Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A Beginners/Buyers Guide to the HK USP Series of Handguns

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scootle View Post
    How does the factory LEM option compare to what I've seen mentioned as "light" LEM configuration? I'm not a huge fan of DA/SA, so I am very motivated to look into changing my pending USPc into a LEM variant.
    My understanding is that the LEM modification is strictly for DAO pistols to make the pull manageable. I don't think they're directly comparable to the DA/SA. If I had to guess, the LEM modification is for PD's that mandate Double Action. I would think DA/SA is the only way to go if you had a choice.

Any experts that know this for sure please chime in!

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FishTaco View Post
    My understanding is that the LEM modification is strictly for DAO pistols to make the pull manageable. I don't think they're directly comparable to the DA/SA. If I had to guess, the LEM modification is for PD's that mandate Double Action. I would think DA/SA is the only way to go if you had a choice.

Any experts that know this for sure please chime in!
    DAO is an available trigger option from HK (variant 5 and 6). However, with the availability of the LEM trigger I don't know why anyone would want it. It is probably only there to satisfy random backwards thinking departments that mandate a certain heavy trigger weight and consistent trigger pull, think NYPD with the heavy NY springs in their glocks.

I think LEM is superior to DA/SA in a few ways. First off people involved in shootings don't usually remember how heavy a trigger pull is but they do remember how long it is. With a LEM trigger you get the length of the DA pull but at a much more manageable weight (anywhere from 4.5-8lbs depending on spring combo). Plus once you get through the first long trigger pull you have a short reset for fast follow up shots basically identical to a DA/SA. Then, with the LEM you simply release the trigger and it is the equivalent of de-cocking a DA/SA gun.

With a DA/SA in the role of law enforcement you can imagine a situation where an officer fires a few shots and then needs to immediately re-holster and go hands on. It is easy to see in that situation where you may holster in SA forgetting to de-cock. In the same situation with a LEM you would simply release the trigger and the trigger goes fully forward thus ensuring that when you need it again your back to the long first pull.

These are just my thoughts and have been stated on other forums in the past.

Excellent reading on this subject:

http://pistol-training.com/archives/8549
    Last edited by Serpico1985; 04-30-15 at 07:27.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345