Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Good 380 B.U.G. ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We shot the Bersa 380 and it was pretty accurate from the 7 yard line. COM and head shots were easy. It did jam but it was a new gun. I would carry it after a couple of hundred rounds of 380 through it for reliability.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have handled (but not shot) the Kimber Solo myself. My dealer got one in on Friday. Their price was $650ish IIRC. It was very interesting but I'm not a Kimber guy, esp for a $650 BUG.

The front and rear straps are both slick as ICE with no checkering. They would immediately require skateboard tape. The slide and frame are very de-horned (which is good) but the slide is also really slick. I can believe I'm saying this but it could prob use some FCS on it just to give you some traction.

I like the sights but NS will of course be an improvement. The trigger has an adequate feel. I suspect the weight will help manage recoil quite nicely. I could be wrong but the thumb safety looked like plastic and was an awkward looking/feeling design IMO. I really don't like that control. Engineering could have done a better job there.

I have every intention of getting a LC9 to try out but the S&W offerings will be interesting as well. I will be curious to see the specs and retail price.

Last edited by VolGrad; 01-16-11 at 07:38.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have an LCP that really works well for when I can't carry anything bigger like when I'm wearing gym shorts. I've put approximately 400 rounds through it without a malfunction and I find it to be reasonably accurate.
    The only real problem I had is after carrying it for a while IWB, with the frame mounted clip, the slide started to rust a little where it made contact with my skin. I don't really fault Ruger for this as I probably should have been better about wiping it down after carrying it. To head off future problems of this nature I had it NP3'd. The only other modification I want for it is a crimson trace laser.
    I think it's a great little back up gun and I know a few guys at work who carry one with no complaints. All that being said, I still like my S&W 442 better which I carry as my BUG in a renegade ankle holster.

ETA: If you are thinking about getting it NP3'd I would reconsider as it makes the slide a little too slick for my tastes.

Last edited by 25Chuck; 01-16-11 at 13:26.

Feedback Score
    The Kimber SOLO looks nice, however, I'll let somebody else be the guinea pigs on that experiment, due to Kimber's track record.

I'd feel pretty well armed with a S&W bodyguard.

However, I'd much rather have a 9x19mm model than a .380 ACP.

I'm sure a .32 ACP gun wouldn't be any less lethal. (Though I'm pretty ignorant on that one.)

Out of all those - a Bulgarian, or German Makarov would be my choice. Or a Walther PPS.

9x18mm > .380 ACP.
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 01-17-11 at 13:23.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Well I put 200 rounds through the Kimber SOLO today.

50 rounds Prvi 158gr FMJ
    50 rounds Speer Lawman 115 FMJ
    50 rounds 124gr Montana Gold reloads
    50 rounds of PMC 115 FMJ

Early on it had 4 stoppages for me. These were failure to ejects with the brass 1/2 way out of the chamber. The pistol was pretty dry and it did this on the 124gr Montana Gold reloads. I took the pistol apart and lube in generously with Weaponshield and then didn't experience and more stoppages.
    My co-workers Friday night put 220 rounds through it with no stoppages. They also shot mostly hollow points.

The pistol feels a lot like shooting a Kahr PM9 for recoil. It's very accurate but really needs stippling or checkering on the front and back strap as it slides around a lot in the hand during recoil. I also dislike the ambi mag catch, like a Springfield XD it sort of rotates and is hard to remove the mag.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Did the plastic safety a problem?

Would you recommend it to somebody as a carry gun?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Did the plastic safety a problem?

Would you recommend it to somebody as a carry gun?
    Safety caused no issues. I actually like the safety on this gun it positively goes on and off with a solid click either way. For someone wanting a small 9mm I would say yes check it out. They're supposed to make a stainless frame version too personally I'd probably prefer that one.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25Chuck View Post
    I have an LCP that really works well for when I can't carry anything bigger like when I'm wearing gym shorts. I've put approximately 400 rounds through it without a malfunction and I find it to be reasonably accurate.
    The only real problem I had is after carrying it for a while IWB, with the frame mounted clip, the slide started to rust a little where it made contact with my skin. I don't really fault Ruger for this as I probably should have been better about wiping it down after carrying it. To head off future problems of this nature I had it NP3'd. The only other modification I want for it is a crimson trace laser.
    I think it's a great little back up gun and I know a few guys at work who carry one with no complaints. All that being said, I still like my S&W 442 better which I carry as my BUG in a renegade ankle holster.

ETA: If you are thinking about getting it NP3'd I would reconsider as it makes the slide a little too slick for my tastes.

Chuck if you dont mind what did you put into that

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    awm14hp,
    I paid about $240 for the gun itself. Robar was running a sale on their "Norton Special" package when I dropped it off so I believe I paid about $200 for the work done but I'm sure I could dig up the receipt and find the exact price if you are interested.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556mp View Post
    I hope mine works
    Suppose I'll have to track its progress.
    I'd say LCP then OP!
    My Diamondback has been flawless through 250 rounds. They seem to have fixed the majority of their issues. It is easy to shoot and accurate, moreso than any other little gun I have tried..
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast