Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MK-16/17 SCAR gallery from OEF-A

Feedback Score
    The dogs name is SCAR!

Great info. Hopefully FN will offer longer rails ( chassis ) on the Mk16 and 17. Something akin to the Mk20 SSR.

I myself will take the less weight with the shorter rails.

How is the maintenance between the AR and SCAR platform? Is the SCAR really easier to keep up with over there in the sand and mud etc.. ?

Great pics and thanks again.
    Last edited by SRT-M4; 10-24-10 at 12:41.

Feedback Score
    So the SCAR's selector switch can't be reached with the thumb when sitting on safe?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    So the SCAR's selector switch can't be reached with the thumb when sitting on safe?
    It can be reached effectively, it just doesn't feel as natural to me as it does with an AR. To be fair having a lot of time with an M4 is probably a contributing factor. Messing with it leads me to believe that the original 45 degree design would work a lot better. However it's my understanding that the civilian release SCARS still have the 45 degree switch.
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 10-24-10 at 15:21.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT-M4 View Post
    How is the maintenance between the AR and SCAR platform? Is the SCAR really easier to keep up with over there in the sand and mud etc.. ?
    The SCAR is a little easier. While deployed I only cleaned the piston once every couple weeks or so and I'm not convinced it needed it even then. This is pure observation on my part but it seems like carbon buildup on the piston reaches equilibrium and doesn't require much in the way of maintenance. As part of T&E before we deployed I didn't clean the SCAR for several months while doing a lot of training and shooting. Not a hiccup. While deployed daily maintenance was a matter of pulling the BCG, wiping off the dust, wiping out the upper, lubing, and that was about it. It's important to note that no oil, lube etc should be put on the piston or into the gas block. That part of the rifle is designed to be run dry.
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 10-24-10 at 15:24.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    between this thread, Stephen's and Hootiewho's threads, and the FN employees who are members, this forum is the go-to place for SCAR info.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    The SCAR is a little easier. While deployed I only cleaned the piston once every couple weeks or so and I'm not convinced it needed it even then. This is pure observation on my part but it seems like carbon buildup on the piston reaches equilibrium and doesn't require much in the way of maintenance. As part of T&E before we deployed I didn't clean the SCAR for several months while doing a lot of training and shooting. Not a hiccup. While deployed daily maintenance was a matter of pulling the BCG, wiping off the dust, wiping out the upper, lubing, and that was about it. It's important to note that no oil, lube etc should be put on the piston or into the gas block. That part of the rifle is designed to be run dry.
    I tend to agree with you on the piston. I've got about 3000 suppressed rounds through my 16S CQC (2k of those since the barrel was chopped) and have yet to even pull the piston out. I lubricate the BCG regularly, but that is the extent of my maintenance.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Stephen,

Do you think a 16s with the barrel chopped to 14" would need any gas port work like yours did when you went to 10"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Stephen,

Do you think a 16s with the barrel chopped to 14" would need any gas port work like yours did when you went to 10"?
    Probably depends on the muzzle device. SRT-M4 chopped his to 14.5" and may be able to provide a solid answer for you. I believe he had to open it up a hair, but others have not. Also, ammo is a big part of the equation. Mil-spec ammo runs a little hotter than commercial ammo and may not need a port adjustment.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    between this thread, Stephen's and Hootiewho's threads, and the FN employees who are members, this forum is the go-to place for SCAR info.
    100% agree. I love this stuff!

Big thanks to all of the guys who take the time to write all of this info on these forums.
    Last edited by SRT-M4; 10-24-10 at 19:52.

Feedback Score
    Stephen,

On my 14.5 cut barreled SCAR I had to open the gas port up from
    .055 to .063. That is how I got the bolt to stay open on the last round while shooting WOLF 55 grain and PMC 55 grain.

I am using the Blackout 51T Flash Hider M.I.T.E.R. Mount which is perm. attached to the barrel.

My SCAR has had zero malfunctions since opening up my gas port.

I have read that another guy cut his bbl to 14.5'' and didnt have to do anything to his port.

Last edited by SRT-M4; 10-24-10 at 19:51.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast