Thread: So you want to go to a Training Course for the first time?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Awesome thread. True words have never been spoken. This should have been put together years ago. This info is LUBE for your training.

To add: Bring functional gear (No Ninja shit), less is more (Streamline your gear) and Loctite everything. Bring spare parts for your BCG. A spare BCG is better. A spare weapon is mo better. Lube...you can never have or apply enough of it. Check your BCG after every relay. If it's not wet, lube it. I bring an ammo can full of preloaded mags so I can listen and learn more, take notes, snack, hydrate, take pictures and chat with other shooters, instead of jamming mags at every break.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 12-21-10 at 16:21.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm surprised someone hasn't/hadn't done one of these yet, it's why I asked the question in the "rant" thread.

I'm glad someone who explains things very well decided to do this, thank you sir.

VMI-MO Guest
    less is more (Streamline your gear) .
    So true. Do the jump and run test also. If you can jump up and down 10x, run 100m and touch your toes with out your shit spilling everywhere then you are on your way to being good to go.

and Loctite everything. .
    It is funny when other people dont do it. Its the sign of a non-professional when you dont do it.

Bring spare parts for your BCG. A spare BCG is better. A spare weapon is mo better. .
    Soo true, but also make sure your backup weapons are zeroed

Lube...you can never have or apply enough of it. Check your BCG after every relay. If it's not wet, lube it. .
    Make sure its in the right places.

I bring an ammo can full of preloaded mags so I can listen and learn more, take notes, snack, hydrate, take pictures and chat with other shooters, instead of jamming mags at every break.
    Paul Howe has said he can tell who the serious students are by who brings note taking gear. This is somehting I took to heart and numerous Rite in the Rain pads filled with notes from training.

PJ

Feedback Score
    Thanks, for sharing. Great info. A sticky would be nice also.
    What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    As always, a valuable read. Thanks very much for creating this.

Feedback Score
    The night before class or in case of multi day classes.

• Get a good nights rest
    • No alcohol
    • Eat sensibly
    • Hydrate

No reason to go out and party just because you are out of town.
    This advice was given to us by our instructor on day one of my first class. It made a lot of sense.
    HD

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    #12 is great, and I would add "BE a friend." Of all the classes I have attended (which haven't been THAT many), I remember my first the most. The guy beside me was a few days back from Iraq, and as he talked, I just listened. I think it was cathartic to him, and I learned a metric crapload from him as well. I have made friends from a lot of classes.

Great thread. Thanks.
    Last edited by chuckman; 12-21-10 at 18:19.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Bring some eye drops if you're prone to dry eye. Not Visine. Something like Refresh/Refresh Contacts or Systane Ultra should be very helpful.

Also bring some chapstick, ibuprofen/tylenol, and some 3M medical tape in case your hands get rubbed raw/blistered.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I actually have a question:

My first class will be in Feb. and I was one who jumped on the bandwagon and purchased a 14.5 Mid. with a PWS Comp pinned on it. I have heard that some instructors are against comps, and fellow shooters will be pissed to be next to you. Is it best practice to not use a rifle fitted with one?

Merry Christmas and great post F2S.
    Last edited by sadmin; 12-21-10 at 20:48.
    Matthew 10:28