Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scar 17s range report

Feedback Score

Scar 17s range report

Fellas,

I took my Scar Heavy FDE out yesterday to the range for the first time to zero in my Comp M4 w/ LRP mount and standard spacer. I also have a 3x aimpoint magnifier w/ LaRue pivot (649-30T) attached. It was a cold day but very nice weather and a little bit of wind. I am by no means a great shot and have very little experience w/ assault rifles in general. I was also shooting Hornady 150 gr. SST. Once it was sighted in at 100 yards, I was shooting 10 shot groups 4 inches or less. I also shot a couple 3 shot groups that were 1 inch or less. Like I said, I have little experience. I could feel myself pulling the gun off the target many times when I was shooting more than 3 shot groups. I was using a couple sandbags on a bench which really helped out. I am posting this because I have read mixed reviews of the accuracy of this weapon. This rifle shoots a ton better than I expected. I am going back to the range today to see if I can achieve the same results or better. This is probably my 7th time EVER to go to a firing range. (I have land where I can shoot whenever, but it doesn't help when sighting in a rifle) Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who is nervous about the SCAR 17s HEAVY's accuracy. Thanks for the time.

Oh, and by the way, I am going to put the aimpoint w/ magnifier on the LMT CQB 16" 5.56 piston rifle I have and buy a nice scope for the 17s. I am going to get either swarovski z6i, Mark 8 CQBSS, or S&B short dot.
    Last edited by Arkansas; 01-14-12 at 10:39.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    4" at 100 yards with a RDS is actually not too bad for someone who's only been shooting seven times. Learn the fundamentals and how to apply them and then practice and you'll see a lot of improvement. Dry firing is your friend. If you're really new to shooting a carbine class will teach you how to practice and keep you from just converting money into noise.

You shouldn't need to do anything to the rifle to make it shoot. If you're consistently having problems pulling you can try installing a MOE grip. It sets the trigger finger back half an inch and makes it easier to pull straight back. Another thing to remember s that if you're firing from the prone or with a rest you don't need to grip the pistol grip very hard. Get your trigger finger in position to pull straight back and then set the rest of your fingers and your hand lightly on the grip. If you use a rear bag and bipod you can even just use your fingertips to pull a slight rear pressure and not really grip with your firing hand at all.

The rifle itself should be very accurate. The ones I've seen shoot about 1-1.5 MOA with the mid length barrel. Some of them are even better than that. Try different loads to find the one that works best. Have fun and enjoy that rifle.
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 01-14-12 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    4" at 100 yards with a RDS is actually not too bad for someone who's only been shooting seven times. Learn the fundamentals and how to apply them and then practice and you'll get a lot better. Dry firing is your friend.

You shouldn't need to do anything to the rifle to make it shoot but one thing I found that made it a little easier to get proper trigger control was to install a Magpul MOE grip. It sets the trigger finger back half an inch and makes it easier to pull straight back. Another thing to remember s that if you're firing from the prone or with a rest you don't need to grip the pistol grip very hard. Get your trigger finger in position to pull straight back and then set the rest of your fingers and your hand lightly on the grip. If you use a rear bag and bipod you can even just use your fingertips to pull a slight rear pressure and not really grip with your firing hand at all.

The rifle itself should be very accurate. The ones I've seen shoot about 1-1.5 MOA with the mid length barrel. Some of them are even better than that. Try different loads to find the one that works best. Have fun and enjoy that rifle.
    Thanks for the advice! I need a different grip for sure. I will try the one you recommend. I am 6'3" so it sounds like it would be a perfect fit. I still get nervous before I pull the trigger. I don't know why, but it is like a surprise every time it goes off, even though the recoil is so minimum. I think it is just how loud the gun is? I don't know, but I am interested to see what I can do as I get more comfortable. I have been duck hunting my whole life and it surprises me how nervous I get pulling the trigger on the SCAR. I just want to hit the bullseye everytime! I think I might look into getting a different trigger set up? Does that sound like a good idea?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    No leave the gun pretty much alone. The SCAR trigger is actually pretty good. Your problem is software not hardware. I really recommend taking a class, it will fast forward your proficiency and is actually cheaper than blowing a lot of ammo on reinforcing bad habits.

SCARs with a comp are pretty loud. You might try double plugging ie ear plugs and muffs. It sounds like you're anticipating the shot and probably jerking the trigger. Dry fire and training are the best way to work through this. At a minimum find a good shooter to walk you through the fundamentals. The US Army Rifle Marksmanship Field Manual can point you in the right direction and the Snipers Hide online training is pretty good, but nothing can replace in-person instruction from a good trainer. He or she will be able to observe you and tell you what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong better than you can assess yourself.
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 01-14-12 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    No leave the gun pretty much alone. The SCAR trigger is actually pretty good. Your problem is software not hardware. I really recommend taking a class, it will fast forward your proficiency and is actually cheaper than blowing a lot of ammo on reinforcing bad habits.

SCARs with a comp are pretty loud. You might try double plugging ie ear plugs and muffs. It sounds like you're anticipating the shot and probably jerking the trigger. Dry fire and training are the best way to work through this. At a minimum find a good shooter to walk you through the fundamentals. The US Army Rifle Marksmanship Field Manual can point you in the right direction and the Snipers Hide online training is pretty good, but nothing can replace in-person instruction from a good trainer. He or she will be able to observe you and tell you what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong better than you can assess yourself.
    10-4. Thanks for your help. I thought I could get by without a class but I guess a few wouldn't be a bad idea. Seeing how well this gun shoots with a novice behind the trigger is very motivating. Ill be back to post more on how I shoot today.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No leave the gun pretty much alone. The SCAR trigger is actually pretty good.
    Actually the trigger on my 17s is pretty bad. I've heard it cleans up considerably with use, but out of the box, it makes the HK9X trigger look pretty good. I hope it smooths out, the Geissele is darn expensive.

Feedback Score
    I took the SCAR HEAVY back out today and I shot even better than yesterday! I was much more comfortable behind the trigger. The trigger doesn't bother me the more I put more rounds down range. I shot a couple groups of 10 at 100 yards and I kept them all under 3 inches. I really would like to put a scope on this bad boy. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I had better results today.

Feedback Score
    Good thread! Also very nice of mmckinley to go out of his way to give you advice.

Definitely agree that like with anything, if you don't have someone watching you who knows what he is doing to work with you, you won't get the maximum out of the rifle.

Feedback Score
    BTW, Arkansas, how light does the SCAR feel compared to other 308 battle rifles you may have handled? Like a FAL or an AR based rifle? Is it really noticeable as many have reported?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm can't comment on the SCAR17 since I don't own one, however I can offer you a bit of comparative data in regards to your ammo selection.

I recently evaluated the Hornady 150gr. SST through my new MWS, and it's easily one of my favorite loads for it. Its very clean shooting ammo, and has very mild recoil as well outta all the different types of .308/7.62 factory ammo Ive evaluated thus far.

I'd stick with your ammo choice if your trying to ultimately evaluate the rifle's accuracy as it's very, very capable stuff.

Good luck and stick with it, it will all come together eventually for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast