Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So you want to go to a Training Course for the first time?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I resisted the urge to jump on the Battlecomp/PWS Brake/Surefire Brake bandwagon until I've become semi-competent with my weapon with the standard A2 FH. It'll probably be years before I feel "competent enough".

There was a guy shooting with the Surefire brake on a 10.5 SBR at a class I was at recently. The concussion was pretty obnoxious.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've been enjoying these training "discussions" and believe I actually have something to add and I'm hoping it's pertinent and not a complete statement of the obvious.

I haven't had much for firearms classes except for attending St. Paul PDs Street Safe back in 2005 but I have attended others such as Pursuit Driving every three years per POST requirements as well as twice yearly firearms qualifications also per POST requirements and one thing I can say from the law enforcement side is dress for the occasion.

For these types of classes I always wear my full uniform minus badges, pens, radio, etc. to avoid damage but all the leather gear is present as is my body armor. I don't sit in a car the same or shoot the same when I'm not wearing this equipment so I feel it a disservice to myself to practice without it given how infrequently we get to practice during these sessions. This is obviously a theme that some have hit on previously so I'm not stating anything revolutionary I'm just sayin'.

I've been a minority at these classes because of this but when one instructor, at a class 40 miles away from my village, asked me if I was on-duty I stated, "No, but I don't go to the dance without my dress and heels." I believe I can say that in every instance the instructors made some comment questioning my choice of clothing and in some cases I believe that choice indicated to them that I was serious about being in the class.

Since 2007 when I became Chief I've requested that all the patrolmen from our Mayberry department (4 including myself) wear their uniforms to qualifications and Use of Force training. The first year our instructors, deputies from our sheriff's department, asked me about it because usually other officers/deputies wear sweats and tennis shoes. I told them that they should practice in that which they'd most likely be wearing when implementing what is taught plus if they wreck their clothes it might as well be company issued for ease of replacement. They voiced their appreciation of us doing this after I answered their question too.
    Last edited by Scotter260; 12-22-10 at 00:23.

Feedback Score
    Great thread here and thanks for imparting!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would offer slightly different advice.

If you are just starting out and planning on attending a class where you're expected to show up with a dead-nuts zeroed rifle, 30 loaded magazines, ability to carry 5+ of said magazines on your person, and needing lots of gear, you're probably at the wrong class.

Before you enroll in a run-around-throw-yourself-on-the-ground-jump-down-turnaround-pickabaleofcotton type class, get yourself into a fundamentals class. It doesn't have to be a 3-day sleepaway class, but it wouldn't hurt. Barring that you can find a local clinic, training day, whatever.

If, however, you find yourself a good three-day sleepaway class that not only stresses the fundamentals and has a high accuracy standard but also comes with an instructor that knows how to get you to a point where you can meet that standard, there are things to be learned through the zeroing process and other things that were poopood in the other thead. and a class like this will have very low gear requirements so that you don't have to jock all up to take the class.

A good fundamentals class will only require:
    • a functioning, quality rifle, even with only iron sights and no light, but you'll need a sling. a spare BCG wouldn't hurt
    • three magazines. you'll have time to stuff them
    • one, maybe two, rifle magazine pouches
    • probably a pistol, your carry gun will do
    • a holster, your carry holster will do
    • a single magazine pouch, your carry pouch will do

It would be beneficial if you can get a few hundred rounds through the carbine before the class to ensure that it functions, and if you buy a quality carbine to begin with and get a couple hundred rounds through it chances are good that it will have zero issues, as any problems would likely reveal themselves early on. If you buy a questionable carbine there is no telling when it might fail.

I think F2S has done a pretty good job of trying not to overwhelm prospective students. I know that when I took my first carbine course I was concerned that I wouldn't have everything I needed, that I'd forget some crucial element and wind up "that guy", etc. The truth of the matter is that if you are worried about that it's a good thing, and it means your head is in the right place with regards to preparing for the class, and your likelihood of being that guy is greatly reduced. The problem children are the assholes that don't think they could possibly be wrong, that think they're totally prepared for the class, and that you can't tell anything to. They show up with too much, ****ed up, gear and refuse to listen. There are always two "that guys" in most classes. One is the guy that's just having a bad day but is otherwise a competent shooter. The other is the guy that nobody talks about, or to, that just doesn't get it, and wouldn't get it if you put it in a sock full of quarters and smacked him in the face with it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input... Awesome thread..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good thread.

I'll reiterate, note taking. It's possibly one of the most underutilized actions that can be done. The dude is talking to you, you need to listen. You also need to remember what he said. It might not make sense now but after a few weeks while you're practicing and you review those notes, shit starts clicking. You understand better what he was trying to tell you while you were ****ing up in class..

Bottom line, take lots of notes. It might not make sense now but you never know when it might be important.

Also, cash. Bring at least $20 per day. This will allow you to cover lunch and any range fees not included in the course cost. Nothing sucks more than to have to eat cold, crunchy, freeze dried food out of your BOB, because you forgot to bring money for lunch. Been there, sucks alot.

Mike
    Last edited by Mikey; 12-22-10 at 09:41.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Something to add...

If you are going to a course for the first time, your first course period or your first course with a given instructor, whatever, ask others who have been in that course their opinions and solicit feedback. This has helped. Something else I have done to figure out which dang class to take out of the many out there, is ask as well. I wanted to take two classes offered through Grey Group...two different instructors, two somewhat similar classes. I told Paul what my experience was and what I was looking for and through a little bit of email dialogue, pointed me to the class which best suited my needs. You can never go wrong with an abundance of S2.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    All of this is great info. Especially loading up extra mags. The night before my first class, which wasn't too long ago, I loaded up enough mags to cover the required amount of rounds. Only 500 rds. When i signed up for the class I made it a point to buy 2-3 mags whenever I could before hand. I have 20 mags now and having enough loaded mags ahead of time sure made things alot easier. During breaks when everyone else was loading mags I was able to hydrate of go over my notes from the last session completed.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    F2S,
    Outstanding post. Tons of excellent info.

Gonna pass this on to some friends that are thinking about signing up for their first training class.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Which type of training course would any of you gentlemen recommend for someone who's only formal training is from yearly weapons qualification?(Marine Corps, Table 1, 2 and 3)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast