Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on the Sig Sauer P250

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    This is one of the few pistols I purchased without doing any research on. I picked it up and held it and it just felt right in my hand. I have the 9MM compact and it fits perfectly in my hand. I am a Glock man and will always be. I know Sig has gone downhill lately but I like this pistol. I fired 50 rounds out of it when I brought it home and the recoil was light enough for my 8 year old to shoot and it ran very smoothly. I only found one post in the search function and if anyone has any experience with it, good or bad, please chime in.
    When I attended my last Sig LE Armorer's class, the Sig FACTORY Armorer Instructor was discussing which models we would be working with. He held up a P250 and asked "Anyone's agency issue this one?" No one responded. He then said "Good. Then we won't bother with this piece of shit" as he put it back in the box. He added "Makes me embarrassed for the company working on those".

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If I received one for free and couldn't sell it, I'd separate the frame and slide and use one for a garage door stop and the other for a paper weight. I'm not kidding.

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FVC3 View Post
    When I attended my last Sig LE Armorer's class, the Sig FACTORY Armorer Instructor was discussing which models we would be working with. He held up a P250 and asked "Anyone's agency issue this one?" No one responded. He then said "Good. Then we won't bother with this piece of shit" as he put it back in the box. He added "Makes me embarrassed for the company working on those".
    Hehe, just curious which instructor that was. Some of them are pretty honest about Sigs, and some are full of propaganda to promote the company.

In regard to the P250, I would sell it off. As others have stated, the P250 has earned a reputation for being problematic in law enforcement circles. I certainly wouldn't trust it for anything other than a range gun. As far as other Sigs go, every single new Sig design since the company changed leadership in 2005 has been full of bugs and problems. Old Sigs that are marked as "Made in W. Germany" or under the old company "Sigarms" are quality guns made with the best materials. Basically anything made before 2005 should be on par with H&K quality.

If you want a new gun, I'd go with H&K, Glock, or S&W M&P. Personally though, I rank H&K as #1 and S&W as #2 though based on their ability to achieve excellence in all their models and calibers.
    Last edited by Entropy; 11-27-10 at 11:33.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    I don't own a P250. I did put about 50 rds through a rental 9mm Compact early version about a year ago when my wife and I were searching for a double stack 9mm that would fit her very small hands. My strongest impression was that it had a lot of muzzle flip compared to the 9mm Glocks that I shoot most often. I also had several instances of the slide locking back prematurely but that may have been caused by my weak hand thumb hitting the slide stop lever inadvertently.

I believe that barring some major action on SIG's part, the 250 is probably finished as an agency purchased LEO gun. Unfavorable testing results (eg BATF) have probably seen to that.

As a gun to be purchased and used by an individual for hard use, I think the jury is still out.

Many folks dislike it because of the long reset of its revolver-like trigger. Others will not find that objectionable.

Some folks are still experiencing feed cycle issues in recently-manufactured guns even with factory FMJ ammo. Some folks are experiencing light strike problems apparently caused by issues with the life of some springs in the fire control unit (FCU) in older 250s. At least these two issues seem to pop up fairly often in posts at the SIG forum and the p250 forum.

If a person wants a gun with the expectation of best out of the box reliability, then IMO the 250 isn't the right choice. For someone who strongly favors the 250's trigger, ergonomics, etc, then maybe it's worth making the investment in time and other resources to get the gun running right. That's an individual decision.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Alas, trying to make the gun into something it is is akin to teaching a pig to drive a car. You're wasting your time, and pissing yourself off in the process.

Time/money/effort are better spent on a proven and reliable handgun platform, and the P250 is best relegated to the "WTF were we thinking" chapter of SIG's history.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    I don't own a P250. I did put about 50 rds through a rental 9mm Compact early version about a year ago when my wife and I were searching for a double stack 9mm that would fit her very small hands. My strongest impression was that it had a lot of muzzle flip compared to the 9mm Glocks that I shoot most often. I also had several instances of the slide locking back prematurely but that may have been caused by my weak hand thumb hitting the slide stop lever inadvertently.

I believe that barring some major action on SIG's part, the 250 is probably finished as an agency purchased LEO gun. Unfavorable testing results (eg BATF) have probably seen to that.

As a gun to be purchased and used by an individual for hard use, I think the jury is still out.

Many folks dislike it because of the long reset of its revolver-like trigger. Others will not find that objectionable.

Some folks are still experiencing feed cycle issues in recently-manufactured guns even with factory FMJ ammo. Some folks are experiencing light strike problems apparently caused by issues with the life of some springs in the fire control unit (FCU) in older 250s. At least these two issues seem to pop up fairly often in posts at the SIG forum and the p250 forum.

If a person wants a gun with the expectation of best out of the box reliability, then IMO the 250 isn't the right choice. For someone who strongly favors the 250's trigger, ergonomics, etc, then maybe it's worth making the investment in time and other resources to get the gun running right. That's an individual decision.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I will bring this pistol to all of my shooting sessions and shoot it as much as I can. I have many better pistols that I am more enthusiastic about and deserve to be run hard. I will shoot the P250 and report any malfunctions encountered with it. I may even forget to clean it for about 1000 rounds or failure, whichever comes first. I speak about Taurus and the XD platforms like most of the posts on this thread but for some reason I am attracted to the fit and feel of this pistol and I'll form my own opinion on it and report it to the forum. Hey, at least it's not a Judge I'm speaking so highly about.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I will bring this pistol to all of my shooting sessions and shoot it as much as I can. I have many better pistols that I am more enthusiastic about and deserve to be run hard. I will shoot the P250 and report any malfunctions encountered with it. I may even forget to clean it for about 1000 rounds or failure, whichever comes first. I speak about Taurus and the XD platforms like most of the posts on this thread but for some reason I am attracted to the fit and feel of this pistol and I'll form my own opinion on it and report it to the forum. Hey, at least it's not a Judge I'm speaking so highly about.
    That's how I feel! Everyone should have a for fun gun. One that feels good in your hand. Just carry your Glock when you take it to the range. For the price you acquired it at, I would put it in my used gun safe instead of the used gun case in town. Plus, you never know, it may turn out to be a good one.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a P250 compact in both 9mm and .40S&W. To date, I have fired 3575 rounds through this gun, approximately 600 of those in a 3-day USTC pistol/carbine class. With the .40S&W conversion I've experienced 1 Failure to Feed with Winchester whitebox 165gr FMJ (the second round I'd fired from that conversion), and 5 failures to feed with Hornady TAP FPD 180gr JHP. I haven't had any other failures with assorted Federal, Remington, Winchester, Fiocchi and Blazer ammunition.

I certainly don't have the resources of the ATF or any government agency to do statistical tests, and my sample size is one, but so far I've had a pretty good experience with it.

Having said all of that, I probably wouldn't buy a P250 again. At this point they are worth more to me as training guns than they would fetch in resale, I suspect.

Feedback Score

P250

Had to have one when they came out. Took it to a class and learned malfunction drills all week. Sent it back for light primer hits. Got it back after being told they were not having issues with the P250.
    First mag through it had two light primer hits so it needed to belong to someone else.
    I think that to get the 6.5 pound trigger pull the hammer spring had to be to light. I feel a 7.5 pound pull would have ended the bad hits.

Feedback Score
    I had a P250 shortly after they came out - "Compact" 9mm version. I carried and trained hard with it for over a year. It was completely reliable and noticeably more accurate than my issued G19, and the ergonomics with the "small" grip installed were exceptional.

However, after probably 15,000 rounds through it in a variety of training venues, I found myself consistently "short stroking" the trigger due to it's RIDICULOUSLY long reset. I think this was complicated by the very soft reset - the trigger springs are so soft that it almost feels like there's no resistance in either direction...

When I bought a .40 conversion for the pistol, it would eject brass directly back into my face - hard enough to crack my Oakley shooting glasses. When I sent it back to Sig with a description of the problem and the ammunition that I'm REQUIRED to carry on duty, they tested with a different brand and weight of ammunition, determined there was no problem, and sent it back untouched. That's the point when I wrote off the pistol, and Sig-Sauer as a whole...

Regards,

Kevin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast