Page 51 of 92 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Why My DPMS, Del-Ton, Oly Arms, Etc. Is Better Than Anything Else Thread

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am blown away that this guy is still rambling...
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Booney

wasn't calling you out per se. But as a fellow LEO, and knowing the available high quality tier 1 AR's manufactured by reputable companies I just found it unnerving that you used the "affordability" argument. Especially when the price difference between say a BM, RRA, or DPMS as compared to BCM, DD, even Colt is less than a couple C notes. Adding tacticool furniture versus investing in a quality firearm is just silly. But hopefully you can glean some good info here. Check the known issues that are common with RRA and fix, upgrade, replace as needed to make it run better and be more reliable. It will only save you money and stress in the long run.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Rob_s

I don't see you as an asshole, I know you're an asshole.
    Your mind set and approach are similar to mine in how I perform my job.

"Just the facts ma'am, just the facts"
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    ...I originally formulated the chart on my own from my own research..
    Always wondered who made the chart.

I've printed and handed it to a few coworkers (Wronghaven nearby?).

Some really saw the light, and others just a glimpse. But it did help most of them get better products.

So I appreciate your efforts.

Kinda late, but well intentioned nonetheless.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A word about Mag Particle Inspection and Borescoping-

They are two completely different processes. MPI is used to find cracks, laps, seams, voids, pits, subsurface holes and other surface or slightly subsurface discontinuities in ferro-magnetic materials. The part being MPI'ed is magnetized and a magnetic dust is spread over it. The flaws will caused disruptions in the magnetic flows and the magnetic dust will form around the flows to expose these disruptions. After the inspection, the part is degaussed to "un-magnetize" it.

Borescoping would be used to search for the exposed imperfections along the inside the bore that would be revealed by the MPI process. Borescoping after the MPI and degaussing would allow the inspector to search for flaws that aren't revealed by the MPI process and to ensure all the magnetic media has been removed.

I don't know that is the why or that's what they do. Just speculating based on my own experience using Magnafluxing (MPI) to inspect aircraft wheels & wheel bolts and borescoping turbine engines
    Last edited by MistWolf; 12-07-10 at 13:35.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra66 View Post
    Wow, this has been an interesting train wreck to watch, hopefully everyone comes away with something.

What I have a hard time believing is that so many guys who are obviously seriously into shooting and tactics had no idea who Paul Howe is

I'm not going to try to defend the man, as he is the last one who needs it, but I will say as a student of his, he has never pushed any particular product or manufacturer. He tells it like it is plain and simple, what works what doesn't. Now what works for him and what doesn't is based on his experience just like everyone else, but this is a man who has far more experience than most of us here will ever have.

I am also one of those guys who brought a comp to his class. His comments on comps do bring up some potential flaws in my rifle. As for not having a tactical background, well my 12 years military was spent on a 63 ton beast or in the S2 shop so when it comes to small arms he is absolutely correct - I take no offense in it.

Like everyone else here, I have to take the input from people at the range, in classes, and on the forums, and then consider the source when applying to how I do things. So in the end, I suspect this will be a good thread.
    I think you summed things up well especially with Howe.

What kind of comp were you using? I have a battle comp on one of my guns and love it. It is on a 10.5” bbl which is obnoxious either way you cut it. I did not notice a difference in noise.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Rob is right about manufacturers noticing their position on the chart. A large AR manufacturer that I consult for has asked me about moving up in the chart and what is needed in order to do that.

In the end, this benefits the the consumer (which is the goal).

C4
    Quote Originally Posted by seacoastnh View Post
    It is unfortunate that they did not ask how to make a higher quality AR.
    "How to make a higher quality AR." = "Moving up in the chart."

It's not a difficult concept to understand.
    Last edited by justin_247; 12-07-10 at 18:07.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Justin you beat me to it.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    some of us suffer from the same affliction as this guy.

Absolutely LOVE it!!!!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I stay clear of all the back and forth in threads like these but what I don't comprehend is that for me, I have been an AR variant owner since I was old enough to own one. The past few years on this forum I have learned 10x more than what I knew in the prior 15 years of owning an AR. What I'm trying to say is I can not comprehend why anyone would argue the facts. I sold my BM (which gave me no trouble for how often I used it) and sold my upper that had a poor quality barrel. I now own several ARs that may not be super expensive but are made well enough that I will have no problems defending myself or others and I went from about 1000 rounds per year to about 1000+ rounds a month of practicing. Having good quality equipment, for me, made me more eager to train and build my shooting skills. Some people here can't seem to get their head out of their rear ends and insist that their uneducated purchase of an AR is the greatest. End rant....
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Page 51 of 92 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast