Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: considering a SCAR 17... a few questions

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

considering a SCAR 17... a few questions

I've been seriously considering picking up a modern .308 lately. After lurking and searching here and elsewhere for my research, I narrowed it down to the LMT MWS and the SCAR 17. Having handled both (unfortunately not shot either), I'm leaning more toward the SCAR, mainly because of the lighter weight. The MWS was a beast in comparison, and seemed to me to be better suited for shooting from a bi-pod or supported position. I hate the stock SCAR trigger, but I hear that there's a SCAR SSA in the works.

That said, there are a few remaining questions I have about the SCAR that I haven't been able to get a good read on from looking around here.

1. Spare parts availability: I keep hearing about lack of barrel options because of the ban on importation of barrels for civilian use. Does this mean that you're SOL when/if you wear the barrel out? Presumably the barrel it comes with has to come from somewhere. Is all the hay being made solely over SBR lengths? I doubt that I would wear out a chromed, presumably CHF barrel on a .308 unless someone leaves me a ton of money with the stipulation that it only be used for ammo, but I like to consider supportability.

2. Widespread adoption: what's the latest on continued usage of the 17 by the military, if anybody knows? I'd rather not blow all that money on a rifle that ends up being a hobby gun with parts nowhere to be found if something breaks. I heard about SOCOM backing out on the 16, and I wouldn't be surprised if for some bureaucratic reason they did the same to the 17. (I have a fair amount of experience with government bureaucracy.)

3. How do most folks change the grip out? Apparently the grip tang is too long for a Magpul MIAD or MOE, although the TD BG17 apparently works without modification. Do most reduce the tang or the inside of the grip? I'm not a fan of the A2 grip on there...it's too skinny.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    I will be looking forward to the reply's on this post. I have been thinking about a SCAR 17 as well. Had a 16 and went another route.
    I am waiting to see about other mag options.....

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    The lack of aftermarket mags is a slight sticking point...I think that probably will be determined by the answer to question 2.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The lack of aftermarket mags is a slight sticking point...
    Fella had one this w/e @ the funshow in Raleigh, short mag tagged @ $75.00.

Keith

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    When we talk about mags as being disposable, that makes it hard to swallow. Let alone build up a reserve.

Any info on new mags/scar products from Shot Show?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    easy day plenty of mags for sale on GunBroker

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The new lightweight LaRue OBR at SHOT should make you slow down your decision making process.

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    I see some for sale on Gunbroker....$79.00 each. Thats my point. Cost prohibitive. Id like to see a 15-25 dollar pmag-scar17.

Feedback Score
    Consider the LMT MWS over the SCAR

With the SCAR you have to deal with the funky mag situation and no spare part. Both should give anyone serious cause for pause.

The LMT is also a military grade weapon

Last edited by variablebinary; 01-19-11 at 14:22.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Light weight OBR.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast