Thread: Anyone tried Midwest Tactical AK47s?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Anyone tried Midwest Tactical AK47s?

Have been considering picking up another rifle for fun and am considering an AK (may still go 308 instead). I saw a little blurb on some "custom" AKs made by Midwest Tactical in Gun Digest I happened to flip through at the grocery store and it peaked my interest. Here's what appears to be a YouTube version of the review:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFJolGIB-eI

Have searched around a bit and found zero feedback (guessing they're relative now) but figured I'd see if anyone had any experience with them, good, bad, or indifferent:
    http://www.atfmachinegun.com/ak47.htm

Still not sure if the dude who wrote is just shilling for the company or they represent a legimitate alternative to something like an Arsenal or Krebs. Opinions?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "A Hungarian milled kit, mated to an Elk River stamped receiver"?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    40 or 50 year old used parts kit on a reverse engineered US stamped receiver, all for the "low price" of $900.....

**** that.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    "A Hungarian milled kit, mated to an Elk River stamped receiver"?
    Where'd you see that? I don't see that on the page I posted (Maybe I'm blind). I don't know what the the implications would be anyway.

EDIT: I did a quick search, and looks like some fairly negative comments about the quality of Elk River receivers. Where did you get the above?
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    40 or 50 year old used parts kit on a reverse engineered US stamped receiver, all for the "low price" of $900.....

**** that.
    Cool. That answers that then. Thanks for the help!
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post

**** that.
    What’s the matter? Not into the Ass-rape Kalashnikov?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacbol View Post
    Where'd you see that? I don't see that on the page I posted (Maybe I'm blind). I don't know what the the implications would be anyway.

EDIT: I did a quick search, and looks like some fairly negative comments about the quality of Elk River receivers. Where did you get the above?
    Well, its in the video, at the 23 second mark.

"With a top notch trigger mated to a Hungarian milled parts kit, inside a stamped receiver made in the USA by Elk River"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    Well, its in the video, at the 23 second mark.

"With a top notch trigger mated to a Hungarian milled parts kit, inside a stamped receiver made in the USA by Elk River"
    D'oh. Figured. I didn't rewatch it and it didn't originally catch my attention.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    What’s the matter? Not into the Ass-rape Kalashnikov?
    Not sure what you're implying, but Templar has forgotten more about the Kalashnikov platorm than most of us will ever know. When he speaks, we should listen.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I was joking and implying nothing other than $900 should get you a whole lot more than the one in the OP. I have caught on the the fact that Templar is the AK man and have already learned a great deal from him in my short time here.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 10-11-10 at 13:24.