Thread: A Beginners/Buyers Guide to the HK USP Series of Handguns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I read often, have posted little, and tend to keep my mouth shut and learn here....

I have a USPc .40 LEM that has been my issued weapon since 2004. It has an AC series serial# and has well in excess of 30K through it. It is armorer-maintained. It has suffered 3 breakdowns during this period. Two were related to the firing pin. I know there is much discussion on where/when the pin design was changed. I do know mine was the original design and broke at approximately the 12K point. The breakage caused the weapon to sieze approximately 1/4" out of battery and required a trip to the armorer to disassemble and repair. The same old-style pin was replaced and broke again in the same fashion approximately 3K later. Another trip to the doctor was required. This time, a newly-designed pin was installed and it has run trouble free since. And to answer the question...yes, I have used snap caps religiously since it was issued to me. The only other problem was the breakage of the flat spring at around 30K. (I no longer count rounds through it.)

Although I have a love/hate relationship with the LEM trigger, I am comfortable and have complete confidence in this gun. I take care of it, but certainly don't baby it. It's a tool and that's how it's treated. It certainly isn't a bullseye gun, and is at it's best when run fast. I don't find the reset distance an issue (well used to it by now).

I also have an identical POW that has about half the round count through it. The armorer was kind enough to replace the pin on that as well, and it has been 100% trouble free since new.

I dislike the proprietary rail system on it, and compared to a SIG or Glock, it has a bit more "snap" to it during recoil. No doubt a combo of the poly frame and higher bore axis. Nothing that isn't trainable obviously. I have come to love the mag release and actually prefer it to the conventional thumb-side button.

Holsters are easily obtained, and when on my own dime, usually carry in either a C-TAC or a Indicernable that Mark Garrity made for me a few years back.

Just one man's opinion.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ECAM View Post
    I read often, have posted little, and tend to keep my mouth shut and learn here....

I have a USPc .40 LEM that has been my issued weapon since 2004. It has an AC series serial# and has well in excess of 30K through it. It is armorer-maintained. It has suffered 3 breakdowns during this period. Two were related to the firing pin. I know there is much discussion on where/when the pin design was changed. I do know mine was the original design and broke at approximately the 12K point. The breakage caused the weapon to sieze approximately 1/4" out of battery and required a trip to the armorer to disassemble and repair. The same old-style pin was replaced and broke again in the same fashion approximately 3K later. Another trip to the doctor was required. This time, a newly-designed pin was installed and it has run trouble free since. And to answer the question...yes, I have used snap caps religiously since it was issued to me. The only other problem was the breakage of the flat spring at around 30K. (I no longer count rounds through it.)

Although I have a love/hate relationship with the LEM trigger, I am comfortable and have complete confidence in this gun. I take care of it, but certainly don't baby it. It's a tool and that's how it's treated. It certainly isn't a bullseye gun, and is at it's best when run fast. I don't find the reset distance an issue (well used to it by now).

I also have an identical POW that has about half the round count through it. The armorer was kind enough to replace the pin on that as well, and it has been 100% trouble free since new.

I dislike the proprietary rail system on it, and compared to a SIG or Glock, it has a bit more "snap" to it during recoil. No doubt a combo of the poly frame and higher bore axis. Nothing that isn't trainable obviously. I have come to love the mag release and actually prefer it to the conventional thumb-side button.

Holsters are easily obtained, and when on my own dime, usually carry in either a C-TAC or a Indicernable that Mark Garrity made for me a few years back.

Just one man's opinion.

Thanks for your input. Other than the run of bad firing pins, the USP series hasnt had any glaring flaws. I dislike the .40SW cartridge, especially in Compact USPs, just like you said, it tends to jump a little too much. The .45 compact shoots softer than the .40, in my opinion

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydkristmas View Post
    Thanks for your input. Other than the run of bad firing pins, the USP series hasnt had any glaring flaws. I dislike the .40SW cartridge, especially in Compact USPs, just like you said, it tends to jump a little too much. The .45 compact shoots softer than the .40, in my opinion
    Thanks for the informative post. I own a USPc .40 as well and although I don't like the jump I'm relieved to know that it's not just me.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't make a huge difference for me, but I like the USP style magazine catch more than the standard JMB style.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    It doesn't make a huge difference for me, but I like the USP style magazine catch more than the standard JMB style.
    Same here, but I can also see why some people wouldnt like it.....A lot of guys who I let try the USP (who have never shot HKs before) have a hell of a time with the mag release. I guess its one of those things you have to get used to, but once you do, you learn to like it.

Im used to the USP mag release, and I dont care for the pushbutton style a la Glock, Sig, etc

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe it's my smaller "girlie hands" but my mag changes are waaay faster and smoother. The amount of adjustment of the pistol in hand for the followup is minmial as well. More likely a training issue at this point, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Feedback Score
    Bringing this thread back from the dead. I tried the HK USP in 45 ACP (first time shooting 45) and I like the USP and all, but I wish the mag release paddle was a bit bigger.
    My question is whether or not it can be upgraded in any way to a wider paddle like some of the newer HK pistols?

Would be an interesting mod if possible and I really enjoy the mag release on HK pistols compared to a lot of other pistols.
    Anyway, thank you for the mass amount of information on the pistol and creating this thread, lloydkristmas.