Hey folks,

I've recently been seeing that my local range (dirt "canyon" in national forest land) is increasingly attracting more inexperienced shooters. While it's not dangerous to the degree that I'm expecting to get shot, and I'm not expecting anything intentional, I think it would be prudent to take some measures for my own safety. I've been looking at getting some anti-ricochet & backsplatter armor for a while now, so this seems like a pretty good time to knock down a couple birds. The constraining factor here is that I don't own any armor right now, and I am on a pretty tight budget, since I am a student.

Due to the topology of the site, I think my main concern is frontal protection. After doing some research, I think my best and most inexpensive option is to get a plate carrier and a steel plate in front. I know soft armor has better coverage, but it's all pretty expensive, and doesn't handle rifle shots. I also know that steel is heavy, but I'm not fastroping through skylights or anything, so the weight isn't my cardinal issue.

Right now I'm looking at the BattleLab FAPC carrier, since it's inexpensive, looks relatively manageable, and I'm looking for some magazine carrying ability, too. Also, while it is pretty militant in appearance, it's something I think I could conceivably wear under a coat, and not get too much attention for.

My main concern now is for the plates. I've been shopping around, and like I mentioned before, I'm pretty sure my only affordable choice is getting a steel plate. Thing is, quite a few places offer different steel plates at prices around $100. Is there a particular plate on the market that's a better choice than the others?

Offhand right now, I'm looking at offerings from BulletProofMe.com, Tamiami, and Kejo. Does anyone have experience with these, with a recommendation?

Are there any others I should know about?

Thoughts & comments are appreciated