Thread: M4carbine.net new member assumptions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC Nubby View Post
    Having been a part of a number of forums, I have seen this particular phenomenon happen pretty frequently. I don't think that Rob has bad advice; quite the contrary in fact. However, I think that a lot of this is preaching to the choir as it were.
    I want to stress again that this thread is not about generic "use the search button newb" kinds of forum ettiquete.

This thread is about describing the culture and attitude of M4C for new posters to better understand the kinds of answers they're likely to get to their questions. It also isn't about a tacked post that they will hopefully read as much as it's about an archived thread that members can throw up links to when new posters seem confused.

My, perhaps arrogant, hope is that between this, Go Shoot the Gun, and An Un-qualified Opinion we have a repository of threads we can link new posters to that help them better utilize the knowledgebase that is unique to M4C.

I couldn't care less about teaching people forum etiquette.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I know there is a movement on M4C to just ignore obvious ARFCOM-style posters, but the problem is, if you don't set the tone immediately, they WILL end up taking over the forum, as is evidenced by the increased volume of "how do I fix this itty bitty cosmetic boo boo on my blem lower?"/"Will brand X upper color match my brand Y lower?"/"Does this set of rails make my ass look fat?" style of posts.
    And here I thought I just needed more exercise.....

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Rob, I knew I liked this forum better than the other one; and it didn't take long to figure it out.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    Rob, I knew I liked this forum better than the other one; and it didn't take long to figure it out.
    If only the OP still applied...

Now instead we are supposed to molly-coddle those that post pictures of a "build" with "the best parts" but no experience with the platform, ignore patently ridiculous posts from other members simply because they've been here awhile, but attack the personality of anyone that may have something pertinent to say simply because we don't like them, or the way they say it, or the fact that what they are presenting may make our previous statements look a little silly. Oh, and buy triggers, benchrest guns, magnified optics, and muzzle brakes. For our twice yearly trips to the static range.

welcome to arfcom, 2.0.

Feedback Score
    My problem is when I ask a somewhat newbie question...usually about parts fit or quality...not about cosmetics...LOL...I don't know who on this website to believe.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: M4carbine.net new member assumptions

Quote Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
    My problem is when I ask a somewhat newbie question...usually about parts fit or quality...not about cosmetics...LOL...I don't know who on this website to believe.
    Therein lies the value of the the search button. Immediately accessible verification of information.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    As a new member of this site since 03/14 I can offer my own personal observations. First and foremost, I can clearly see there are individuals here that know far more about the AR platform than I. As such... my outlook has been to "actually read" and learn as much as I can prior to asking a question. Yes at times, I'll read a post and wonder ... why was it closed or why was the answer one in which I did not expect. The reality of the situation is this... I'm learning. I may feel an answer was short and it may be one I don't agree with but at the end of the day.... I'm here to learn and not let my emotions believe I've been butt hurt!! Plain and simple.

We all learn from those who have gone before us.
    Last edited by C4LT1; 10-24-14 at 21:28.