Page 159 of 256 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 2556

Thread: Watches

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    What's the allure of Lum Tec watches?
    It's a crackerjack watch for cornballers.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    What's the allure of Lum Tec watches? Seems like an overpriced basic Miyota movement equipped brand that feeds off gun magazine advertisements towards those who want tactical watches that ST6 wears (notional).
    ...and what exactly would you like out of a watch?

Everyone is different and everyone has different tastes. There is some guy wearing a $15000 quartz watch that has gold and diamonds on it that thinks people who wear mechanical watches are idiots. Is he wrong?

For me, Lumtec has a lot check marks other companies simply don't even remotely have. US based meaning they employ US citizens and pay US taxes, listens to the customers for designs, styles, etc, have an actual person who will answer questions for you rather than pass the buck like many other companies, assembled in the US, looks fantastic and in my opinion very underpriced.

Feedback Score
    I have a Maratac Mid Pilot Mechanical. It's a decent watch, seems to work well. If I set it down a few days I have to wind it again but it keeps time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I have a Maratac Mid Pilot Mechanical. It's a decent watch, seems to work well. If I set it down a few days I have to wind it again but it keeps time.
    This is a "pics or it didn't happen thread".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    This is a "pics or it didn't happen thread".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is how you post a picture.

Anyway here it is and I think it winds itself somehow while wearing it.

Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-17-16 at 11:30.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Not sure if serious, but....

Add a weight - called a rotor - that spins around the inside of the case and moves as you move your arm, thereby winding the watch.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Not sure if serious, but....

Add a weight - called a rotor - that spins around the inside of the case and moves as you move your arm, thereby winding the watch.

I never really took it apart so, good to know.

7n6

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Exactly. These are called "automatic movements". Most of my watches have automatic, mechanical movements. I have a few you have to wind daily, or every two days. I have a display back watch that shows the rotor spinning when you move the watch back, and forth, and some of the other gears moving, spinning, etc. They really are little mechanical marvels.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a friend who has been in the watch repair business for 40 + years. He claims that expensive quartz watches have the same movement as the cheaper ones. He also says that fewer and fewer repair persons can work on mechanical movements. He claims to be a watchmaker and not a newly minted technician. I'm reluctant to spend very much money on a watch so I buy cheap ones. He pointed out that cell phones have caused watch sales and repair to decrease.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    I have a friend who has been in the watch repair business for 40 + years. He claims that expensive quartz watches have the same movement as the cheaper ones.
    I'd expect that's mostly correct. Not sure who the mass producer(s) of quartz movements are these days. Many fairly expensive mechanical watches are also using the same or very similar movements from just a few manufacturers. The movement, albeit important, is but one aspect of the watch and what it can do, or not do. What makes one AR so different from another?

Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    He also says that fewer and fewer repair persons can work on mechanical movements. He claims to be a watchmaker and not a newly minted technician. I'm reluctant to spend very much money on a watch so I buy cheap ones. He pointed out that cell phones have caused watch sales and repair to decrease.
    20 years ago he'd be 100% correct. As mechanical watches have made a huge resurgence, I'm not sure he's correct now however. If all you care about is telling time, use phone or get a Timex and be done with it.

I have yet to meet a legit watchmaker in person...has he shown you any watches he actually made?

If so, please take some pics. I'd love to see some watches hand built by a legit watchmaker which are rare.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 12-18-16 at 17:22.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 159 of 256 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209 ... LastLast