Page 58 of 256 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Watches

Feedback Score
    The Seiko skx007 *is* a great bargain watch. Another is the Seiko Sumo. Seiya Japan is reputed to be a good source. The Sumo is probably the most watch for the money on the planet right now. IMO, natch.

Feedback Score
    Of course, you can skip the Omega and go for one of these- the Bremont MBII:

I love this watch. Absolutely kickass hard use tool watch, IMO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had a Seiko Kinetic Sports 200 for 15 years and it is the toughest watch I've had. The Sapphire crystal takes a licking but no scratches. I'm on my third stainless band, mainly from abuse. But the watch is accurate and tough as nails.

This was one of the earliest Kinetics and they had a problem with the capacitor wearing out after about 5 years. Then they switched to a battery instead of the capacitor. I read online about doing this before Seiko made the upgrade. Very easy to do and cheap. Now the watch will last over 15 days or more on a full self-wind (piezoelectric charging) instead of the seven originally. New watches already have this so are even better.

I still have a 1980s G-Shock 200M that works and a Timex Ironman, both of which have all the labels worn off and the lens scratched to hell. But the mechanism have endured construction work, pouring concrete, hiking, bushwhacking, swimming, water skiing, and every other abuse I can heap on them. Since I can't read the displays very well I am thinking of getting another $50 work watch.

My Seiko is nice enough to wear when I was consulting and now at the office or nights out, yet tough enough to not notice if I forget to take it off when I swim, chop firewood, etc.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjmcd View Post
    Of course, you can skip the Omega and go for one of these- the Bremont MBII:
    I love this watch. Absolutely kickass hard use tool watch, IMO.
    Ditto. That's what I'd get for my next watch. Even considered (for a few minutes then decided against it!) trading the JLC for one. $$$ short right now, but that's on the short list for me.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 09-17-11 at 11:16.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Ditto. That's what I'd get for my next watch. Even considered (for a few minutes then decided against it!) trading the JLC for one. $$$ short right now, but that's on the short list for me.
    I love Bremont but you made the right decision!

OTOH, if Bremont made the MBII with a GMT complication, then all bets are off!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjmcd View Post
    I love Bremont but you made the right decision!

OTOH, if Bremont made the MBII with a GMT complication, then all bets are off!
    Trading in the JLC would get me the MBII and a wad O cash, which I could use right now, but that JLC is a whole other level of watch, and I might cry if I let it go.

The MBII, especially when compared to others for the $$$, is the sh%$.

Me want.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 09-18-11 at 10:56.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm still leaning towards the Marathon TSAR or GSAR.

The only difference between the two seems to be the movement. The TSAR being Quartz and the GSAR being an Automatic. Are their any other differences?

Also never really having owned an automatic before I appreciate the intricacy of the design and construction but is there an appreciable benefit to an automatic over a battery powered quartz? I'm trying to justify the $225 additional dollars.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    The movement of the second hand on the auto is smooth.

If anything the quartz is more rugged/shock resistant. Are you in the military or LE? The discount is Huge.

Get the auto.

Last edited by usmcvet; 09-18-11 at 16:38.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    The movement of the second hand on the auto is smooth.

If anything the quartz is more rugged/shock resistant. Are you in the military or LE? The discount is Huge.

Get the auto.

Not anymore, but maybe I could get a buddy to order it for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RD62 View Post
    I'm still leaning towards the Marathon TSAR or GSAR.

The only difference between the two seems to be the movement. The TSAR being Quartz and the GSAR being an Automatic. Are their any other differences?

Also never really having owned an automatic before I appreciate the intricacy of the design and construction but is there an appreciable benefit to an automatic over a battery powered quartz? I'm trying to justify the $225 additional dollars.

Thanks!
    One thing to consider is this: I have only seen a few quartz watches that soldier on for 20 or 30 years. Some do, to be sure, but many do not. A decent mechanical watch will last a long time.

Page 58 of 256 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast