 round mag sticks out of an AR. This is a great rifle. I hope the military buys a lot of them.

Feedback Score
    I too purchased a SCAR 17 a few months back and have forsaken all others. This rifle is the lightest battle rifle on the market and I would not be too scared to say has the lowest recoil of any comparable rifle.I shoot surplus M80 ball ammo and groups are in the 2.0" range at 100yds. I feel with quality ammo and a good rest this could be dramatically reduced. Maqs are high, parts are scarce however this will change in time. Most people that slam the SCAR have probably never fired one. I like it so much I bought my wife a SCAR 17 for our 5th anniversary.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Now that's a good husband...and a great wife for wanting one.

My wife does have an M&P 9...maybe one day she'll be up for a long gun. The SCAR is actually light enough for her to use I think.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast